usefulness of "AR-pistols"

simonrichter

I just wondered what actual use these so called "AR-pistols" in .223 or even 7,62x39 have... According to ballisticsbytheinch, out of a 3" barrel a .223 does not produce significantly more power than a .32 acp...

They are novelty firearms to me but a really cool novelty item..:D. I would like to have on myself but it would never be more to me than a check this thing out firearm in my collection.

I have a couple of them and find the more I shoot them, the more I like them, and the more uses for them becomes readily apparent.

Dont know where the 3" barrel is coming from, and other than maybe one YouTube video showing one work with basically no barrel, Ive not seen one shorter than 7.5". Mine are 10.5", my kid has one thats 7.5". Muzzle blast with the 10.5" isnt all that bad. The 7.5" in OBNOXIOUS!

With a 10.5" barrel, at 50-60 yards, a rabbit still turns into a meat grenade with a 55gr Nosler BT, just like my 16" guns. A .32 it aint! :)

While they call them "pistols", they are really just short barrel rifles. You lose a little velocity, but they shoot just like a rifle for the most part.

I built myself a 8.5" barrel pistol in 300 blackout, i shoot it two handed and with the brace with supersonic ammo. What a hoot this thing is to shoot, low recoil ( Loud Mouth Faxon muzzle brake ), very noisy ( same muzzle brake) and you quickly learn how to shoot it as an extension of your arm and even point shooting it is quite accurate at fifty yards.
It is really cool to fire at dirt clods, chunks of brick or soda cans providing great entertainment and worth the investment. Pratical? Not hardly!

I'm not exactly sure what the OP is referring to. I've never once seen an AR pistol with a 3" barrel. Most AR pistols I've seen have 10.5" barrels, and many others are 7.5".

The purpose of an AR pistol is to get around the SBR laws. If you use an AR for home defense, then the compactness of an AR pistol is nice, expecially if you have a silencer on it.

I have a 10.5" SBR with a silencer as my primary home defense weapon. Even with the silencer attached, it's still slightly shorter than a regular 16" AR. And the 10.5" barrel is just long enough that I still get pretty good effectiveness, especially if I use heavier bullets.

If this rifle was an AR pistol with an "arm brace" instead of an SBR, it could still serve the same purpose and be used in almost the exact same way.

Now, many other people use their AR pistols as just fun range toys, especially the people who have 7.5" barrels. And that's fine too. But AR pistols can be practical firearms depending on how they're used.

Theo, Agree it can make a great home protection piece especially when suppressed, mine is not set up that way and too loud for shooting indoors. I keep a G 19 close by equipped with a light and my alarm system activated.
I have a lower and upper set stamped inside "pistol" and may decide to put it together as a supressed weapon for indoor use....still contemplating that issue.

Actual use? I see them used for everything from range toys, to defensive, to handly little brush guns for pigs or deer. The AR15 platform is so modular that with all the different calibers you can do just about anything with one.

I agree!!

That's among the silliest "pocket pistols" I have seen. Would like to see it shot over a chronograph myself, I got a little "feeling" they aren't getting 1,400 FPS with plain ol ball ammo. Heck the barrel must be maybe 3"??

A solution in search of a problem.

I don't know why Heizer Defense calls that an "AR pistol" when it's nothing of the sort. Just because something shoots .223/5.56, that doesn't make it an AR-15.

I agree it's a stupid and pointless product.

A .223 in a pocket pistol...someone's idea of a bad joke.

Actual AR pistols, um, it depends on a lot of factors. Laws, suppressors, intended use are all things which can be pros or cons of them.

Overall

Shooting rifle rounds in a pistol........WHY?

Yes the huge cloud of flame is "fun" until you realize that cloud of flame is your velocity.......going up in flames. Makes no sense whatsoever.

I can understand the logic IF the barrel is long enough to let the freakin powder burn in a confined space that actually contributes to bullet velocity.
The T/C pistols are a great example of rifle round in a pistol. In most cases the barrel is long enough to allow the round to develop some semblance of it's performance.

If one wants a flamethrower........they are available. And useful if you have weeds to burn up.

A suppresor is useful, it actually contributes something to my experience, a short barreled flamethrower does not.

I built an AR pistol in 5.56. I didn't do my homework, bought a 7.5" upper, and now I don't enjoy shooting it because of the concussion. I'm deciding what to do with it.

I just bought an AR pistol in 9mm. Its a CMMG MK9. I love this gun. Its everything I thought the 5.56 was going to be. CMMG lists it as a Personal Defense Weapon, and for home defense, I think its about perfect.

Back