Used or New. . . Whats the BEST deal you've gotten on a Revolver lately?

mellow_c

I recently purchased a GP100 4" blued with a factory Hogue rubber grip.

The revolver had very minimal wear to the front edges of the barrel and the cylinder, not very noticeable unless you look closely. It also has a few minor scratches here and there from general handling, but all pretty light and not very noticeable.

It doesn't have much of a turn line at all, the bluing is still not even close to worn through on the cylinder. The breach face doesn't have much of a circular mark on it from cases being forced against it during firing.

So although it's probably been handled and carried a bit, it's still in good cosmetic shape. It has seen very few rounds and is in perfect mechanical condition.

The reason I got it for such a good price was that the rear sight blade was broken in half, and only half of it remained. But there was no other damage to the revolver leading me to believe that the sight blade blade broke due to the revolver being dropped or hit against anything.

I did a bit of searching online and found that other owners have had the rear sight blade break on their GP100's just from shooting... so this part apparently has the potential to break, if you get one that happens to have a weak point I suppose.

after purchasing the revolver, I put in a call to Ruger and they of course sent out a new rear sight blade free of charge.

Ruger has always provided excellent customer service in my experience, and I'd stand by them any day.

After installing the rear sight blade, and cleaning the revolver to virtual perfection. I now have a almost new mechanically, only just noticeably blemished, 4" blued GP100 (Gun only).

And it cost me. . .

$333.00

Out the door.

I might have to check again, I'm pretty sure that was the final out the door price, if it was more than that (I honestly don't remember) it was only $10.

What's the best deal you've gotten on a revolver lately?

:)

Last edited:
Two project old style Vaquero's in a trade for about $200.00 each. One is shootable the other is not. I'm have a home for abandoned Vaquero's. The guns are near indestructible save from Bubba.

I got a Smith and Wesson, Model 581 (no dash) with a 4" barrel, in nickel, for $400.00 just before the end of last year. The previous owner had put a Hogue grip on it, and apparently left it there forever. There was some kind of black "goo" under the grips, no idea what, but could have been scraped off with a knife blade. I used Flitz and Ren wax to clean it up as best I could, but I didn't want to risk damaging the nickel finish, so I quit while I was ahead. I replaced the Hogues with a set of Smith and Wesson football target grips that I had in a drawer here, and the old girl looks nice enough to take out in polite company again. Shoots fine too.

enhance

enhance

As new Beretta by Uberti Bird's Head Stampede. No turn line I could see, very clean..in 357/38, 3.5inch barrel. Shoots like a breeze.
$300...

Last edited:
I just got a S&W heavy barrel model 10 with factory nickle plating and original grips from my mother. It was her duty gun when she worked at the Tarrant county Sheriffs Dept. And the price... free.:D

Last edited:
Lately?

A consecutively numbered, unfired, new-in-box pair of stainless 3 3/4" Ruger New Vaquero birdhead .45 acp's for $805 in October. ($692 ea from Buds)

An unfired, new-in-box Uberti S&W #3 .44 Russian for $655 yesterday. ($885 from Buds)

Ruger Wrangler.
They're cheaper now than what I paid, but I'm still happy with it.

Get one. You won't regret it. - Especially for $180-190.

Triple Lock

44 Special. Shipped December 1907.

Hardly any blue left and the grips are worn, so nobody else was interested.

$650. Which is unheard of for a Triple Lock.

Still locks up tight and shoots well.

pmKfgwaLj

Wow.

To every single one of you.

Wow.

One decent deal in there. One or two good deals.

The rest were great deals!

And then you can't beat Mom :-)

Good stuff.

A 1980s Charter .357 6 inch that was LNIB, actually, more like NIB, it was unfired.

I could tell because the cylinder stop (IDK what it is, it's what I call it and it's an area on the frame that that appears to stop the cylinder from moving too far towards the recoil shield so it helps guide/locate the cylinder in the right place when it gets closer) was not properly done at the factory and the cylinder would not swing out all the way.

I did have to file that stop down to get the cylinder to swing out correctly, but once done, this revolver has been excellent. Super accurate, so light and easy to point and aim with, Charter was just on the ball with their revolvers in the 80s, a time when people were more focused on having more heft because that was the indicator of long term quality.

Hey, I'm not putting .357 thru this thing all the time, mostly it's .38's. I know, I know, "should have gotten a .38 then like a Model 10 for the same price" Hey, I don't know of any Model 10 that can also shoot .357.

Picked up an older Security Six 4" for $350.00. Polished the internals and installed a lighter main spring and shoots as good as any gun I've ever owned, and 100% reliable.

Last year, a .22lr 6" stainless (Monson) Dan Wesson 722 for $250 cash OTD.

No tools, and the cylinder stop appears to be welded in.

Also came with a modified 1911 holster with an extra strap that really only works if it's carried with the hammer cocked.

Best deal? I had a customer who's husband had died, she asked if I knew anything about guns as her husband had a gun and she didnt know what to do with it, was going to turn it in to the police station.
She brought out a big coffee can and in the bottom was an unloaded S&W 36 revolver and 45 rounds of .38 special wadcutters, all covered in dog hair. Her husband bought the gun years ago, went into the woods, fired 5 rounds to make sure the gun worked, and put it in the coffee can and in his closet, and there it sat for a couple decades. I offered to buy it, she asked if $125 was too much to ask for it, and I couldn't get the money out if my pocket fast enough. I offered her more, but she wouldn't accept.
Best deal I ever had. Gun cleaned up beautifully and was like-new.

Best deal I got on a revolver was a couple years back. I actually struck gold twice in that time frame. One was a used S&W model 64 that was in really good condition for $225 OTD and the other was a Ruger GP100 in stainless, .357, 3 inch barrel good condition for $300OTD.

I picked up a smith and wesson model 66-5 with a 3 inch barrel for 600 last month. Its pretty much a new revolver. I didnt think that was too bad for a 1000 dollar gun.

I don't know that it's a killer deal, but Buds is selling the 3" GP100 44 Special with rubber grips for $565 brand new, they were over $600.

Mod 36 Flat Latch with 3" barrel from 1961 for $399. Not a great deal but well worth what I paid.
Factory box and tools. Some finish wear but no pitting or rust.
Mod_36_box.jpg

Mod 36 Flat Latch with 3" barrel from 1961 for $399. Not a great deal but well worth what I paid.
Factory box and tools. Some finish wear but no pitting or rust.
Mod_36_box.jpg
You did VERY well IMO. Those are fantastic revolvers. I have a friend that has one, but refuses to sell it even though it just sits in his safe.

Back