Used LE firearms

Since I have 0 interest in 9s or 40s rarely do I find a police trade in that I would buy.

My LGS actually had several S&W 4586's in stock from the Elgin, IL PD. Not my cup of tea (Had one and sold it. Didn't care for the DAO on it), but rock-solid reliable.

While a used LE firearm has seen a lot of duty wear, it is supposed to be serviced annually by the departmental armorer. This includes a detailed stripping, cleaning and function testing. I'd buy one after I function check it.

While a used LE firearm has seen a lot of duty wear, it is supposed to be serviced annually by the departmental armorer
While this may be the case for some agencies, it is far from a standard practice today.

I bought a Beretta 92FS years ago that had the guy's badge number inscribed on the baseplates of the mags. It was $269 because it looked like it had been drug behind a truck on a gravel road. Ok, not that bad, but there was a LOT of holster wear. I replaced the dinged-up grips with Hogue panels and proceeded to shoot 10K rounds through it over the next decade, maybe cleaning it once. Sold it last year for $350. :)

My fishing buddy is the kitchen manager at our County Jail. He is a Sherrif's Deputy, so he carries the full complement of doodads on a belt - including Taser and pistol. I would LOVE to buy one of his trade-ins! He qualifies once per year, shoots a total of 2 mags then holsters it.

The larger police organizations typically keep their weapons in pretty good shape. I wouldn't have a problem buying one vs. from any other source assuming I could inspect it first.

Here are a couple more places to look...

Mark @ summit is a great guy to work with...

http://summitgunbroker.com/

AIM Surplus moves a lot of inventory...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/

Some people have no vision...

Before...

4366436142_bd798b01b9.jpg

After...

4369024750_fe9e5fe173.jpg

Trade in Model 67 from J&G Sales.

Last edited:
it depends upon the actual model of firearm. I have seen older ads for le turn in beretta 92s, that were at 10,000 or more known round counts. at that stage your likely going to need a new barrel/slide. easy way to get a 400 dollar gun to cost as much as a factory new gun.

This one came back from the grave. Oh well...

Most cops guns are carried a lot and shot very little. Most arrive looking like hell. Not always. Back around 1989 when I had an FFL I ordered a Model 27-2 that was a police surplus revolver and it arrived in new, unfired condition. Either never issued or it was given to a detective who never carried it concealed.

I have a slough of former cops guns and was never disappointed by any. Collectors of pristine guns will not be happy with them but I was.

Typically, I like them a whole damn lot. I judge their "use" and "wear" like any other used handgun. Some are fantastic deals, others are not. When I see a place that has 'em available, I'm always interested.

Locally, we've got a joint that tends to make large bids and they win large lots. So when they offer a particular model, you usually get the fun option of choosing from a countless array of them. That, all on it's own can be fun & interesting.

Also keep in mind that many LE issued guns are also maintained by a well-qualified armorer that has done a decent job of tuning or repairing or otherwise "kept up."

I picked through a group of eight heavy barrel Model 10s to pick one particular specimen, a circa 1994 Model 10-10. They had literally carved a three-digit number in to the bottom exterior of the trigger guard that looks absolutely horrendous. Imagine taking a rusty nail and scratching a 3-digit number in to the bluing on your revolver. :eek: However the accuracy, functionality and perhaps most important (to me, anyway) the cylinder timing is PERFECT and inspiring. I shoot this ugly duck so well that it's a pure joy on every range trip. For $250?! My only error was only getting one of these. :o

One note that might be worth passing along, though I cannot confirm:
It's been said that Smith & Wesson will not warranty guns that were sold to LE agencies when sent in by an individual. I would imagine S&W will still service them if possible, and I would think (hope?!) that they would do so at cost and not at some exorbitant price schedule, but I don't know.

To me, the only danger in buying a LE trade-in is if you happen to get one that was owned by the training academy. Those will have little or no carrying wear and lots of shooting wear.

The agencies that I dealt with when I was in LE sales assigned firearms to their cadets when entering the academy. When they graduated, the firearms went with them.

--
Mike

The only LEO trade in weapons that I would not consider buying would be S&W airweight J frame M37s. I have observed several that have developed stress cracks on the frame where the barrel is screwed in. I was told that the revolvers in question were fired with standard velocity ammunition. I personally would not take the chance.

It's really hard to 'shoot out' a gun

Possible but not too likely.
Most cops qualify once or twice a year and that's about all they shoot. The biggest factor might be in dings, dents, and surface erosion from every day use. It might make the gun look a little rough around the edges, but the internals ought to be in fine shape.

I have 2 turn ins one a S&W Mod 15-4 4" which was my issue weapon when we switched to the Sig 9mm $125.00 out the door and still tight in spite of firing many 38+P+ through it. Second is a Sig 228 9mm with foriegn proofmarks on it. it is more like a well used GI .45 but still puts them where they should hit.

I also have a couple of turn-ins. One is a S&W 15-4, which is the gun I was trained on and used in the Air Force. This one was also used by the school cops at a local college I graduated from, so there is another sentimental issue there. Great shooter!

The other is a S&W M65 which was listed as poor condition. The price was very appealing so I decided to see what I'd get. When it arrived the piece was totally scratched up and the grips were broken and falling apart. However, the action was tight and the trigger was the smoothest I'd ever encountered. An hour with a dremel tool polished out nearly all the scratches and a pachmayr grip that I had made it a very good firearm. It is also an excellent shooter.

Last edited:
Let's see. I've purchased the following LE trade-ins:

Glock 22 Gen 3- Came in great shape with almost no external wear and a shiney barrell. Functioned great. Traded it just because don't like the caliber.

S&W 4006- Carried a lot, but not shot. Internally, it came in great condition. Externally, it had a couple of scuffs and scratches. Eats everything and tames recoil pretty well (because it weighs a ton). This is the only 40S&W caliber gun that I shoot well, so I'm keeping it.

S&W 4586- Showed signs of carry and use, but functioned perfectly. Traded it because I didn't care for the DAO trigger all that much.

GP100 4" stainless- Security company trade-in. Showed signs of carry, but little use. Locked up just fine. A few minutes of Flitz made it look like new. Love this gun. It gets used often.

CZ82- I have no idea where it came from or how much it was used. It looked like is was put through hell when I got it, but the internals were almost pristine. Cleaned it up, shot it and fell in love with it. It's amazingly accurate and the trigger is just one of the best I've ever had.

I'm forgetting one, but whatever. The point is that I've never had an issue with a police trade and I will continue to buy them if the price is right.

Colt46 said:
The biggest factor might be in dings, dents, and surface erosion from every day use. It might make the gun look a little rough around the edges...
FWIW I've found that the worst-looking LE firearms generally come from state prison agencies, and from large counties or cities that operate their own jails.

Most street cops and highway patrolmen only remove their pistols from their holsters when they get home from work, if even then. However, prison guards move their sidearms back and forth between their holster and a desk drawer or storage locker every time they transit to and from the secure prisoner area, which may happen several dozen times per day. This results in a LOT more surface wear.

One of my duties at a PD of 130 + sworn officers included running the firearms program. I made sure we had four ten hour range days each month. Although an officer was only required to successfully complete the range program once each quarter the individual could attend and shoot at every scheduled day. Many did. I purchased an average of 100,000 rounds of duty ammo each year (we shot duty ammo for training) and many officers became quite a bit more proficient than those who "had to be reminded" each quarter. I maintained Dept. issue weapons at a level that very few pistols had problems, but if a serious issue came about a new firearm was issued and the problem returned to the factory. When pistols were traded in we offered the officer a choice of purchasing his weapon or turning it in, many chose the former.
Even though the officer was training and carrying the same issue ammo I had to routinely make sure they did not substitute something else, i had a hard time understanding the mentality of some officers with regard to their life protecting equipment.
Would I buy a police trade in? Probably not unless I had knowledge of the weapons history. Many of those offered today are from security or overseas departments and have had a rough life.

FWIW I've found that the worst-looking LE firearms generally come from state prison agencies, and from large counties or cities that operate their own jails.

Most street cops and highway patrolmen only remove their pistols from their holsters when they get home from work, if even then. However, prison guards move their sidearms back and forth between their holster and a desk drawer or storage locker every time they transit to and from the secure prisoner area, which may happen several dozen times per day. This results in a LOT more surface wear.

My.02 cents on DOC Firearms. I would not buy any DOC rifles, but the pistols are another story. Our pistols are stored in an arsenal maintained by an armor. They only go in a holster when needed usually they get put in the holster and taken out of the holster at the end of shift. They get shot once a year for quals other than that they sit on a shelf. They gave everyone the option when we went to the Gen 4 Glock that they could buy the Gen 3's, some guys go to pick the weapon they were going to buy, some guys ended up with pretty much a new gun for a good price. They show very little ware. I have a LE gun that was my step dad's duty weapon, a sig p226, it has holster wear but it runs smooth. I used it when I went through the police academy, never had a problem. I would buy another one in an instant.

Back