Use of gas checks on cast handgun bullets

Real Gun,

If you have Lee sizing dies that and a good table top is all you will need.

Some of the ones I have issues with, I simply use the top of my bench to seat them on the bottom of the shank and look them over real well before I run them through the sizing die to make sure they are straight.

Once they are square on the bottom of the bullets just run them through your sizer and your done, well other than another tumble lube if that is what your using.

Real Gun, I'm still not quite sure why you believe you need gas checks in the first place.

Before I started casting my own, I shot thousands of non-gas checked commercial cast bullets in all my handguns with no leading or accuracy problems. This includes 1300+ fps loads in .357 mag, .44 mag and .45 Colt (Ruger Redhawk). The one and only application where I use gas checks is in my rifle loads (.30-06 for many different rifles including M1 Garand, and .375 H&H).

I do know that some handguns perform better with gas checked bullets, but I've not found it to be the case with any of mine. If you simply want to use them then that's perfectly fine, but you'd asked for comments from those who think it may be a waste, and I think it probably is unless you find you have a specific need for them.

Mike

Other than Lyman, the reloading books I have (Lee, Hornady, Speer, Lyman Bullet Casting Handbook, Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th) make it appear that use of lead, at least of the purer or softer kind, ends at 1100fps or less. The knowledge that lead bullets can be used at much higher velocities and the reasons why is a subculture that I didn't find in these or any common books.

I was curious what these gas check thingies were that I noticed under bullets on Midway's site. My plan of using cast bullets in substantial loads for .44 Magnum and .45 Colt Redhawk led me to conclude that I should get some of them and learn how to use them.

I was ahead of myself, because I hadn't studied it yet. I believe I was correct though and now have the proper dies for 240g .44 and 255g .45. It has not been a big investment with two-bullet molds and two boxes of gas checks.

I know that I don't need gas checks for everything and have already loaded and tried some purchased bullets at pretty good velocity. I estimate the load I shot yesterday at 1250fps. That was 20.7g PowerPro 300-MP, which I thought had real authority compared to purchased 240g SJSP. I will bump it up a step, but wouldn't mind staying right at 20.7g. That powder required that I guessimate the load, extrapolating from A2400 loads.

These bullets were 240g LSWC by Hunters Supply, bought through Midway, I think. My barrel was in very nice shape after a couple passes with a bore snake and some cleaner gel.

I use gas checks on my 9MM and .38 Super bullets as a matter of course. The 9MM having a reputation for being cranky with cast lead, I just assumed that using gas checks would avoid problems with leading. Nowhere near a scientific approach, but they work without problems and shoot as clean as jacketed with good accuracy. Being old, I just do not have the interest in experimenting with bullets for the two calibers without checks to see if the checks are not needed. I will just keep using gas checked loads in those two guns. If someone wants to do testing on both or one of those 9MM's to see if checks are needed, go ahead...I would be interested in the results.

Casted up some Lyman 429244 bullets yesterday with a mold I just bought. Today I sized and added some donated gas checks. Never done this before, but I thought it turned out cool. Never shot gas checks before, but really looking forward to it. :D

Attachments

• 429244 with gas checks.jpg
    429244 with gas checks.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 60
I have a bunch lubed up with it as well, just haven't had a chance to send any down the pipe to see how well it works with them. My normal lube is 45/45/10, so it will be interesting to see what if any differences I might find with the same loads.

Be sure to post up your results as well.

Back