USA Today Full Page Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like we all like the idea but it is "Reality Check Time".
What POSITIVE results do you anticipate?

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

Ed, I keep asking myself that, and I'm not getting much closer to an answer. Indeed, what positive results do we expect from this?

Rob,

I hope you recieved my e-mail. I was having some trouble with my server this morning.

---

My statement about a declaration/ultimatum comes from the way it is worded, not from the intent, althought I no longer know what the intent is, and I certainly don't know why you seem to be taking this so personally.

We are about to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a statement that when challenged (directly or indirectly) by HCI, Congress, Mr. Clinton, the ATF (who enforces these laws), and other pro-control groups and lobbyists will turn out to be a paper tiger.

If you really write what you believe (as you posted before) then you must have the resolve to back it up, and I admire that.

I'm not trying to divide us, I thought I asked a perfectly legitimate question.

You are the one that seems jumpy about the ATF (Black helecopters) entering unannounced. Although I would not put it past them, I never mentioned a personal invasion of the signers of this whateveryouwanttocallit.

My communication may be flawed, but my intentions are good.

I just don't get it, Rob.

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

[This message has been edited by John/az2 (edited March 05, 1999).]

Jeff, Ed...

The positive results we expect and hope for are politicians and fence sitters to realize that most gunowners are their friend from down the street, the minister or rabbi, the family pediatrician and most importantly....regular citizen VOTERS.

Its too easy for the media to dismiss a pro-gun organization...but a few hundred voting citizens is a different matter.

If the context of the statement is well thought out, this could have significant influence on the way people think

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Positive results:

1) Fulfill our duty as citizens to inform the Congress and the people of public policies we consider dangerous to the common welfare.

2) Perhaps persuade some fencesitting Congressmen, Senators, state legislators, county commissioners, and municipal legislators-that additional gun control is not in the public interest.

3) Explode the myth perpetuated by HCI and their ilk that only the "gun lobby",composed of manufacturers and NRA "extremists", oppose "reasonable" gun control legislation.

4) Persuade common citizens of the above.

5) Inspire other firearm owners to get involved at the grassroots level.

6) Improve the morale of the entire firearms owning community.

7) Begin the development of a new type of political activism,i.e, a grassroots system with no formal membership, no offices, no officers, no overhead. One that-when a person comes up with a good idea-does what it necessary to implement it instead of spending a large percentage of monies raised on salaries, membership drives, and other overhead.

For those of us with Websites:

lets hash out a basic format..similar appearance, to put up.

------------------

I'd go easy on tech firearms terms and heavy on the sad and bigoted history of gun control (in the US and elsewhere). I think fence-siiters would benefit from reading "free people own guns, slaves do not" and a bit of precedents to support that, than we need DShK 14,5mm HMG in every home to defend against 82nd Airborne.

Then again, I am just guessing.

If all of you intend on making a show with some sort of grassroots anti-tyrrany ad, your going to have to TELL them that this is some grassroots type thing. For all they would know its some NRA publicity stunt. And I think it would be in our best intrests to have something set up so when/if we get media attention, they could find someone to interview about why this came about....

Oh, and do you think the feds are going to give a rat's left nut about the people who signed thier name to the ad? I'll never fear the black helicopters.

[This message has been edited by snubber (edited March 05, 1999).]

Heard about this idea on Firearms and Politics. Passed it on to Yahoo Message Board.

Count me in as well - for the cash, the name, and more webspace.

Only editing suggestion I have is the last sentence: "...leave us in peace, for we have done nothing wrong."

------------------
- - - -
If you think "militia" applies to the National Guard, then you must think "Freedom of Speech" applies to the Government Printing office.

Bob Mueller - Second Amendment Research Network
http://www.infinet.com/~bmueller/Index.html

My highest goal, for those of you who seem to need to understand my motivation, is that the average gun owner, whether he be a trap shooter, a hunter, a militia member or an LEO understands that we are all in this together and we have been divided and lazy long enough.

No one needs to worry about spending "Tens of Thousands of dollars," just worry about spending 50 bucks. If it is worth it to you to accomplish any of the things that Spartacus, myself or DC mentioned above, send the bucks...

The key to handling the media aftermath is centralization. This is not going to amount to anything of there are 1200 Equal Participants.

USA Today will know who to contact for Media Questions.

The Ad will refer people to a Web Site (possibly TFL Related, Rich and I will discuss that) and a fax number for comment.

Further media attention could lead to additional opportunities to encourage grass roots type participation. So be ready to act locally, if you are called upon to do so. Speaking with local media directly as an "Average local who signed on to the statement"

There is no point in publicizing or recrcuiting even ONE more contributor until we have this thing established. The more people here, the more people that will ask questions about intent and content. When the shooting public really starts to hear about htis it neds to be IN STONE.. no room for someone to show up and say .. "I think line four should say "...yada, yada, yada..."

Contrary to my sincerest wishes, someone put this out in the big Newsgroups too... Oh well... It just reinforces the fact that this thing needs to be gotten a firm hold of and directed... not "hashed out" or "discussed".

As I said, I will put up a website this weekend, feel free to link to it or copy it AFTER WE have the framework set up...

I heard back from USA Today this morning.. they are going to review the FINAL VERSION of the copy. I am also looking into the structure on the financial side.

When you have seen the project it is FINAL Form I'd love to hear which of you is in and which of you is out. If you're in you will know where to send your check and how to express your permission to USA Today to include your name.

If everyone could forget about it for about a week, that would be great....

------------------
-Essayons

Rob, I'll try to curtail my enthusiasm for this project and "forget about it for a week" until the framework is finalized. But damn, I'm excited and can't wait for this thing to happen!!

Rob is correct...

This is a great idea but as we can see its getting ahead of us...just like a firearm, it needs to be safety checked, cleaned adjusted before use.
Lets get it all organized and it requires alot. Then the GO will be issued and we all follow our principles....let's not lose enthusiasm, just be patient.

------------------

Hi:

I just found out about your proposal for the USA add. I think it is a great idea. Something that needs to be done. I would suggest however that you have several levels of contributions. Say a $10.00 and your name appears in very small print... $25.00 and it appears in medium print, $50.00 normal and $100 for a John Hancock!. I would like to see a lot more than 1,000 signatures. What we really need to shoot for is a few million to sign. The more the better. In reading your posts you were concerned with who was to collect and account for the funds received. Although I am working in private industry, I am a CPA and would be willing to donate my time to this effort. If you give me the go ahead I'll start the checking account out with my own contribution to the cause.

I now have this site book marked and will be checking back from time to time. If you want to get in touch with me, my e-mail is Bookkie@yolo.com.

Thanks,

Richard Allen Pierce, CPA, CCP, CMA

Please check out the final version I have posted in its own thread.

I am in touch with Richard on the account issue.
In that correspondance we have talked about a specific act that we might require all of our participants to join in. I am of the opinion that we should not link this to any act, legal or otherwise. I told Richard that I want to energize people, not tell them what to do with that energy.

Perhaps this will answer some of your questions succinctly:

I want to provide a Catalyst for Action, not an Instruction Manual.

[This message has been edited by Rob (edited March 05, 1999).]

I'm in, It really sounds like a challenge to me??? I have no problem with that, but maybe tell them,"We are drawing a line in the sand"

---snoman---

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back