US Army M1911 Training Video

In HS ROTC, the sergeant said that if you can't hit the enemy with the 1911, at least you can throw it at them.

I believe that was fairly ignorant thinking.

Even a stock 1911 is easy to put on paper at 25 yards if you have practiced even a little bit.

Years ago I was surrounded by WW II and Korean War Vets. They all had some military training on the 1911. But not a single one of them could ever remember anyone carrying the 1911 cocked and locked.
Read "A Rifleman Goes To War." I bought a new softback for perhaps $15, delivered recently.

The author has nothing but praise for the Colt pistol.

He fought in the trenches in The Great War.

I found a reprint of an Armt field manaul for the M1911A1 that addresses mode of carry; the verbiage is different from what I recalled (which may have been from a different manual), but the intent is the same.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Army_FM23-35_Cocked&Locked.JPG
    Army_FM23-35_Cocked&Locked.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 99
So the manual does advise cocked and locked
on the 1911.

But as GI Joes randomly got their hands on pistols
during WWII, it's questionable many ever had
much training with them or even were told
about the cocked and locked carry method.

Soldiers, much like many police I've met, have any
real grasp about their weapons beyond the
perfunctory training they sometimes got.

I believe today's soldiers and police get better
training. Or at least I hope they do.

Just my opinion. I'm not a Veteran.
There are times to have the Service Rifle with a loaded mag and empty chamber.
And there are times to have the chamber loaded.

If circumstances dictate the Rifleman having a round in the chamber of the rifle,it would seem appropriate to have a round in the chamber of anyone depending on the pistol.

Whether that is an SOP or the person in command ordering "Clear chambers and load up in the trucks" or "Lock and load" before heading for an action.

IMO,the small unit commander needs to make that call while close to the situation.
I would not leave it up to the individual Snuffy to decide,but if a Squad Leader is about to cross the line of departure,it might be time to order "Load"
I can see no reason why that would not apply to those carrying a handgun.

Same with "Clear"

Last edited:
Back