Unknown revolver

Damn!
If the gun ORIGINALLY had a serial number, and it has been removed, the gun is illegal-period. How hard is that to understand?
When the number was removed has no bearing on anything.
US law has required serial numbers on handguns since 1934, BTW.

To my knowledge, no company ever made a gun just like the early Police Positive/Detective Special guns.

It's doubtful the gun is an alloy frame. Alloy frames don't rust and pit, and alloy is difficult to plate.

I'm not an expert on fire arm law, nor do I play one on TV, however I did stay at a Howard Johnson Motor Lodge one night. There is a lot of misunderstanding of the NFA 1934 act, in fact there is a lot of misunderstanding of the 1968 GCA. For starters the big thing ithe 1968 GCA enacted was " " ALL" firearms would have serial numbers from that date forward ( or the time it was enacted ) not just handguns, all long arms was now included If you take the time and read the 1934 NFA ( and believe me it is a very dull read ) you will find that since 1934 handguns were required to have serial numbers, I know that is a shocker to a lot of people but has any one seen a handguns manufactured or legally imported since 1934 with out a serial number, Not I. Now, there is also a passage in reference to removal of serial numbers Any firearm that has a serial number( in the 34 NFA) , it does not matter whe it was manufactured, if that serial number is defaced or removed, it is illegal, and the processor of the firearm is deemed the one who did the dirty deed. It does not matter if the deed was done in 1901, 1945 or 31 December 1967, if it had a serial number and it has been defaced or removed, it is illegal. Sorry, the comment ' if remove before 1968 It would be legal " is in error, very much so. the 1968 GCA has nothing to do with removing or defacing serial numbers.

Read and understand the history of the laws on firearms.

http://www.pennlago.com/are-firearms-without-serial-numbers-illegal/

When a serial number can HAVE been obliterated depends on many things.

Hints:

1. Suppose there is a non-NFA firearm which was manufactured PRE October 22, 1968. The firearm has no serial number. However, the firearm never had a serial number. The lack of a serial number does not render the firearm illegal.

2. Suppose there is a firearm which was manufactured POST October 22, 1968. If the firearm has no serial number, and never had a serial number, the lack of a serial number renders the firearm illegal. [Except a non-NFA home manufacture that you have no intent to sell, which we will explain later.]

3. Suppose there is a firearm which was manufactured POST October 22, 1968. The firearm had a serial number, but it has been removed. Possession of this firearm is illegal.

4. Suppose there is a firearm which was manufactured PRE October 22, 1968. The firearm did have a serial number, as the manufacturer had utilized serial numbers on its firearms voluntarily. However, the serial number was removed for aesthetic or other reasons AFTER October 22, 1968. Possession of the firearm is illegal.

5. Suppose there is a non-NFA firearm which was manufactured PRE October 22, 1968. The firearm did have a serial number, as the manufacturer had utilized serial numbers on its firearms voluntarily. This serial number was removed BEFORE October 22, 1968. Under the GCA, possession of the firearm is illegal. However, this is the most difficult scenario we will discuss, and here’s why:

Read the whole thing. It is interesting and complex.

You 'might' be changed (and have to defend in court) if you have a firearm with a obliterated serial number that was legal before the GCA of 68.

Depends on who is running the ATF and what their slavemasters tell them to do.

Do you want to be a test case?

Deaf

SO, its either an older Colt with all the markings removed, or its a copy of a Colt from who knows where, with the markings removed, if it ever had any, and its wearing Colt marked grips.

As to the serial # thing, before 1968, Federal law did not require firearms to have a serial number. Every major maker in the US, and most around the world had been putting serial numbers on the "main product line" guns since before cartridge firearms existed.

Up until the passage of the GCA 68, lower grade guns, bargain guns, most often shotguns and .22 rifles only had serial numbers if the maker felt like putting them on it. I have had a couple of guns made without serial numbers, one a bolt action .410. Perfectly legal, as the gun was owned before 68.

The main points of the law, as simply as I can state them are,

If the gun was made before 68 it is not required to have a serial number. IF made after, it is.

IF the gun ever had a serial number, no matter when made, that number cannot be removed or defaced. If the number has been removed or defaced, no matter when and no matter by whom, the gun is not legal to possess. (by anyone). There is no "forgiveness" in the law on this matter.

If the "unknown revolver" is a Colt, it would have had a serial number. On the frame, under the yoke/crane, and possibly on the butt, or the rear face of the cylinder, depending on model and date of manufacture.

As there is no pic of the gun with the cylinder open or the grips off, we cannot know for certain if there is a serial number, or not.

I am guessing this is a refinished Colt with the markings ground off since it has made it all the way past $312.
Interesting commentary on serial numbers and such. :rolleyes:

BTW, it looks like an old Police Positive that has been cut down. Look at the crane hinge and the cylinder latch.

QUOTE: "...BTW, it looks like an old Police Positive that has been cut down. Look at the crane hinge and the cylinder latch."

How do they differ from Cobras and Agents? It looks (from the photo the op supplied) like there might be some checkering on the cylinder latch that I don't recall Cobras/Agents ever having.

Back