Unknown revolver

fb2712d16f91aa1174cfc45988b6687f.jpg

Here's mine

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Does it have an aluminum frame?
No idea.
Did you mirror that image and/or are there two screws right above the trigger on the other side of the frame?
Next to yours it must be heavily rebuilt if it started out the same. The shape and broader details do seem to match.

I noticed the angle of the Colt on the grip medallions does not look correct to me.

Well, it looks like a Colt. Beyond that not much info. No model stamping, no caliber indicated, if all polished off I wonder if the serial is still present? May be an illegal gun at this point. Hard chromed would make me walk away fast. Original 2" barrel or chopped? We don't know.

Somebody bid $312 on it. I would not.

Agree with SaxonPig.
It is surely a Colt, either an early Detective Special or sawn off Police Positive Special.
Lack of markings other than grip medallion is not good, lack of a serial number would make it illegal.

Not if it is made before 1968.

Not exactly. If a gun was made pre '68, no serial number required. But if it HAD a serial number, it's illegal to alter/remove said number. Doesn't matter when the gun was made, once a number always a number.

Just saw a Colt Detective Special some nitwit refinished AND restamped it ".32 mag".

Yes it was a .32 New Police snub. I only hope the guy didn't rechamber it to the .32 H&R round.

So it might actually be a Colt... more or less.

Deaf

Looking at the finer details as best as one can I'm pretty confident it's a real Colt. Most likely a Detective Special, or possibly the alloy framed version the Cobra. The Agent is a Cobra with a shorter grip frame. Frame looks to be too long to be an Agent.

With the rounded front sight it's an older one too. I think the serial number is stamped on the butt so that wouldn't be visible in the pics.

Obviously rode hard and put up wet. No doubt lost it's finish and somebody polished the pits out and plated it to try and cover up their sin.

Last edited:
But if it HAD a serial number, it's illegal to alter/remove said number. Doesn't matter when the gun was made, once a number always a number.
As I understand it, if the serial was ground before 1968 it is still legal.

I'm not sure if the act of grinding the serial number off is illegal or if possession is illegal.

I can't look away from those grips.

How could you possibly know when the number was ground off?
It's against federal law to be in possession of a gun that has had the serial number removed.

The right side screw pattern was changed at some time.
Colt serial numbers are under the crane which confuses a lot of people because Smith serial numbers are on the butt and the number under the yoke is an assembly number of no significance after the gun is finished and sold.

Yes, Deaf Smith, there was at least one gunsmith doing a good business rechambering Detective Special .32 NP to .32 H&R. You could even buy a .32 barrel and cylinder from Numrich for the purpose of converting a .38 to .32, back when the .32 H&R was new and exciting.

And yes, the mere possession of a firearm with the serial number removed, defaced, or altered is illegal. No matter when the gun was made or the change done.

QUOTE: "...The Agent is a Cobra with a shorter grip frame. Frame looks to be too long to be an Agent..."

Can't tell how long the frame is with the grips installed. In the interest of simplifying manufacturing, in 1966, the old style long grip frame of the Cobra was changed to the same short grip frame as the Agent. Following this transition, the wood grips overlapped on the bottom of the frame of the Cobra to offer a full size grip. So, in the case at hand, it is possible that a short framed Agent was later fitted with the longer Cobra grips.

Everybody and his brother has made a revolver just like that. Without a detailed inspection it's impossible to be sure of anything about it.
Can't really see any legitimate auction house allowing the sale of an illegal firearm myself.
Your GCA of 1968 made it a felony to remove or import a firearm without a S/N. Said S/N wasn't required prior to 1968 though. Lot of people have stuff that was made before then.

The problem is, there are at least three Colt D frame grips, not two.
The OP's link shows the earliest, the narrow square butt.

As I understand it, if the serial was ground before 1968 it is still legal.

Technically true. But how does one PROVE it was ground off before 68?

Now if the gun was made AFTER 68, then it is obviously illegal to do that, but if it was made before 68... when was the obliteration done? See once 1968 passed you could not grind them off, even if the gun was made before 68.

I once had a HSc .32 Nazi bring back that had the serial numbers ground off. My friends in the crime lab said it was legal but... using special acid they raised the serial numbers and restamped them for me. Nice guys!

So yes, it was 'legal'. But it can get sticky as to when they were ground off.

Deaf

Back