Unknown primers

Pull the bullet, dump the powder. Reuse the case and primer, reload with your own powder load, and reseat the bullet..... that's what I would do.

That's been the plan all along. I got side tracked on the project and reloading in general when the places I like to shoot were closed for fire danger.

We're having a drought here but I call it a run of nice weather. Anyway the forest service is all freaked out and after the fires we had last year, I do understand. There are stories floating around about a certain group of agitators were starting fires last year. Anyway we need a couple good days of rain to reopen the forest service land.

Tony

You can re-use the primer's and good chance never duplicate the load again for no other reason than you don't know what the primer's are. So you shoot off 114 rounds of ammo and no clue what you just shot if it works good! You sure it's not military stuff? Are the primers crimped in? If not and I though I wanted to maybe re-use the load I'd scrap the primer's. Otherwise your using not only the primer's but also bullet's and powder for a load you might not re-produce. if re-producing don't matter, go for it!

The cases are mostly Lake City military but it's obvious the crimp was removed with a countersink tool.

I plan to shoot off these rounds at a fun shoot with my daughter and grand kids (11~18 years old.) I don't have too many years before the grandkids scatter across the country like dandelions in the wind. I don't think any of use will care if I can't reproduce the load. So long as they all go bang and are safe, we'll be happy.

We're supposed to get some rain soon and hopefully the forest service land will open up again.

Tony

Back