Universal magazines

Here's where it pays to be an old phart...

S&W 59/5900 series mags were also useable in at least a dozen different firearms.
As mentioned above, the Daewoo 51...
Marlin Camp 9 Carbine
Star 243
and I should be able to remember the rest, but it's Brain Fart Friday nite ;)
But they're listed somewhere...

And S&W 4500 series mags fit the Star M45 as well,
CS45's were a perfect fit, just have to add a mag catch hole.
The larger ones just added capacity.

Glock mags are also used by a few others...like Keltec's carbines...
lots of options...just gotta do a little reasearch!

According to Ed Harris (former QC manager at Ruger) many modern 9mm's use a magazine design copied from the Browning Highpower but have the catch hole in other places. He postulated that someone could make an extended mag of say around 18 rounds with a few different catch holes and it would work in many guns.

He said that a long time ago so I don't know how many guns still use a Highpower cloned mag...

Tony

Any double stack magazine that "tapers" down to a single round feed could be said to have been "copied" from the Browning Hi Power.

Though the people that do that usually say "inspired by" rather than "copied from..." ;)

Im sure mags aint cheap to make, good ones...

On the other hand Im also sure that mags are a rather high profit item for
the maker/marketers.

I recall a semi auto I had about 25 yrs ago. I wanted a couple more mags and ordered em. Somewhere on the net I found out that there were about 1700 back orders for those mags.

I wrote to the co CEO and mentioned a few facts and I had my 2 mags in about 3 weeks???

As I remember it was $34 for a 'plastic', mostly, mag that any of the good plastic mag cos could have made and probably did make them for the gun
co. So $34 x probably 3000(or so) mags...there has to be some profit in that kind of demand.

Like others have said, different designs and frames require different mags. With that said, there are some firearms that take the same exact mags. I own lots of Glock, and pro mag stunt doubles, that will also work in things like Kriss Vector, BRO AR pistol, and Keltec sub2k. So, if you were building collection around mags, which is little silly, maybe, but you could start with those four different firearms that could all use same mags, depending on caliber (I’m sure there are more firearms I didn’t list too). I have all of those and it is handy utilize same mags for them.

I might as well toss in a few other oddballs...
All the Top Hat bolt-action Marlins use the same mags,
if it's a .22lr, the new 2020 Marlin XT22 works in the 1970's+ model 25N.
But not vise versa, as there is a magwell stop that has to be removed
for pre-1995 mags to work in newer rifles.
The Model 25MN to XT22M (.22WMR) all exchange mags with no headaches,
plus the Camp 922M if you add a mag catch hole.
Same for the Model 70 to Model 795 semi auto's...they exchange mags the same way, and with the bolt-actions.

The Kahr P45 and PM45 take most 1911 magazines. I use the MecGar 1911 with a flush bottom on the P45 and the 7 round MecGar Officers model as well as the 8 rounders.
But many don't lock open on the last round, and you have to modify the bottom of the kahr grip just a hair for them to fit flush.

Back