Unfilled handgun market niche

I have one of the last 32 H&R S&W's made, bought new but discontinued by the time I bought mine... ( sorry, I can never remember S&W's model numbers ) but it's a 6 shot Air Weight J frame in 32 H&R magnum... the air weight uses the "aluminum" frame, & a steel cylinder... it's very light to carry, & pretty easy shooting, with the limited personal defense ammo available ( I think I'm currently using Federal's hydro shocks... maybe... they are labeled as personal defense )

Ruger does have the LCR in 22 Magnum, which would have a horrible muzzle blast, but minimum "actual" recoil... & likely better reliability in firing, & much better bullet selection than the 22 LR offerings...

32 H&R is about the limit of what my wife and daughter can shoot. Charter seems to be making the only ones I ever see brand-new. I agree that it seems like there should be a good market for this caliber that is easy to shoot, effective, and gives so many options.

That is a strange statement, considering that the Terrier .38 S&W was sometimes known as the .38-32. The .32 I frame was lengthened to accommodate .38 Special to produce the Chief's Special.

You're making my point for me. The Terrier hasn't been sold for about 50 years.

Modern 32's are sold on J-frame's or their equivalents with cylinders long enough for .357 Magnum ammo. These revolvers could be much smaller with a dedicated frame/cylinder.

True.
It would be hard to beat a .32 Safety Hammerless "lemonsqueezer" with high strength steel in cylinder and top latch to handle .32 ACP.

How many times have we seen a manufacturer fill a "niche" and everybody says "Ooh!" and "Aah!"-and doesn't buy them ?

Every once in a while.
Even more common is for a model to be discovered and popularized after it is discontinued for lack of sales.

Jim Watson said:
It would be hard to beat a .32 Safety Hammerless "lemonsqueezer" with high strength steel in cylinder and top latch to handle .32 ACP.
I think a more viable contender would be a modern equivalent to the H&R Young America .32, but with a swing-out cylinder rather than the goofy open loading gate. The solid frame would likely make it more inexpensive to manufacture than a top-break.

I have an SW 432, it's a very nice 6 shot light pocket J in 32 HR mag.

Got it for a great price when they were discontinued. Should have bought another.

But that niche is not wide. With the small 9mm semis - I can't see anything else new coming along.

I think the 40s will become secondary to the 9s and 45s. The 38s will hold a solid pocket revolver market.

Real simple......a .32 H&R is more powerful then a .380.

It's better than standard .38 special too. I've always liked this round. Sadly, it and its .327 cousin never got the market share they deserve. I blame the latter on poor execution. I really like the idea of an extra round and lighter recoil. The only reason I pocket-carry a .38 is that I can't find a 432PD and the Charter Arms offerings only pack five.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za0wzkQhT6M

I really like my 32 revolvers and especially my 431PD 32 mag S&W. Mine has the exposed hammer. Loaded it only weighs 15 oz. Its not bad to shoot as far as recoil goes either. Much more pleasant than the snubby 38s I have owned.

Back