Unfilled handgun market niche

YoSamTFL

Maybe this exists but I don't know of it. Rather than a longer explanation, I'll sum it up as "Ruger LCR or the like in a .30 to .32 caliber". Meaning polymer or alloy, reasonably priced, well made, revolver. The thinking being, a revolver with more stopping power than a rimfire, but not up to the .38 level.

I know there are plenty of calibers already, so maybe .32 H&R Magnum is good enough. My thought came about after discussing with an older woman about choices of CCW's. She was looking at an LCR and loved the absolute simplicity and reliability versus her autoloader. But not the recoil. Simply: There are centerfire semi autos in her range of recoil tolerance. In snub nosed lightweight revolvers, there don't seem to be. Outside of .22's, which are weaker, less reliable ignition, and have very stout DA trigger pull.

It also made me wonder about loading the .38 even weaker than the 148 WC target loads. I've shot them in the LCR and they would still be hot for a weaker shooter. Maybe something 110-125 grn at the same fps as the 148 target loads? Does that exist commercially?

edit: Just did some searching. I see the reduced recoil .38 loads do exist. Well, I learned something. I can't delete the thread, so carry on. :)

The 327 Federal Magnum looked promising but hasn't caught on. You can shoot three different cartridges out of it for recoil sensitive types.

Already been done with .32 S&W and .32 H&R, .38 S&W and 7.62 Nagant fills the bill too. My great nephew was shooting .32 S&W when he was five and soon graduated to .32 H&R. so who could not handle that recoil.

Maybe this exists but I don't know of it. Rather than a longer explanation, I'll sum it up as "Ruger LCR or the like in a .30 to .32 caliber". Meaning polymer or alloy, reasonably priced, well made, revolver. The thinking being, a revolver with more stopping power than a rimfire, but not up to the .38 level.

Taurus made a bunch of .32 Magnum snubbies. Charter still does.

You can shoot three different cartridges out of it for recoil sensitive types.

Four, actually... The .32 S&W Short, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R Mag, and its original chambering, the .327 Federal Mag.
If one includes the semi-rimmed .32 A.C.P., which actually shoots in and extracts from .32 H&R Mags with ease, one could say you could shoot FIVE different cartridges out of it.

Just saying.

I think your creating a niche that isn't there. The 327 federal cartridge didn't go anywhere. All the 32cals are all but dead to mainstream shooters.

The only reason the .40 S&W was developed was for LE. Otherwise the .40 would be nothing more than an expensive, limited offering caliber.

The 327mag in a semi auto? Might be cool. But why bother with everything out there noow?

All of the .32 cal revolvers were with six shot cylinders on what is really a .38 spl platform.

They should make them just big enough for 5 shots which would require a smaller frame and cylinder. That's where they could make a better handgun. If they are the same size as a .38 then might as well carry a .38.

They could do this with a shorter cartridge too. Taurus made a .380 Auto revolver but the cylinder is still long enough for .357 ammo. It should be much shorter and smaller.

As I already posted...Super Sneaky Steve been done by S&W, H&R and IJ just to name three makers and clear back when cartridges were still using black powder. If someone needs a dimunitive revolver they still can be had. Even .38 S&W can be found in five shot revolvers and factory loads are quite light.

Last edited:
been done by S&W, H&R and IJ just to name three makers and clear back when cartridges were still using black powder. If someone needs a dimunitive revolver they still can be had. Even .38 S&W can be found in five shot revolvers and factory loads are quite light.

The last I frame was made in 1973, well before modern concealed carry laws that created such a huge demand for comfortable carry weapons.

With modern materials and a smaller frame there is still a market for such a weapon.

I don't know how big a market niche there is, modern attempts at .32 revolvers have not sold well.
But the OP has one specific user in mind. He could probably find her a nice .32 on the secondary market. I would get a S&W in .32 H&R so she could explore the spectrum for manageable recoil with .32 S&W, S&W Long, H&R. Sounds like a .327 would be too hot, no point in paying the price.

All of the .32 cal revolvers were with six shot cylinders on what is really a .38 spl platform.

That is a strange statement, considering that the Terrier .38 S&W was sometimes known as the .38-32. The .32 I frame was lengthened to accommodate .38 Special to produce the Chief's Special.

3 of the 4 models of .32 Undercoverette that Charter lists on their site have aluminum frames.

Thank you! Wouldn't you know, when I looked on their website, I selected the 1 of 4 that was S/S. Wonder if the hammer can be bobbed.

To the OP there is no void. The lady just needs to go to a range that has .32 H&R or .38 S&Ws that they rent so she can try them.

I keep a .32 H&R at the cabin for the simple reason that anyone can shoot it if need be as long as they are six and it will work against people or cougars.

in my insignificant opinion, the world of firearms needs a compact .22TCM with a small double stack grip and a 3.5-4" barrel. I no this isn't exactly what your talking about, or even close, but it would make a decent small revolver round too as long as it had a little barrel in front of it

Some gun manufacturer out there really need to look into producing an I-frame sized revolver chambered in 32ACP and made from some light alloy with an internal hammer.

There are .380 revolvers available. Why the hang-up on .32 caliber?

Because you can get 6 instead of 5 in the same cylinder. Real shame that the .327 Fed Mag never too off. Would love to have an N-frame that holds 9 or 10 rounds.

Back