Underwood ammo

Great video! He explains the function of the ballistics gel as it relates to leveling the playing field. He doesn't thoroughly explain hydraulic cavitation but definitely shows the results of it.

I currently carry the Inceptor ARX ammo in 77 grain .38 Special in my .357 LCR. Recoil is insignificant... I'm actually thinking of stepping up to their .357 ammo in 86 grain with a wicked velocity out of a 1-7/8" barrel length. The only potential downside of the Inceptor ammo is that it's a frangible round. That could be a good or bad thing. I've penetrated a 2 x 4 but never found the round or any remnants of it.

I believe these style of rounds used in short barreled guns offer superior ballistics over a lead JHP.

Just my two cents.

Having seen gel tests, including some slow motion before the recent YouTube shenanigans, the Penetrators look good. Gel isn't the same as a living animal. Still, everything I know about physics and everything I can infer from shooting various media and random critters with different things tells me that these should perform well.

In terms of quality control concerns, Underwood is fairly reputable. I don't recall seeing any specific complaints. With Federal offered as one of the two comparisons, I've personally experienced a quality control issue with Federal American Eagle. Their customer service was spot on and they made it right. It can happen with any brand and I don't think these would be any worse.

As far as .357 Sig, I think this is a natural fit. The .357 Sig has a reputation for good penetration and that was one of its selling points. It does well against human threats with hollow-points and it should do well in the woods with the Xtreme Penetrators.

Back