Ultra-close encounters: are revolvers better?

IMO if you are a new shooter I would pick a semi-auto over a revolver. Most of the DA triggers on revolvers are fairly heavy in comparison to a lot of semi autos. This means you're going to have a harder time hitting what you're aiming at.

And I would recommend the revolver, for some of the same reasons. ;)

Since it's your 1st gun, and you have little experience, I lll give you my free advice, worth every penny.
1st, take a class. Read what Venom said.
2nd, never sell your 1st gun.
3rd, A 442 will save you as well as a Mark 23 in the situation you describe.
4, practice, learn, and get a good holster.
Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Why should you never sell your first gun? Just wondering?

Instead of not answering your question and telling you to get training, I'll give you my opinion.

It is entirely possible for a semi auto to go out of battery because it was pushed in to your target too hard. In a situation where an attacker is close or maybe on top of you a revolver could be an advantage over a semi auto.

If this is of importance to you, or if revolvers just interest you, a revolver will serve you well.

Say an assailant is either pushing you up against a wall, the hood of your car, or something like that. You're super close, belly to belly even, and he has a knife, his fist, or something of that nature right next to your face. You draw your gun with a shaky hand, and pull the trigger.

Reread post #16.

When this close his knife is about as effective as your gun. In letting someone get this close you made a bad mistake. But sometimes it can't be helped. But a lot of times it can.

I would prefer the revolver but either one will work. If he is in your face I doubt he will be able to push your gun out of battery or grab your cylinder. If he is that well trained well, been nice knowing you.

You might be better off trying to control his hands and getting your knee in his nutz. It worked for me once.

Back