Ultimate carry gun?

stephen426

I think I have found my ultimate carry gun. I started out with a Glock 26 but switched to the Kahr PM9 since it was much thinner and easier to conceal. The PM9 internals rusted on me so I switched to a Glock 43. When the Springfield Armory Hellcat came out, I jumped on that since I got an extra 5 rounds in almost the same sized gun. I stupidly bought the version without an optics cut since I didn't want to "rely on something battery operated that could fail on me". I tried to buy a cut slide a couple years later and was told that Springfield Armory did not sell them. I found a deal on a Hellcat with a Hex Wasp optic. While I have not had issues with the Hex Wasp, I is not a great optic and I certainly would not recommend it. It is always on and has a slower pulse rate that is perceptible. One of the guys in the pactical shooting club pushed me to get the Hellcat Pro since the extra grip length makes it easier to control. I got the gear up deal with 5 mags and a carrying case for around $550. I put a Holosun EPS Carry and a Streamlight TLR-7A. I carried that for about a year and have been really happy with it until the Springfield Armory Hellcat Pro Comp came out. I moved the Holosun EPS Carry and the Streamlight TLR-7A to the new gun. I also installed the MCARBO trigger, spring, and titanium striker kit. It has a much nicer trigger and is super easy to control. hopefully nothing new comes out. I need to stop buying guns! LOL

Last edited:
Have not shot a hellcat pro but I've held one. Really nice feeling gun in the hand, super comfortable. Would love to shoot one along side a 365 X Macro to see which I like better.

Every time i think I've found the perfect one something newer and better comes along.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

@Jim, I am using a Black Scorpion Gear IWB holster at 3 o’clock. When I first joined the practical shooting club, I had the Kahr PM9. While this isn’t a competition type club, it is really hard keeping up with drills when everyone else is using Glock 19s or similar sized guns. The Glock 43 was the same capacity, but I had plus 2 base plates to give me half the capacity of Glock 19s. The Hellcat helped with my ammo capacity anxiety, especially since I carried two 13 round mags as backup. I am decent with the Hellcat, but it is much harder to control under rapid fire drills so a club member convinced me to move up to a Hellcat Pro. The Hellcat Pro Comp was the next iteration due to improved recoil control. The Hellcat Pro is about as big a pistol as I can carry concealed. As my eyes are aging, red dot sights are definitely the way to go. Red dot sights also make up for shorter sight radius pistols. A weapons mounted light isn’t a requirement, but it helps break up the outline and adds weight to the front.

Ultimately, my mentality is to shoot what you carry and carry what you shoot. This gun has improved my ability to shoot well so I feel it is better for my concealed carry.

Last edited:
Jim Watson,
Festooned, awesome word!
Got me looking for an opportunity to use it properly ;-)
I haven’t heard that since the late John McCain was running for President.
And I totally agree with your post too.
My little bitty 642 is my “Ultimate Carry Gun”.

Obviously to each his or her own. I guess I subscribe to carry the biggest and best shooting gun you can comfortably carry.

M&P Compact 2.0. Same size as a G19, but far better ergonomics, better grip, better sights and frankly, for me, it shoots better.

Small guns are tough to fight with; I'm happy with something moderately sized.

ETA: No optics, no suppressor height sights.

I like your evolution, even though that makes us poor, it gets us to where we want.

I have gone from 640 357mag to 1911 5” to 1911 officer to 1911 CCO to S&W Shield to Shield Plus with optics…..now I split time between 3 guns.

S&W 340 with moon clips
S&W Shield Plus with optic
Kahr CW380

The 340 gets most of the time. 38 +p.

Thank you for the sequence story of your carry pistol saga.
I live in CA and am able to purchase a Hellcat Pro (albeit with an LCI and mag disconnect). It's currently in the 'background check' process and have been hoping that I made a good choice to get the Hellcat Pro.
(I already have 2 Gen3 G26's, so was looking for something a bit thinner - although in CA we are limited to 10rds in a magazine.)

The ultimate carry gun might be a seal team. Guns are to some men what jewlery is to women.

If you ever found the 'ultimate', what fun would there be in shopping around and trying new things?

Searching for the "ultimate " is like looking for the Grail. Concealed carry is all about compromise if not we would be carrying AR's.

In 40 plus years I changed more times than I can remember. From revolvers to "Wonder 9"s" and many others since.

Currently I 've settled on a Shield Plus no optics . Carries well and shoots great for me.

My newest affair is with the M & P Bodyguard 2.0 . So easy to drop into a pocket. For such a small gun it is accurate and little recoil. 10 + 1 with flush mag. 12 + spare mag. I am liking this for summer carry, shorts, etc.

This is subject to change at any point :D

I’ve gone through more than a couple searching for the perfect carry gun. I’ve kept two, my LC9s and my Hellcat. Neither are perfect, but I keep shooting them until they are perfect. The Ruger is for days when concealment is more difficult wardrobe wise, otherwise the Hellcat is every day. Although on the occasional days I still go to work I carry my 4” Ruger Security Six in my lunch kit.

Ultimate carry gun is going to depend on your hand size, your body size (and shape) and your usual environment.

For me the ideal ccw gun is a Glock 26 with a 12 round magazine. For my wife it's a Ruger LCR327 loaded with H&Rs.

>>M&P Compact 2.0. Same size as a G19, but far better ergonomics, better grip, better sights and frankly, for me, it shoots better.<<

That would be my choice as well.

Handled several of the new carry type guns and they all seem great. However, I'm still sticking with the G26 with 13 rounds. Carrys like a micro nine and shoots like a larger gun.

I think I have found my ultimate carry gun. I started out with a Glock 26 but switched to the Kahr PM9 since it was much thinner and easier to conceal. The PM9 internals rusted on me so I switched to a Glock 43. When the Springfield Armory Hellcat came out, I jumped on that since I got an extra 5 rounds in almost the same sized gun. I stupidly bought the version without an optics cut since I didn't want to "rely on something battery operated that could fail on me". I tried to buy a cut slide a couple years later and was told that Springfield Armory did not sell them. I found a deal on a Hellcat with a Hex Wasp optic. While I have not had issues with the Hex Wasp, I is not a great optic and I certainly would not recommend it. It is always on and has a slower pulse rate that is perceptible. One of the guys in the pactical shooting club pushed me to get the Hellcat Pro since the extra grip length makes it easier to control. I got the gear up deal with 5 mags and a carrying case for around $550. I put a Holosun EPS Carry and a Streamlight TLR-7A. I carried that for about a year and have been really happy with it until the Springfield Armory Hellcat Pro Comp came out. I moved the Holosun EPS Carry and the Streamlight TLR-7A to the new gun. I also installed the MCARBO trigger, spring, and titanium striker kit. It has a much nicer trigger and is super easy to control. hopefully nothing new comes out. I need to stop buying guns! LOL
My criteria for the "ultimate carry gun":
1. .380 or preferably 9mm.
2. Smallest, slimmest gun available.
3. Must be reasonably reliable.
4. Could care less about accuracy - won't be shooting any "threats" more than 15' away.
5. Pocket carry preferred.
6. Pretty guns need not apply - its a carry gun, not a BBQ gun.
7. Easily serviceable.
8. Warranty? What's a warranty going to do when you really need to use it?

So, what I've been carrying is a Diamondback DB9. I could opt to carry my STI LS40 or Boberg XR9-s. The Boberg is too "cool" and pretty. I do carry the STI on occasion - yes it can be pocket-carried. The DB9 works, if you keep it clean and lighly lubed. BUT, I have to use varying ammo in loading it: hot hollowpoint in the chamber, next 2 rounds are jacketed ball ammo, remaining rounds are hollow points. It does not reliably feed hollow points on the first round from the mag - so, I have to switch things up a bit. I have tried this combo and it works beautifully. This is for defense, not range shooting or accuracy contests - differing rounds don't make a hill-o-beans difference at 15 feet!

Back