Uberti V.S Pietta Black Powder Revolvers

The Second Question

Now that i figured out i'm looking for a steel frame Pietta .36 caliber Army Police model with a 5 and a half inch barrel, the next question involves styles of holsters. On the Sheriff's Office, I wore a western style "swivel" holster long after most other deputies had gone to the clam shell-breakfront type holsters. So i'm more inclined to lean towards a traditional cowboy belt-holster as far as speed and comfort are concerned. The higher ride "Ranger" style holster that slips on a belt and is worn at the waist costs less by comparison, but shares the disadvantage with the Police breakfront clamshell. It rides so high on your waist the gunbutt is always in the way of your elbow and you have the tendancy to raise your shoulder in an awkward position whenever the gun is drawn. Again. I can only go on experience. The one time i saw a fellow officer shoot himself in the foot at the range, he was wearing a quick release holster high up on his waist. I am curious to hear though from anyone who's tried cross-draw holsters in combat shooting compared to the cowboy belt holster. Which do you prefer ?

I own more than 20 different revolvers, various manufacturers. The newer Pietta's are a little bit more refined in the fit and finish dept than the older ones seemed to be, but both shoot well for me. I like my Uberti Leech & Rigdon, it is one of my favored pistols now, but I did have to do a little work because of the old "short arbor" situation. It's an older one, so I don't know how the newer ones are with that. Another posted stated the Pietta brass guns are junk, some are. However, I have a sheriff model "51 Navy" or whatever, .44 cal, and that is one of my most reliable, most accurate pistols. So I find that is not the rule, but may be the exception. At any rate, find one that fits your needs, and I wouldn't be to concerned about who's name is on the side of the gun, or wherever. Just my humble opinion.

Over the years, I have owned both mfg. as well as Euroarms, ASM, etc. I really don't know why folks nit pic over which "is better" - Pietta or Uberti. Regardless of who makes it, a person can find fault with something on a firearm. The purpose of the Pietta or the Uberti is to "shoot" - and in my experience, they both do an excellent job of that.

As far as the comment of the brass frames being "junk" . . . they will become junk if you use too powerful of a load in them. Like any thing else - use common sense. I have had sever brasiers and they both shot well - I just didn't load them up to kill bear.

You will run across a bad Pietta or a bad Uberta once in a while - just as you will a Ruger or a S & W . . . out of the thousands made, there are bound to be a problem once in a while - Chevy, Ford, etc. have the same problem - it's called mass production. As Hawg points out - Pietta puts their stampings "out there" - Uberti is a little more discreet - but that has nothing to do with the function of the revolver.

I once read a post where a fellow referred to his 1851 Pietta Navy (steel frame) as "junk and worthless" - cap fragments kept falling down and jamming things up. It wasn't the revolver - it was him. If he'd learn to shoot it like a Colt and do the "Colt twist" when cocking, his problem would have gone away.

Pick the revolver you want . . . shoot it and enjoy it and don't look back. Remember . . . everyone has an opinion and just because you read it on the "net" . . doesn't make it true. Bonjour! :)

As far as the comment of the brass frames being "junk" . . . they will become junk if you use too powerful of a load in them. Like any thing else - use common sense. I have had sever brasiers and they both shot well - I just didn't load them up to kill bear
Common sense tells me a fightin sixgun's frame ought not to be made of brass.

I don't doubt that they shoot well, but you don't need to load them "to kill bear" in order to stretch the frame.

51854fd248a662d7a524ea0cfbc89db1.jpg

Back