Uberti Revolvers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasT

I have considered buying a big bore single action revolver with the looks of the 1873 Colt Peacemaker. I was interested in the Uberti guns but it seems like I saw a video of the new guns and they had some sort of firing pin that tucks away to make the gun safe. I did a search and found nothing and watched a few youtube videos but didn't find what I was looking for. Am I thinking of the right gun?

That's the one. They also still make a Colt copy if five is enough.
If I wanted to load six in a single action, I would buy a Ruger.

The Rugger Vaquero is a sort of SAA clone. Innards are much improved SS. More money though.
The whole thing depends on your budget. Cabela's regular price is $719 for the Ruger. $499.99 for a Uberti Cattleman II.
"...some sort of firing pin that..." It's a half cock activated hammer block safety. The main safety on any firearm is the one between your ears.

The main safety on any firearm is the one between your ears

Thats exactly why I asked the question. For Uberti to put a safety on the hammer like they did to me is a tacit way of saying I am too stupid to handle a gun in a safe manner. I feel the same way about the cross bolt safety on a Marlin, the internal lock on S&W revolvers, the lock Remington used to put on their bolt action rifles and other such devices. I am not alone.

Cabela's regular price is $719 for the Ruger. $499.99 for a Uberti Cattleman II.

Cabelas is never on my radar for a gun purchase. I think the only places that might be higher are Dicks and Gander Mountain.

Is that an inertia firing pin safety you are talking about? That's a drop safety, no a regular "between the ears" safety. Anyone can and will at some point drop a gun for unexpected reasons.

But talking about SA hammers and whether to carry six or five, my EMF .44 special has a 1/4 cock position that keeps the hammer mounted firing pin from contacting the chambered round. Is this safe to carry six?

And my Hawes "western Marshall" SA has the 1/4 cock position as well that allows the inertia firing pin to spring off the chambered round. Carry six or five?

Highvalley watch the video I posted. The firing pin is extended by pulling the trigger. It’s a neat concept if you like others to keep you safe from yourself. It’s not the same as an inertial firing pin.

And no, carrying your guns with 6 in the chamber and the gun on the safety notch is not considered safe.

I had several Ubertis and other Italian clones and they were good. Last year I got a bug and sold them all. Bought real Colts to replace them. Pricey but I do appreciate the difference in quality.

standard.jpg

Saxon I would love to have a real Colt. I was supposed to inherit two Colt first generation guns both in 32-20 when my uncle died but my goofy aunt sold them. I even offered to pay for them but she jacked me up on the guns. For that and a few other nutty things she has done I don't see her anymore.

I just saw I got outbid on a USFA 44-40/44 special I had bid on on GB. I went for far more than I would have been willing to pay for one. I suspect the Colts would be the same. I would like to have a decent Colt look-a-like revolver but its not a have to do thing either.

IMHO.....if you're gonna be shooting it alot......buy the Ruger Vaquero.

Buy the COLT SAA for the investment. LOL.....too many people don't want to shoot them because they're worried about having their investment value go down. Me....I shoot mine (these are 2nd Gen SAA revolvers). Cylinder rings and bluing wear.....that's life.

As for the Italian clones. I've had some bad luck with them. So, I won't/don't recommend them.

Aloha, Mark

Thanks for the post Mark. I forgot about this thread. If I had a Colt I would shoot it. No safe queens around here. My bud has a 4" Vaquero in 357 he offered to me. I have shot it before. Nice gun but heavy as heck. IIRC it weighs around 44oz unloaded. My Security sixes weigh 34-35oz unloaded with 4" barrels. I am glad you shoot and enjoy your Colt. Whats the point in saving it for someone else to shoot?

But I really want a 45 Colt. I guess I will just have to keep an eye out and hit a few gunshows. Gunbroker prices for Colts are crazy. Too many people looking and it runs up the prices.

I have a New Vaquero and a Uberti El Patron Belleza. The New Vaquero is a good gun but took a lot of gunsmith expense to get there. Spent more time in his safe than mine. The Uberti is a great gun but shot quite high until I had the front sight worked on to allow using 250 grain bullets.

If wanting to carry 6 rounds instead of 5, forget the Colt or the clones. None of them are going to be great carry guns except in open carry States with open carry situations. The popularity and even survival of the model offerings these days comes mainly from cowboy action shooting...which is half cock, load one, skip one, load four, full cock, decock, holster. Empty chamber under the hammer.

I'm a cowboy action shooter. We put lots of rounds through our guns. We also load five rounds in the revolvers even though some of them, like my Rugers, are safe fully loaded. Uberti announced the Cattleman II with the retracting hammer mounted firing pin a couple of years ago and they are transitioning all of their revolvers to this model. Some folks have reported issues with light strikes but it seems like the importers are addressing issues.

Personally, if I wanted to carry six rounds in a SA revolver I would buy a Ruger. If I wanted a Colt style revolver I would choose a Pietta Great Western 2 from EMF and load it with five rounds.

Found the video I was referring to. The new hammer and trigger can be added to the older guns so I am guessing the new guns can be refitted with the older hammer and trigger and get rid of the goofy safety.

I certainly would not make that assumption. Like it or not, safety mechanisms like that are to keep the manufacturer from getting sued in case someone gets injured with the gun. Why would a company offer parts that would increase their legal liability? Ruger will not sell you any parts for their earlier Three Screw revolvers for the same reason.

That video has been around for about two years now. I have not had a chance to personally examine one of the new Cattlemen with the retractable firing pin. But I can tell from the video that the trigger pushes an actuator which in turns shoves the firing pin forward. Even though I have not examined one yet, it seems to me that is going to affect the trigger pull, just as raising the transfer bar in a Ruger affects the trigger pull, which it does.

If you want an Uberti without the new retractable firing pin, look now, before all the older style ones disappear.

The New Vaquero is a good gun but took a lot of gunsmith expense to get there.

Really? I have three New Vaqueros, as well as three of the older 'original model' Vaqueros. They all worked just fine out of the box. I did a little bit of tweaking on the three older ones, but it was not necessary for them to function properly. I simply smoothed things up a bit. And added half cock hammers.

But talking about SA hammers and whether to carry six or five, my EMF .44 special has a 1/4 cock position that keeps the hammer mounted firing pin from contacting the chambered round. Is this safe to carry six?

And my Hawes "western Marshall" SA has the 1/4 cock position as well that allows the inertia firing pin to spring off the chambered round. Carry six or five?

Absolutely not safe. Take a close look at this photo of some Colt parts. The parts in your EMF or Hawes are very similar. The lower arrow is pointing to the sear (tip of the trigger). The upper arrow is pointing to the so called 'safety cock' notch. When the sear is positioned in the 'safety cock' notch, it would not take much of a blow to the hammer to shear off the sear, allowing the hammer to fall all the way and the firing pin to strike a primer. It has been shown over and over that a Colt style single action revolver dropped onto its hammer spur has a very good likelihood of firing when it strikes the ground, because something may break inside. Over and over again. That's why Ruger did away with their old Three Screw design and added the transfer bar to all their revolvers back in the 1970s. Too many lost lawsuits.

interiorpartswitharrows.jpg

Thats exactly why I asked the question. For Uberti to put a safety on the hammer like they did to me is a tacit way of saying I am too stupid to handle a gun in a safe manner. I feel the same way about the cross bolt safety on a Marlin, the internal lock on S&W revolvers, the lock Remington used to put on their bolt action rifles and other such devices. I am not alone.

Believe it or not, firearm manufacturers have been putting safety devices on their firearms for a long, long time. Did you know that the original Winchester Model 1873 incorporated a trigger interlock to prevent the rifle from being accidentally discharged before it was fully in battery?

This is a photo of the mechanism of a Model 1873 Winchester made in 1887. The front arrow points to a hammer block which prevents the trigger from being pulled if the lever has not yet been closed completely. The rear arrow points to the rear of the interlock.

Trigger%20Interlock%2001%20with%20arrows_zpsutlowifr.jpg

When the lever is completely closed, it pushes up the rear of the interlock, which in turn raises the hammer block so the rifle can be fired.

Trigger%20Interlock%2002%20with%20arrows_zpsw9mb9yui.jpg

This had nothing to do with lawyers, the engineers at Winchester realized that the new 44-40 cartridge was more powerful than the earlier 44 Henry Rimfire cartridge. If the shooter's finger accidentally grazed the trigger before the lever was completely closed, the toggle links were not lined up correctly yet. A discharge could send the bolt flying back towards the shooter's eye. So the trigger interlock was developed. Modern replicas include this feature, and in CAS we are always telling new guys not to dismantle it. It is there for their protection.

Anyway, Ruger or Uberti, they are both fine guns. I own both. You want to load six without worrying about it, buy a Ruger. You want the authenticity of the older design, buy the Uberti. If you don't want the retractable firing pin, act soon before the older design is all gone.

The New Vaquero is a good gun but took a lot of gunsmith expense to get there.
Really? I have three New Vaqueros, as well as three of the older 'original model' Vaqueros. They all worked just fine out of the box. I did a little bit of tweaking on the three older ones, but it was not necessary for them to function properly. I simply smoothed things up a bit. And added half cock hammers.
Don't suggest that I'm lying.

I've owned two Uberti revolvers both were very nice guns with the cleanest trigger pulls right out of the box. One was 2 lbs the other was 2&1/4 lbs. Both were very accurate and stood up very well to the tier two loads I was shooting in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back