Uberti Quality?

Deltadart

I recently purchased a 1851 nib on line. When the revolver arrived I was pleased as it appeared to be equal to the other four I have. BUT, then I noticed the casting cavities in the brass back strap. Contacted Stoeger they had me return the piece. They repaired and shipped back to me in about a month. This time the casting cavities were in the brass trigger guard. Contracted them again, they provided a prepaid shipping label, and back to the factory again. After a month I checked in on my gun only to be told they went though a whole box of parts and all of them had casting cavities in the back strap and trigger guards. They did refund the original purchase price to me, but I had to pay all the freight, I'm out over $35. Has Anyone else experienced this "issue"?

Last edited:
You don't by any chance have a picture of these defects, do you?
`Twould help us judge the extent of concern.

Deltadart sent me a pic of (one facet of) the defect which I reproduce below:

15332mc.jpg

Most unusual... both in appearance and for an Uberti

i wonder what's going on in the foundry.

It's still better than the folks who make the Trapper pistol. The brass in the Trapper's trigger guard is magneticable (yep, a magnet sticks to it).

deerslayer303

And the proper term for ferrous, is ferrocious.....lol :)

I have seen some small voids (air bubbles) in the brass castings of my older Pietta trigger guards. Character I guess.

Last edited:
Of the various Italian historical revolver replicas, the percussions appear to traditionally be taken the least seriously in terms of overall quality.

They're relatively inexpensive for a reason.
Denis

Of the various Italian historical revolver replicas, the percussions appear to traditionally be taken the least seriously in terms of overall quality.

And other areas as well. Pietta is the worst when it comes to historical accuracy.

Those pits aren't cool.

I'd send it back.

Seems Pietta's quality is going up, and Uberti's is going down... troubling.

Like someone said, these percussion guns aren't made to the best of standards. I think the Italians know that the vast majority are going to be wall hangers to begin with, hence the dirt cheap "confederate Navy" guns and stuff like that.

A little auto body putty would fix that right up.
Or maybe cover it with a happy face.
It won't make it shoot any different, though.

I think Uberti is lowering cost to see what they can get by with. If the shooting consumers do not complain then it is OK. However if the guns stay on the shelves of the dealers and wholesalers then they will change it back. The Uberti New Model Army and Colts may not be as costly as my Freedom Arms Grand Africian, but there is no excuse for sloppy work. The problem they have is outgassing on bronze they are casting. Theprocedure needs to be corrected and produce the quality we expect from a Uberti.

The problem they have is outgassing on bronze they are casting. Theprocedure needs to be corrected and produce the quality we expect from a Uberti.

It's not bronze. It's plain old soft brass.

Did some grip swapping and had to fill a bit at the bottom where the trigger guard meets the back strap. I soldered in a piece of brass then polished flush, the solder line was most invisible and now with a couple years of patina you wouldn't know it is there.
But you shouldn't have to do anything on that "new" gun!

The outgassing on Piettas does not appear to be a problem insofar as brass parts, particularly the trigger guard inner places where the factory did not pay much attention early on, but it seems they do now. I have purchased 2 Pietta revolvers (date code CM and CN) and the brass is almost perfect. I have no issues with them at all.

Back