Uberti nitre blue question

I refuse to believe there is significant difference between .429 and .452 for a straight wall cylinder. .44 Magnum and .45 Colt can be the same, if the only .45 Colt you own is a stout and sturdy Ruger.

The difficulty comes in if you also own a .45 built like a light and well balanced Colt, Uberti or now (just the make us crazy) one of the light weight .45 Colt Ruger’s.

Don’t put a specialty Ruger Only load in a lightweight .45 by mistake. That’s one advantage of .44 Magnum... all .44 Mags should handle the top end loads. This isn’t true for .45 Owners reloading hot.

I like to think of my .45 Magnum as a “Ruger only” .44-40. Now I have all the old time romance of the .45 Colt.

Blue Nitre... Great for dressing up screws for fancy art guns! It simply isn’t tough enough for exterior surfaces!

Is Ubertis nitre blue finish a true nitre blue or is it fire blue which is done by heating and quenching? How about the CCH on the frame is it real or is it faux like the finish Ruger put on the large frame Vaqueros.

I read that the Uberti 1873 revolver with a retractable firing pin has only three clicks. I own one with a retractable firing pin and it most definitely has four clicks! I don't depend on the retractable firing pin and only load five anyway. Is my Uberti a fluke with a retractable firing pin and four clicks or did I run across someone who can't hear or can't count?

Dang JG, not sure. I just tried my Uberti/ Taylor's 1873 .45 Colt and it is three clicks. My Pietta 1873 .45 Colt is four distinct clicks. Go figure.

Yep. Go figure. Maybe I just got lucky?! 3 clicks, 4 clicks, I don't really care. I rarely cock it slow enough to hear all of them. I will admit that I have to really slow down to hear the fourth click. I love it either way. It's a mighty fine shootin' iron!

OK. I think I figured it.out. 1st click, half-cock. 2nd click, bolt comes up. 3rd click, full cock. 4th click, trigger moves forward. Not the same clicks as a Colt, because there's no safety notch on the hammer, but there are definitely four clicks. Perhaps the full cock click and the trigger moving forward are supposed to happen simultaneously. Maybe a timing issue? Don't know, don't care. Shoots just fine!

Last edited:
Word of advice...don't store your Uberti in its holster. I have a Taylors / Uberti open top with the fake case hardened finish and noticed after a few months that it had a fine layer of rust along the barrel. I learned from experience, and fortunately I caught it early enough that I could buff it out.

When you're done shooting, clean the gun and give it a wipe down with a lightly oiled cloth, then store it in your safe without the holster.

Thanks winkytink. I don't store it in the holster, I'm too busy playing with it! But, when I'm done, in the safe she goes. Thanks for the advice.

Back