U.s milsurp guns

who's attacking? I'm simply trying to keep on the topic of US military surplus arms without it becoming a topic of CMP and their buying process.

perhaps I should just but out of conversations that include other members that I've disagreed with in the past.

DE Shooter, I didn't know that about US ordnance stamped 1891s, if I ever find one I sure hope the seller has no idea what he's hanging onto, I would love to have something that is such an oddity but I would hate to what must be pay a high premium for a mosin nagant.

No, perhaps you should just stop stiring the pot.
All I am doing is helping a fellow forum member. You are dragging in conflict.

To the OP, if you are interested or need help with purchasing from CMP, PM me

A beautiful, correct, all original US rifle can go for as much as $1200. But, you can find the US, made for Russia rifles from ~$250 to $450, depending on how much US is left. The original black walnut wood is a big plus, especially if the Rem or NEW cartouche is still visible. The most common found rifles have been thru Finland. Usually, they are pretty good shooters.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/model_1895.htm

Or a Winchester 1895, made by Westinghouse for the Czar?

Firearms historians are still trying to clear up official US Army use of the Model 1895. I stated in my long post that the Army bought 10,000 carbines; I should have said 10,000 muskets - although some of the order may - I emphasize "may" - have been in carbine configuration. The order of 10,000 was made in 1898 at the behest of General Nelson Miles, then Commanding General of the Army, who wanted to get the maximum number of .30-40's into the hands of troops for the Spanish-American War. Regulars and the Rough Riders had Krags; most other Volunteer units still had the .45-70 Trapdoor Springfields. The 1895's were too late for the Santiago campaign, although a number of .30-40 carbines were in the hands of officers as their private weapons. (This was correctly shown in the 1997 film "The Rough Riders.")

Last edited:
US guns are great but a little pricey vs imports.

Now with that said there are some great import Milsup rifles out there.

Mosin 91/30
Mosin M44
Lee Enfields - Which I love!!!
The 8mm Mauser and it's variants from other countries.
Steyr M95/34 8X56R
Swiss M1931 RIFLE 7.5X55MM
Swiss Schmidt-Rubin Rifle M1896 7.5x55mm

And this list goes on and on.

My point is do not miss the chance to own one of these old classic war weapons.
They shoot great, US brass manufactures are starting to produce reasonably priced brass.
And in MHO owning the history is well worth the investment.:D

Back