U.S. Citizenship

Other than potentially being subject to a military draft, what else does United States citizenship give me as an adult male?

I'd have to say the best pizza in the world. Sure, we'll serve it to foreigners, but it has to be an empty feeling, knowing that your home country can't make it as yummy.

To me, my US Citizenship includes:

The right to fly my flag.

The right to brag that I serve 24 years, trying to defend the beliefs of our country. I was shot at, spit upon, beat and lied to. (And Not always in the bars I frequented. :cool:)

I can freely get on to the internet and lie my butt off, like so many others. :o

I have access to some of the best doctor in the world.

I had the opportunity to go to school at no cost to me. I could have gone on to college.

The right to keep and bear arms.

Most of the police forces I have encountered here in the USA are made up of non-corrupt policemen and women.

I can freely write my political representative and complain about them.

The US Postal system works.

The right to earn a decent living.

The United States of America has many things I do not like, but even the things I do not like are much better here than in most the countries I have visited or even lived in. I have not yet found a better place to live.

I lived for twelve years in Korea. It is really a nice and idyllic country (or was, I left in 1995) until you learn the language and start reading the papers and dealing with politicians.

I now take vacations to visit my wife's family in the Philippines. They last between three weeks to a month. The corruption is horrendous and don't even think about laying your hands on a firearm, unless you pay someone off.

The education system in the Philippines is incredible. The parents pay for their kids to go to public schools. The post office in her town never has stamps ("Leave the letter and the money and we'll get some stamps.") The police force consist of two cops, one motorcycle and an attitude of "Whats in it for me?!?"

My wife taught college in the Philippines for the princely sum of $300.00 a month. She had a very good job. She now works for the department of mental health (No I am not her favorite client :)) here in Missouri and made more than 10 times that a month.

Say, Mr. Sparta23 (from Athens), if you are still reading this forum, could you please update us on the tax and debt situation in Greece from an insiders perspective. Some of us over here are a little worried about our own problems concerning the same.

Back