U.S. Citizenship

For several years, I have had the same question rolling through my head. So for, it hasn’t bumped into a decent answer, perhaps you can help. Here it is:

Other than potentially being subject to a military draft, what else does United States citizenship give me as an adult male?

Please, do not say the right to vote. The “motor-voter” laws pretty well erased that exclusive privilege. If there was a smidgen of that privilege remaining, the fruits of political action groups, such as ACORN, wiped the slate clean.
So, with all sincerity, I want to know, what makes being an American citizen so special?

In other civilizations, being a citizen carried distinct responsibilities, and guaranteed specific rights. Recall the Greek City States or Rome as examples.

I’m just hoping for a little intelligent discussion here; that’s all.

Thanks for playing.

Lets see......

Basically all the good (and the bad) of our society. That's what being a citizen gets you.

All those basic natural rights that we call "constitutional rights" are yours as a citizen. And while you may argue that we also give them to everyone physically in the country, if the govt didn't recognize them for citizens, they wouldn't for any one else, either.

And you get the joy of paying US taxes!:D

Which might not seem like a good thing, but talk to people from other countries and see how they look at it.

Realdeal, thanks for participating. To answer your question, read my sig line. Also, I've been in two wars, three revolutions, one failed coup and seen a man crucified. This is my 65th year as a U.S. citizen.

wow now I remember why I don't like vague answers. LOL. I am referring to my answer where I gave no examples even though I gave an honest answer. Sir, you definately have some stories, and I believe you. I would be interested in hearing some of them sometime. I can't helpit- I was the same way when 'Coach' started telling his many life experiences on "Survivor".

Here's the 'official' answer from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service's website:

Rights (excluding those available to everyone in the country)
# Right to vote in (federal) elections for public officials.
# Right to apply for federal employment (and be eligible for federal grants and scholarships).
# Right to run for elected (federal) office.

Responsibilities (excluding those applicable to everyone in the country)
# Serve on a jury when called upon.

You can order rifles from the CMP and you can get a C&R license. Legal permanent residents need not apply. What other reasons do you need? ;)
Other than potentially being subject to a military draft...
IIRC the US military can draft a legal permanent resident, they just can't stop him/her from leaving the country if he/she wishes to do so to avoid being drafted, although he/she may not be able to come back after doing so.

AFAIK you can be exempted from the draft for having previously served in the military of another NATO member nation, but this doesn't help most legal permanent residents. (AFAIK this is also true of US military veterans living abroad.)

I know one benefit that I cherished when I visited China:

The protection of the US Government when overseas.

Had we encountered any trouble, the US Embassy was our fortress. Should we have been detained we would have had a bunch of... motivated people in the US Government trying to get us home. Not many countries have the sway of the US government when it comes to bringing getting citizens back from captivity.

I remember a story from Israel. I can't verify its veracity and I'm too lazy to google it, but maybe someone here has heard it, too. A bus was captured by terrorists and all the people were asked for their passports (so that the terrorists could use the Israeli passports to travel between the border). Two of the captured were US Citizens and had US Passports. They were promptly released and issued an apology. Speculation is that the terrorists could deal with Israel irritated, but they didn't want to give America any more reason to get involved.

Sefner said:
Had we encountered any trouble, the US Embassy was our fortress. Should we have been detained we would have had a bunch of... motivated people in the US Government trying to get us home. Not many countries have the sway of the US government when it comes to bringing getting citizens back from captivity.
Yeah, that really worked out swell for those three hikers who (allegedly) strayed into Iran awhile back. Truth be told, if they hadn't been Americans they probably never would have been arrested.

Yeah, that really worked out swell for those three hikers who (allegedly) strayed into Iran awhile back. Truth be told, if they hadn't been Americans they probably never would have been arrested.

I figured someone would bring this up. One of the hikers was returned and the other two are still alive. That's better than say... if they had been Saudi or Israeli and caught in Iran.

True that. They would probably have never been heard from ever again. Ever.

I can't believe we have got this far into it and no one has mentioned the most basic point. Until and unless you are designated an enemy of the state you are covered by the Constitution of the United States. These are pretty considerable rights and freedoms, much better than every country out there, so long as you are not wanting to be in a "caretaker" state. Residents are not necessarily covered and can be deported.

You have to go pretty far to get designated and enemy of the state.

"what else does United States citizenship give me as an adult male?"

"Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country." - JFK

I appreciate this thread and the question. It is nice to know that i'm not the only one who has ever wondered about the benefits of citizenship; i think we've all been reminded of the responsibilities of citizenship many times.

Anybody considered that this might be part of the illegal immigration problem; what is the benefit to becoming a citizen for an already employed illegal immigrant living in the U.S? (Other than the exemption from deportation to another country, of course)

You mean now it's a privilege to vote? I thought that was a right. Not necessarily a birthright, since there are those who argue that doesn't exist, but a right just the same. Other than that, I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, though. I'm intensely happy to be an American and proud, too, but it was no achievement.

Because as a "real" American, you have ..

... much more of a REASON than a right to vote. You have a lot more to lose by failure to vote. I mean to impugn no-one, so if you are feeling denigrated, it is your own fault. I have left sweat and blood on four continents for this USA, and none of it was from being snagged on razor-wire. Semper Fi

"what else does United States citizenship give me as an adult male?"

Give you? Do you think the country owes you something other than the right to call yourself an American?

Back