TX22 going to the range

Nathan

Well, I finally bought a TX22. Today is the first range day.

IMG-0844.jpg

I have 250 rounds of 4 or 5 types of ammo. I gave it a good cleaning and just a bit of oil. Manual covers none of this! We’ll see what happens.

People either love/hate this gun. Here there are many positive comments. On TaurusArmed, there are as many negative as positive. I own it now, so it will either shoot or go back to Taurus! I’m not going to fluff & buff or change parts for no reason!

Mags were ok to load. The 16’s seem to use a different loader than the 22’s! WTH! The included loader works slowly.

I love mine. Ive shot a variety of ammo brands through it with no issues. Such a smooth gun. I put Shield RMSc red dot on it. Nothing bad to say about this pistol.

The TX22's mag isn't like a Glock mag, the spring doesn't get too tight, even on the 16th round. I wouldn't bother with the mag loader or use the side tabs to aid loading. When I load .22LR, I like to ensure I don't rimlock, which is easy to do if you're just dropping rounds in the mag. Load the 1st round, then wedge in the rest.

Got out to the range finally. Pistol was clean and lightly lubed by me! So, here we go:
IMG_0875.jpg

I shot Aguila 22 pistol match, Norma Match 22, Armscor, and finally CCI Std Velocity. I ran out of time to shoot the Fed GMM. So, 250 rounds downrange.

Bummer was I had 2 stove pipes in the last 30 rounds. Dirty?? Breaking not done?? I don’t know. Ok for now.
IMG_0885.jpg
IMG_0882.jpg

Accuracy was good. Here are 16 at 5yds.
IMG_0877.jpg

10 rds at 15yds.
IMG_0880.jpg

16rds at 10 yds
IMG_0881.jpg

As you can see accuracy is good, but not great. I’m standing 2 hand hold. I shoot my 9mm about the same, I think.

A few notes from my viewpoint:
- For a man with large size glove hands, the grip is just right, but the top of the grip is a bit blocky, causing the safety to be hard to manipulate. This hurts training a bit. It is borderline ok.

- Reliability was so-so, but this is a 22 trainer. For that, 2 in 250rnds is probably ok. That said, does it get better, worse or stay the same?? Was it rim lock? I noticed around that time I was creating rim lock when loading haphazardly.

- Trigger quality is poor but trigger weight is light making for an all-around decent pull for training. Trigger pull just cannot be that important.

-Sights appear to be Glock sights which is a good move for Taurus.

- Disassembly is easy. Reassembly is not bad, but a bit clunky. Better than most 22 pistols.

-oddly, the 22rd mag and the 16rd mags load completely differently. Both are a bit hard to load than most 22LR mags. That said, they are truly double stack mags. I prefer the 16rd mag, but need a lakeline loader or similar.

Final Statement: It is a good training emulator for your typical 4 inch or CCW sized 9mm. For about $25 you can get a real range session in as opposed to spending $25 and being afraid to shoot more than 50 rounds. Additionally, there are some things that you can only learn when recoil is not a factor. For that, it is a winner!

The current pricing when buying online is a bit crazy. It listed for like $256 at BattleHawk Armory. After tax, shipping, and transfer fee. I think I’m out $325.

Last edited:
Your offhand shooting isn't bad at all. I'd say that's decent accuracy for what it is. I'd bet those groups tighten up once you get used to the trigger and ergonomics.

What brand/make are those extended 22 round mags?

It may need a cleaning, lube or possibly a mag issue. I let mine go a while between cleanings, but I usually lube it up before each trip to the range. I only have Taurus mags in mine.

Hangup is with bare lead bullet.
Most of these dinky things shoot better with plated high velocity. My S&W is best with MiniMags, ok with Aguila now it is "broken in."

Well, it looked really dirty, but a wiped it down with Weaponshield, cleaned the barrel in like 3-4 patches….1 kroil, 1 Cleansoil scrubbing back & forth 10 strokes, then a couple dry patches and it was clean.

Added a couple drops of Weaponshield, tightened the barrel nut and reassembled. It should be ready for next time!

Only thing of note was the barrel nut was tight when new and finger tight after shooting. Hmm.

Well, it looked really dirty, but a wiped it down with Weaponshield, cleaned the barrel in like 3-4 patches….1 kroil, 1 Cleansoil scrubbing back & forth 10 strokes, then a couple dry patches and it was clean.

Added a couple drops of Weaponshield, tightened the barrel nut and reassembled. It should be ready for next time!

Only thing of note was the barrel nut was tight when new and finger tight after shooting. Hmm.
Likely differential heating. The barrel and cap might be just different enough in composition that the cap expands slightly more than the barrel when heated.

>>but need a lakeline loader or similar.<<

What you need is a McFadden Lightning Grip loader as shown below. I was hesitant to try it, but wouldn't be without one now. In fact, I just bought a second one to keep in my truck. And don't listen to those who say "only the included Taurus loader will work", as it's simply not true.

https://www.mcfaden.com/product-p/lightnin-grip.htm

I looked into the McFadden loader, but nothing for the TX22. am I looking at this wrong?

Today, I shot another 120 with 0 issues. Winchester 555, Wolf 22 LR Match Target and CCI Standard Velocity. All performed well. I shot some for accuracy which I’m improving, even at 15 yds!

I spent some time working on front site bounce(in recoil) keeping it vertical and not moving diagonally. It’s all about the grip. Something that is harder to perfect with larger caliber.

I also spent time with target to target transitions. Those too are key. All of these things take ammo and low recoil helps a bit.

>>I looked into the McFadden loader, but nothing for the TX22. am I looking at this wrong?<<

Refer to my link above. There is a specific adaptor for use with the Taurus TX-22. I have two of these now...one for home use and a second one that stays in my truck for range use.

>>I looked into the McFadden loader, but nothing for the TX22. am I looking at this wrong?<<

Refer to my link above. There is a specific adaptor for use with the Taurus TX-22. I have two of these now...one for home use and a second one that stays in my truck for range use.

I found it. There is a page 2 hidden in there.

Bought one. We’ll see, but YouTube makes it look effortless! Now I need a bulk ammo sale!

Back