Two Great Rifle Shots

Have you ever heard of either of these shots before?

• Yes

Votes: 35 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters
I've read about the Adobe Walls story before, never heard of the other. Can you imagine what the indians thought after that shot? I don't think I'd be sticking around too long if I were them.

On another note, the shot Gus made at the outlaw squawking like a chicken in Lonesome Dove was one to be remembered, the way he shot under them to lure them into showing themselves (thinking they were out of range), then cranking up the sights and tagging the moron. Okay, granted that was fiction, but it's not too far of a stretch to believe those types of shots happened every once in a while back then with guys behind the gun that had been shooting since they were 2 yrs old. With a little luck, it could be done once in a great while I'd think.

Your right about that. They grew up with rifles in their hands, and their very lives depended on them. Given human nature and talent you can bet that there were a lot of outstanding shooters roaming around back then, and that a lot of the truly great shots of all time were never recorded at all.

You ought to study up on Jack Bean. Billy Dixon hit AN Indian whilst shooting at a group with a borrowed rifle. Jack Bean hit THE Indian he was aiming at with his own (scope sighted) rifle. Range ca. 1200-1300 yards.

In the later years before Sharps folded in 1881, about 25% of the rifles made were shipped with factory installed telescopic sights.

BTW, Jack Bean will be mentioned in my own book. It's in Chapter 14 on the post-Civil War era that preceded the Dawn of Sniping.

Presently I'm waiting for the last reader to get back to me and after I incorporate the changes, it's back to the editor. Geez, it looks like it won't be out until 2006. :(

Back