Two-eyed shooting

Navy Seal Shooting?

So I've been looking at all kinds of stuff online, and naturally it all disagrees with itself (which is weird, because if it's on the Internet, it's automatically true! So many different absolute truths out there...crazy...)

One thing I've found is an ex-Navy Seal named Chris Sajnog who wrote a book and huge series of videos called "How to Shoot Like a Navy Seal." I've only breezed through his videos, but it seems his entire practice is about overriding natural responses through deliberate, intensive retraining of your brain to focus INTENTLY (he loves that word) on the front sight, so that eventually your brain no longer regards the ghosted images seen by the non-dominant eye. I'm not about to question the wisdom of Navy Seals nor their shooting accuracy.

Is anyone familiar with him or his book, or his training school?

But then I find videos of guys who are ringing steel at 75 yards using guns with no sights on them at all.

So I've been practicing and experimenting, which my first instructor said never to do because I'll confuse myself and lose my skill. Anyways, the effectiveness of various techniques seems to vary with distance. At super short distances, just aiming the gun somewhere in the vicinity of a target is sufficient. In fact under 5' the advice is to not extend the gun all the way because you risk having it knocked from your hands. Out to about 25' I seem to have little difficulty picking up the front sight when focusing on the target with both eyes--the front sight is blurry but still clear enough to see where it's pointed, and I can align it reasonably well between the rear sights. My second gun has XS Big Dot on it and I find that much easier to align with this method--and I think that's what it's designed for.

Beyond that distance, there's this weird middle zone where I seem to focus at some nebulous area that's really neither the front sight nor the target, but it allows me to see both well enough to still make a reasonably accurate shot. Of course my instinct is to fall back on one-eyed shooting, which becomes far more accurate. But I've also spent a year practicing that exclusively.

One thing I've learned is that focusing on the front sight with both eyes looks to require the most retraining for me. Everything gets wonky and I can easily miss the entire cardboard target. Perhaps the Navy Seal's method really is the best, but if I'm able to shoot well with other methods, is there a point to investing the time required to retrain my brain to use his method?

One thing I've decided is that I need to be able to shoot with both eyes open, regardless of method. I've been startled and surprised often enough to know that my focus automatically locks onto whatever may be a threat, and I don't want to lose half my field of view by forcing one eye closed.

One thing I've learned is that focusing on the front sight with both eyes looks to require the most retraining for me
That may be because keeping both eyes open does not mean that you try to look at the front sight with both eyes. You use your dominant eye only. Keeping the other eye open does not produce the strain that closing one does.
Pete

I think I once read where Bill Jordan said words to the effect that if you aim you lose. How come a base ball pitcher can throw strikes at way more than self defence distance?

Man that's pretty technical stuff. I just take some Folger's coffee cans and coke cans out in the desert and pepper them. About 30 feet for coffee cans (size of a head / yes headshots you can't wear armor on your face), draw and rip one off fast as I can soon as the gun is pointed the right direction. No sighting no nothing just crack it off. Takes a while to get used to but straight up a couple boxes and you're on it. Less time from first twitch by either party to round on target. Becomes an extension of my hand. Where you look is where you hit.

Works for me anyway may be no good for anyone else

Back