Two confederate navy revolvers, brass

Hawg, how are the castings in your older Piettas? Did they take the time to mill or file the roughness after the cast, or are they used the way they came out of the mold?
I heard somewhere, don't know how true, older Piettas weren't as good as more recent. Thoughts?

You may very well be correct about mark, but wondering why that has to be a manufactures mark as opposed to an import mark.
If I wanted to I could place an order a certain brand of guitar from japan, tell them what I would like different to save cost and have them put any name I want on the headstock, have them shipped and sell them here. They would still be that companies guitar even if it had my name on it.
Sears, as an example has done that forever.

Got to looking at that PR stamp in your pic as well. 'C' for 'conical'? lol

Again, you may very well be correct, probably are. I am still researching, no solid conclusions, and it really doesn't matter to me what it is. Just like to know what it is. And thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Brassers

I consider brass frames the smoothest to shoot due ro a natural slickness of brass surfaces. Everything is smoother!
My plan is to one day build-up a .36 cal brasser with a short bbl ,with a slightly modified grip and short barrel as a "Belly Gun". Slick fast ammo anda good hand fit!
Even at the worst case, a guy could just do with a 5"Cabelas Piettia in 44 caliber. It's a pretty slick rig!
The main thing is smooth
thanks for listening.
ZVP

jimemers, Factory finished guns are smooth on the outside, they may be a little rough on the inside. Kit guns are rough on the outside when you get them and have to be smoothed. I've only ever owned one brass frame and that's the one in the pic, a .36 Remington made by PR. Almost all of the Importers used initials such as FIE, EIG etc. That is a G not a C and you need to stop trying to make markings such as that mean something because they don't. Pietta went to CNC machinery in 99 or 2000 but I have a Pietta made in 76 that's just as good as anything they make now.

Hawg, wasn't trying to make anything mean anything, was asking questions. But I have had a powerful magnifying glass over every square inch. It really is a 'C' a very very clear and concise stamp. Whatever it stands for. figure confederate most likely. but, idk for sure.
I was just joking a couple times as I asked what it might stand for.

I know about kits, put more than a few together. I was asking how they were inside, such as straps etc on some of the models older and newer, if rough inside on some as opposed to others is all...I just don't have any old and new to compare inside of brass on different ones is all.

Well, the ASM is older, but smooth on inside, was cast, then milled and filed smooth after, inside and out. The other is rough inside in places. But it's even older, by 2 years.
I have been comparing pictures of parts on the web in the meantime.

Last edited:
I thought you were talking about the G on mine, sorry. The inside of the grip frame is usually a little rougher.

Back