Twist rate question

What atmospheric conditions were you shooting in?
Unclenick, I have no idea. It wasn't recently so I can only say it was between 70-80 degrees but windy. The 1000 yard range is not flat. It's relatively level out to 300 yards and open field to 200. At 300, 400, 500, there's a hill on the left and it slopes to the right of the targets to an open field. 600 has trees to the left on that hill, then the ground goes down behind 600 for about 30 yards, then slopes up to having 700 on a hill higher than 600 with forest on both sides. The top of the 700 yard hill continues flat to 800,900 and 1000, all 3 being in an open field again.

There are wind flags at 200-400-600-800-, all going in multiple directions at any given time. One of the members is post military, great shooter and he got me
into this game. He thinks our trajectories are above the trees at 600 so the wind flags are easy to depend upon.

I have a Nikkon M-308 scope 4-16 on a 6.5 Creedmoor that has a series of verticle reticle hash marks, and clear and black circles. By sighting in at 200 yds with 16 power, I have a hash or dot for every target out to 1000 without changing the scope settings. Vertical trajectory was perfect but the wind (as usual) was the devil in the details. I really like the scope only to find Nikkon stopped making it and scopes in general. I can't find another one anywhere on the internet.

The stability estimators assume the ICAO standard atmosphere which is at 59 degree and zero relative humidity, so it is denser air than you had. That difference raises the stability factor by half a digit or more (if you had humidity), so perhaps just enough to play nicely. Try a few in cold weather and if the groups start opening up, you'll know you were running on the edge.

Back