TV and Movie Cops and Guns

Prof Young

So why is it that every TV and movie cop in the whole world immediately puts their finger in the trigger guard every time they pick up a gun, even if it's just to look at it. I'd think the film industry weapons people would know that that is not a real world cop and teach their actors better.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Ignorance. I was working with a vet actor who said that he was being told to hold an AR15 by both the pistol grip and forward grip while running full sprint in tactical gear. Mind you the forward grip was at the /end/ of the handguard rail

For the same reason they get 20 shots out of a 10 round magazine. They get at least 12 out of a 6 shot revolver. lol

They are actors. In their world style triumphs over substance every time.
+1. Also, the last time I checked...
  • Pistols don't automatically make a "ka-CHIK" sound whenever they're drawn from a holster.
  • Guns must be aimed in order to hit things, even at close range.
  • It's really difficult to hit a man-sized target beyond contact distance while shooting from the hip.
  • High-powered rifles have stout recoil that requires shooter recovery, and the muzzle blast is painfully deafening when firing indoors without hearing protection.
  • Ammo is heavy. It's physically demanding to carry enough of it to sustain constant rapid fire for several minutes.
  • Even a physically fit 19-year-old soldier has difficulty running and bounding over obstacles while carrying a machine gun, several hundred rounds of ammo (see above), full body armor, and a pack containing a full complement of sleeping gear and food.
  • There's not an loud "whiff-POCK" sound when you punch someone.
  • Tires don't squeal on loose dirt or gravel roads.
  • Airplanes don't immediately assume a 45-degree nose-down attitude and make a screeching sound when the controls are released.
  • Auto accidents don't sound like breaking glass.
Hollywood fiction is... fiction. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It make the show or movie more dramatic if the gun is constantly in shot and waving about. This is why I can't watch most movies anymore, that are gun related, I just end up getting annoyed.

[Tires don't squeal on loose dirt or gravel roads/QUOTE]

Sometimes, they do. I clearly heard mine do it as I slid off a gravel road one time. Most of the time though, if they do, we don't hear it.

One thing that really bugs me is how all the empty guns go "click, click, click" after they run dry. Not just DA revolvers, but everything! Clearly Hollywood knows that when you pull the trigger, a gun goes "click" if it doesn't fire. Every gun,every time....

In Hollywood's defence: Sheriff in Aliens Vs Predator Requiem has finger on slide when investigating a parked truck. In the Way of the Gun, the gun work seems quite realistic.

(if it wasn't, keep it to yourself: I really like that film and don't want the illusion ruined... thank you!!;))

Aside from that, yes agree with the OP!

Last edited:
Most of this stuff doesn’t really bother me, but I saw one the other day where the detective pulls out his GLOCK then a second later you hear him cock the hammer. :confused:

I seen a movie recently where two guys came in on another and they both pulled revolvers and you heard them both ka-chink and chambered rounds.

Just seen one yesterday where a group of training FBI agents were at an indoor shooting range and as the camera panned through each actor firing their large caliber pistols, not a one of them showed any sign of recoil. I wish it was that easy.

They get at least 12 out of a 6 shot revolver.

What, you never heard of the extended cylinder option for revolvers?
They're fully endorsed by Hoolwood and can double or triple any revolvers capacity. ;)

A tad off topic, but I'd like to see a law that would make it illegal for anti-gun actors to be able to EVER use or touch a firearm in any movie. Sure would make for some "interesting" movies ... and fewer of them too!:D

I always find it hilarious finding such goofs.

My favorite so far is in The Walking Dead. Now this is my favorite series on TV right now next to Southland...in the very first episode, Rick tells a deputy to make sure he "had a round in the chamber, and the safety off". Of course, the safety was on, so the deputy audibly clicks it off.

Which would be fine, if it weren't a standard Glock 17 :rolleyes:

I watched an old Columbo film last night. The bad guy used a .38 special revolver with a silencer. Sure enough, when fired it just went "Phhhht" with no audible sound...:rolleyes:

Another goofy issue is I can't count how many times cops pull there weapons out of holster then have to rack a round into the chamber. Where in the wrold are all of these crazy cops who don't carry their weapons with rounds in the chamber?

And then there is the opposite, the totally unexpected good gun handling.

For no ulterior motive whatsoever I was watching a Jack Lemmon movie ‘How To Murder Your Wife’ (and I was watching it with my wife, so there!).

Jack Lemmon plays a cartoonist that draws a secret agent comic strip but he acts everything out in real life that he draws.

In getting ready to go out on a caper his butler hands him his snub nosed .38 and the very first thing Lemmon does with no fanfare or comment is swing out the cylinder to check the load.

Back