Turn NEW bolt rifle into OLD Mauser lookalike

The 1912 Steyr made Chilean mauser is a good specimen, because the Chilean government rebarreled a ton of those with 1903 barrels, which they cut and rechambered to 7.62×51.
I have one thats a decent shooter, matching stock but not all parts match, picked it up to fill a void in my cartridge selection...
Ive bedded and inletted mauser actions on custom builds, it can be very taxing if you only use handtools like I do...

"...8mm is drying up..." Milsurp 8mm Mauser ammo dried up long ago. However, there's lots of commercial hunting ammo. It just isn't cheap.
"...any stocks out there like this..." Nope.
Making a commercial hunting rifle look like a W.W. II vintage battle rifle will cost a fortune. However, anything is possible with enough time and money.
Still best to find an FN Mauser. AKA Israeli Mauser. Post war manufacture K98 in .30-06.

^^^
Israeli Mausers, both the K98k conversions as well as the new ones contracted with FN for the IDF were all 7.62 NATO.

I prefer the opposite approach... K98k into a modern stock :)

wXykW0d.jpg

Last edited:
I've done this several times, but a different process as I have a stock duplicator.

With the duplicator, couldn't you start from a blank and inlet the inside for the Ruger and shape the outside like a Mauser from scratch? Of course the OP will have to be willing to pay for the work. Probably a LOT for the work, but hey, he wants common ammo, he has to go get it.

^^^
First "step" depends on the pattern stock. If it can be considered "sacrificial"- not borrowed, or very valuable- then I'll work directly on it; shaping, sanding, bondo, etc. to get the needed dimensions at the action area, barrel channel, etc. If I can't work directly on the pattern, I'll instead copy directly to a cheap blank and then work from there.

For inletting, it's a matter of lining up the stock with the inletting to be traced, to the newly made pattern.
If I'm working directly on the donor stock that had already been inletted, I'll fill the inletting solid with an epoxy filler and then trace the inletting over.

Yes- very labor intensive and not really suitable for a one-off, unless it's a rare or irreplaceable stock that can no lo her be obtained. Natch, once you've got the desired pattern stock done, running the duplicates is the " easier" part.

Zastava has put a lot of modern Mauser sporters on the market. Remington even marketed them for a while, I think.

Might be possible to shoehorn one of those into a milsurp stock.

Your initial question was about a Ruger 77. The Ruger's angled front screw would be an issue.
In the 50's,60s,and 70's cheap Mausers were in barrels in every hardware store,Bishop and Fajen offered stocks and Everytown had a gunsmith that would convert them to sporters.
Rifles seldom go to the dump.
There is another variant. A "utility rifle" .It was not about the fine gunsmith's art.The original stock forend was shortened,handguard removed.Maybe a receiver sight was fitted.
But pretty much,the barreled action is intact. That would be your prize,maybe.
If you really want a modern sporter,the 98 mauser action was used in JC Higgins/Ted Williams sort of rifles,Brownings,Mark 10's,and many others.
Any of those will go into a military stock with minimal work.Beware there are some variants,such as the Yugo,that have a different length.and guard screw spacing.
Quality stepped,military contour pre-threaded and short chambered barrels are available from Walther.

To simply rebarrel a milsurp mauser to 308 does not always feed properly.

The 308 has less case taper.Its fatter at the shoulder. Which means the mag stack gets tight at the shoulder dia while it is still loose at the case head.

The bolt will tend to over ride the case head,then bite into and crush the side of the case.The round feeds about half way up the ramp before everything jams up.

Of course,it can be corrected. There are plenty of .308 Mausers.

But just screwing in a barrel might leave problems to solve.

Back