Turkish Mauser 8mmx57

Rather Sarcastic don't you think. I admit I don't know it all yet but I will and from what I've already learned I feel you may have been mislead by some inaccurate information. I try hard to fact check my info before I post it but sometimes it returns a false positive so this could be what you've come up against also.

I believe I have sold 35 Turkish Mausers in the last year. None of them were 93s. I sold 2 more last weak. I would not hesitate to remove the barrel and replace it with a 270W, 30/06, 308W. Most of the Turks I sold were large ring/small shank rifles. I have friends that have purchased the M38 Turks by the 100s for the purpose of cleaning then up and turning them into custom type rifles. many of them became 35 Whelens.

And then there was the 1893 Turks with the notch in the rear of the receiver ring. There was a limit as to how big they would chamber them. They did good work because no one ever noticed the notch was filled.

https://www.turkmauser.com/1938/

F. Guffey

Actually, I'm talking about the Gew. 98. A Kale is a little harder to come by. A lot of people don't realize that the Springfield was a copy of the 98 and was chambered in 30-06. It was such a good copy that Paul Mauser sued over it and won.

A lot of people don't realize that the Springfield was a copy of the 98 and was chambered in 30-06

A lot of people? the Springfield receiver ring was the same diameter as the small ring MAUSER,

A lot of people? The 03 had a barrel with a large shank. How large? The shank on the 03 was larger in diameter than the shank on the 98 Mauser.

When I ask a lot of people; "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?" They do not have a clue, but the 03 receiver ring was thinner than the small ring Mauser.

And then the Muasers made another Mauser, it had a small ring with a large shank, I was told not to shoot one because I could blow my tail gage off, SO? I chambered it to 8MM06. And then I said that rifle could be shot by moving the trigger back and or forward.

F. Guffey

So what do I want it for you might be thinking? Well if it is a 1893 Mauser Action and the bolt is a M98 like it appears to be in the pictures then this is a probably a large thread action

Check the bolt knob on the handle, If it is straight with a round knob it is uses the 98 bolt and is a Model 38. If the bolt handle is tear drop shaped it is a 7.65mm53 Belgum Mauser, if the rifle made it through rebuild it will be an 8MM57.

F. Guffey

The Mauser lawsuit seems to have covered some other stuff besides clips.
Patent Infringements for which Royalties were paid:
•467180 , Shell Extractor 20 cents per arm
•477671, Shell Extractor & Collar 5cents per each arm.
•482376, Clips, (called cartridge holder for magazine guns) 50 cents per thousand clips
•527869, Oct, 1894 , Magazine 25 Cents per each arm.
•547932, Clip (called cartridge pack) 50 cents per thousand clips.
•547933, Safety, covered by 590271
•590271, Sept, 1897 25 cents per each arm

Seen at https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...pay-royalties-to-mauser-or-didnt-they.678849/

There was no lawsuit over the M-1903 design by Mauser

From what I've always heard, there was, and after several years of wrangling the US did pay royalties, but Mauser never got any money. Supposedly, the money was paid by the US, but due to WWI, it was put in an escrow account, not paid to Mauser at the time. After WWI, the money was taken by the govt (not certain if it was ours or another) as part of the Versailles Treaty mandated war reparations Germany had to pay.

Sure, the Springfield is not a clone of the Mauser 98, but if you look at a Mauser 93, 95, and 98 and a Springfield 1903 and don't see Mauser's influence, you need to have someone drive you to get your eyes checked. ;)

but if you look at a Mauser 93, 95, and 98 and a Springfield 1903 and don't see Mauser's influence,

Without help Springfield went on a junket and came back with the Crag:rolleyes:

I have always thought Springfield worked WWHUA as in head up their donkeys. Browning discovered nickel in 1893, Springfield managed to find 25 years later.

And then there was the brilliant ideal with the third safety lug; Mauser had their 3rd lug on the bottom of the bolt and out of sight. Springfield put the 3rd lug on the right side of the bolt in front of the rear receiver ring. I was the only one that benefited from the exposed lug.

F. Guffey

Last edited:
yeah, durn all them Crags, Craigs, Mousers, Lugars and all them funny names what ain't spelled right...

And for all of their effort they could have had a Mauser and or for less money they could have tried to hire Browning.

F. Guffey

From what I've always heard, there was, and after several years of wrangling the US did pay royalties, but Mauser never got any money. Supposedly, the money was paid by the US, but due to WWI, it was put in an escrow account, not paid to Mauser at the time. After WWI, the money was taken by the govt (not certain if it was ours or another) as part of the Versailles Treaty mandated war reparations Germany had to pay.

Sure, the Springfield is not a clone of the Mauser 98, but if you look at a Mauser 93, 95, and 98 and a Springfield 1903 and don't see Mauser's influence, you need to have someone drive you to get your eyes checked.

That's pretty much what I've read in a couple of different articles. I have F. Guffey blocked so I don't know what he is rambling about now..LOL. No, not going to unblock him to find out... Ha.

Got to agree with the Guf.
We could have just bought the Mauser package and shot .30x 2 1/4". (7.62x57)
Or the home brew Remington Lee.

That's pretty much what I've read in a couple of different articles. I have F. Guffey blocked so I don't know what he is rambling about now..

https://www.turkmauser.com/1938/

All and or most of the rambling came from one site, you should consider rearranging your 'good buddy list' none of the information you had when you started this thread was accurate. And it would have helped had you furnished a link to the auction you were bidding on.

https://classic.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=7309186

Years ago I bid on and won the Remington M1917 auction. I did not furnish a link to any gun forum. I did notice the auction had created interest. Nothing has changed, there was not one kind word by those that had no clue what they were looking at. When I informed them I had an interest it got worst. The rifle won the 'ugliest rifle contest'. My first thought was for the 'sum of the parts' and then there was a chance....?

I did not use the rifle for the sum of the parts and it would be difficult to spend $1,000s of dollars building a rifle that was more accurate.

F. Guffey

Picked up the rifle last evening and it's in really good shape. The prior owner got most of the nasty storage grease off it and Simple Green took care of the rest. The barrel had many layers of copper over carbon so it will be a few days before I have it all out. I've already soaked it in BoreTech Copper remover and Carbon Remover but it's the gift that just keeps on giving. LOL.. It's doing another soak right now. When it quits puking green goo I'll oil it up, reassemble it and then get some pictures up.

The rifle has the 1893 style Mauser action and was built in 1936. Built can have a variety of meanings so I'll just leave it at that. It is a large ring action but is machined to fit a small thread barrel. This is interesting and I can see where the confusion is coming from now.

The bolt is a two lug controlled feed just like all the Mauser bolts that I have seen but this one does not have the detent button on the shroud and it just unscrews. The firing pin is removed in the same manner as the others. The 29" barrel has a 1-12 twist and should stabilize heavy bullets very well whereas a shorter (24" or less) barrel might not.

Once I get the bore and chamber cleaned up I'll take a look at it with the bore scope and if it looks good, I'll order a set of CIP go/no-go gauges from PTG. If it's within spec's I'll shoot it. If not, I'll hang it.

The rifle has the 1893 style Mauser action and was built in 1936. Built can have a variety of meanings so I'll just leave it at that. It is a large ring action but is machined to fit a small thread barrel. This is interesting and I can see where the confusion is coming from now.

If the rifle was built in 1936 it can not be a Model 1938. the rifle should have a notch in the rear of the front receiver ring. If it is a 1893 it should have a high hump on the rear receiver ring. The serial number should be across the rear receiver ring.

And then there is the bolt; it is not the long 98 type bolt and the bolt knob is not round. I furnished a link to a Turkish Mauser site that made it easy for a newbie to understand, the sight has pictures and multiple links to different Turkish Mausers and firing test results with Romanian and Turkish ammo.

I do not expect you to thank me, there is an outside chance someone out there that appreciates the effort required to respond.

F. Guffey

This is interesting and I can see where the confusion is coming from now

The Turkish Mauser has a small shank on the barrel. There are exceptions, again I have an ATF Mauser. I believe this is the third time you were told. And then there is a down side to the large ring/large shank Mauser, before we can talk about that I believe my computer will need more ink.

I have not seen an 1893 that could be described as "large ring."
Can you show pictures of receiver and bolt?

As you know the 1893/Turk 33 uses the same bolt as the Mexican Mauser, Siamese Mauser and the Yugoslavian 44 but the Model 1893 did not come with that bolt in 1893.

As you know he was furnished with pictures, all he had to do was pick them from a 'line-up'.

F. Guffey

If the rifle was built in 1936 it can not be a Model 1938.

The site you linked says that although they are CALLED Model of 1938, they actually started doing 8mm conversions in 1933.

I'd still like to see pictures of HIS rifle, a peeve of mine is Justlikes, as in "I've got a gun just like the picture over there." Because it often isn't just like the next one down the pike.

The site you linked says that although they are CALLED Model of 1938, they actually started doing 8mm conversions in 1933.

Jim Watson, I understand the risk I take when trying to contribute. The 8mm57 conversions started in 1933. There were two models, one was the 33 and the other model was the 38. When it comes to swapping parts I have never been able to go back and forth from one to the other, I guess there is something out there I have never seen. The one place I have not seen a mistake in is in the Turkish Mauser link.

I do have a lot of trouble motivating reloaders to open links, not easy to understand, their hands are out and on the key board, it is not like I am asking them to work-up a sweat.

F. Guffey

Last edited:
From that site:

"Model 1938
The Turkish Republic updated their old rifles to a common configuration commonly know as the Model of 1938 and all in 8x57 Mauser. While actually starting the conversions in 1933 any rifle converted to this standard is commonly called Model 38. It appears that every rifle they had was converted to 8mm including Gew.88, Gew.98, 1893 and 1903."

and

"The Model of 1938 isn't really a single model, but rather a common set of features. This designation isn't even one that the Turks used, rather it is a designation that U.S. importers have made up."

Back