Tunnel vision? Shaking hands? is this common?

The book, "On Combat - The Psychology and Physiology of Deadly Conflict in War and Peace" by Dave Grossman is a good resource for those who care to look a little further.

Train it or live it and the shakes will go away

If you were to relive this scenario everyday or train for it you would eventually lose the shakes.

My car has been tampered with 3 times in this year alone, so I go out armed to investigate night noises almost daily. My best recommendation to help with the shakes is to get a heavier weapon like a 12 gauge with an 18 inch barrel. It seems to make the BG's shake more than me.

It seems to make the BG's shake more than me.

Talk about perfect timing for that quote! I just got back in the office from one of the worst possible scenario calls: Man in a hospital emergency room with a gun. His wife was a patient in the ER when he found out that she filed for divorce. He went there apparently saying he was going to kill her. I put SRT and negotiators on standby and I and two of my people arrived first. ER staff said that he didn't know we'd been called. We managed to sneak up on him around a corner and my two guys took him down while he stared down the muzzle of my .45. Hmm. Was that the distinct odor of poop? :D Anyhow, this FREAKIN' IDIOT almost got himself shot over a FREAKIN' CIGARETTE LIGHTER that was made to look like a derringer!! :eek: :mad: His legs seemed a bit rubbery too, but we gave 'em a little help walking out to a cage car (after he got cleaned up) :D . Dumb, stupid, idiotic *@#&$ people!!

I've been involved in two situations where I have actually felt that I may have to fire on another human being.

The first time I was working armed security and was in a parking lot directing traffic. I had stopped the line of vehicles to allow a vehicle carrying a guy we had just trespassed from our property to pull out and leave. When the vehicle started to pull out, instead of pulling out and turning into the traffic lane, it kept coming toward me. I started backing up and drawing while yelling STOP! as loudly as I could. I had my sidearm at low ready and had already started to bring it up to gain a sight picture when they started turning away. I lowered my weapon and waited until the vehicle had exited the parking lot before reholstering. I still remember how many gold teeth I could see in the driver's mouth (3). Luckily, there were two local LEO's assisting and I looked around to see them reholstering about the same time I was so there was no need to call.

The second time, we were living in an OK neighborhood that was about 6 blocks from a not-so-OK neighborhood. I was staying up late in preparation for working 3rd shift the next night and had let our dogs out. I thought they had both come back in. I was sitting on the couch watching TV when I heard the front door start to open. I knew both dogs were inside and my wife was in bed, so whoever it was didn't belong. I grabbed my pistol from the top of the entertainment center, faced the door and started shouting at whoever was on the other side of the door (I was on the backside due to the arrangment of the LR) to " Get the F*^& out of my house" . I looked down just in time to see my dog peeking his head around the door looking scared to death. My wife woke up when I started shouting and I told her what was going on.

Both times, I could feel the effects of the adrenaline (pounding heart, sweating, shaking hands). Now, when I shoot IDPA I can still feel the same symptoms, just on a milder scale after each stage. when I haven't shot in a while, it is a little more noticeable.

W

While I've been through three scary episodes, none have ended badly...thank goodness. All three times things were O.K. untill "all clear"...then the shakes set in. I think the false alarms have been good even though its been a good while since the last one. I'll probably experience the worst of it next time...like re-training.
Mark.

Back