Trying to identify my rifle

Barrel

Well, your right that there was no crest on the barrel or much else to see on it, however, I can descripe what the barrel looks like. Pretty much it is tapered to the end with somewhat obvious divisions (like steps). Thanks for your help!

Kennedy

a little more info

I found a couple of things since some more cleaning.

There is a symbol on the stock that might help.

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 65
  • symb.jpg
    symb.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 60
a little more info

I also found that there was some writing on the left side of the receiver and a couple of letters set in the hand guard, a "K" and an "R".

Thanks for all of your help with this!

Kennedy

Attachments

• leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 60
  • KnRhg.jpg
    KnRhg.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 53
The left side of the receiver is rollmarked STEYR, an Austrian armsmaker who made and sold M98 pattern rifles. This narrows down the number of possibilities, because Steyr did not sell as many M98 rifles as DWM or FN. Chambering in 7X57 would possibly indicate a Chilean or Colombian M1912.

The symbol on the stock is an eagle facing left, perched on a cannon. I cannot remember what this symbolizes, but I have seen it before.

Save it

Kennedy,

Although I agree that restoring it is not worth the dollars or it's value as a shooter, there is something to be said.
On one of the pictures some oil is on the stock.
Just see how nice the wood looks under it.
Furthermore it is a family heirloom.
My advice is: Restore it yourself, slowly, getting familiar with it.
Conserve it, hang it on the wall, NOT over the fireplace because it will catch soot and dust, and enjoy it as decoration.
Better not shoot it, there are cheap alternatives to do that.

I think we have nailed it. The stock marking, though very blurred, appears to be the Colombian eagle, and the rectangle below it seems to have the numbers "19?2" which could be 1912. The Steyr Model 1912 carbines had serial numbers prefixed with an "A", and had "C" on all the parts. They originally should have had the Colombian crest on the receiver ring, but that appears to have been removed, either deliberately or by neglect.

For those who have Ball's Fourth Edition, check pages 104-107 and see what you think.

(My Chinese guess wasn't bad, both countries start with "C", and I was only wrong by a continent and 10,000 miles or so. Maybe I should be Secretary of State - at least I know where China and Colombia are!)

Jim

Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I picked up the 4th ed of Ball's book and that has helped a lot! Believe me, The more I oil it and polish it the better it keeps looking (minus the pitting of course) I was really surprised how nice the bolt looked after a little cleaning. Glad I didn't pass it up by how it looked. Im also working on another mauser I think I got nailed down as a czech vz23 (barrel and action) but its missing a alot of parts. Good winter project I guess. The bolt and stock are in tough shape (and probably not vz23 issued parts) but I think it will be fun to put something together.

Back