Trying to identify my rifle

kennedy

Hello,

I am working on identifying a rifle I have. Its in rough condition but Im still interested in finding out what it might be. Attaching pictures.

Attachments

• DSC06920.jpg
    DSC06920.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 369
  • DSC06919.jpg
    DSC06919.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 230
Some more pics

A few more pics.

Attachments

• DSC06916.jpg
    DSC06916.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC06910.jpg
    DSC06910.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC06907.jpg
    DSC06907.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 127
and a few more

some more pics to see

Attachments

• DSC06914.jpg
    DSC06914.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC06911.jpg
    DSC06911.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC06909.jpg
    DSC06909.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 100
some more pictures

and some more

Attachments

• DSC06908.jpg
    DSC06908.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC06926.jpg
    DSC06926.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC06929.jpg
    DSC06929.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 93
Safety is missing

I forgot to mention there was an aftermarket safety that didn't work in the bolt so it is removed.

The only 98 Mausers I have seen in that bad condition have been of Chinese origin and I suspect that is where that rifle came from. The lack of markings (or light markings that wore off) is typical. While some of those Chinese-made 98's are of reasonable quality, others are poorly made of questionable material. If it is Chinese, it is probably in 8mm Mauser (8x57js) caliber.

It is, to be blunt, of little value; I strongly suggest you consider it a wall hanger and not spend any money trying to "restore" it.

Jim

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice. This belonged to my Grandpa and was in his basement for many years and so I am not surprised if its far past restoration (might be why he never did anything to it).

That is a standard configuration M98 short rifle. It is the one-size-fits-all rifle for developing nations in the early 20th Century, being one of the best and most heavily marketed pieces of military hardware ever made. You will find them in 7X57, 7.65X53, 8X57, and converted in the 1950 and 1960 to 7.62X51 NATO. Country of origin is hard to determine without a crest or armory markings. It could be Spanish, Brazilian, Uruguayan, Bolivian, South African, Belgian, you name it. Militarizing nations bought rifles from Czechoslovakia, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Serbia, whoever was offering rifles for sale at the right delivery time and price. Many also procured tooling from Germany, Belgium, or Czechoslovakia and made their own M98 rifles from local steel, so quality can often be somewhat sketchy. And, of course, there were many copies made without the benefit of engineering input from Europe.

Your rifle looks like it needs a good scrubbing, but may actually be in fair condition. Find out the chambering, it can tell you a lot sometimes.

There is an article in American Rifleman recently about Chinese rifles, including Chinese Mausers. The complete lack of markings except for an apparent serial number is odd. European makers generally had plenty of markings, like maker, a national crest, perhaps, and model. That almost looks sterilised of markings. But even the Chinese rifles had some sort of cryptic markings indicating factory of mfr. and somtimes faked Mauser marks. I cannot see any harm in cleaning off the loose rust. It is not like an antique Colt, where removing the brown "patina" will affect value any!

I agree, this is a great little restoration project, mainly because there's very little you can do wrong. Take it out of the stock, and check for markings underneath, you might get lucky and find a proof mark or similar to give us an idea where it's from.

Have to agree with the others that while Mausers in that condition are not rare, give it a good cleaning and check the bore.You dont know it might have a worthwhile barrel on it and thats the whole game.If it looks like it has a sewer pipe on it than hang it on the wall,if it looks decent then get it checked for the chambering and go wild.Hell bead blast it and duracoat and you have a pick-up rifle.

thank for the info

Thanks to all of you for your posts! I do plan to clean it for fun. When I get it apart, and cleaned off, Ill be posting anything I find that would help (markings measurements etc)

Thanks again!

A little more info

Hello all,

I started cleaning it up and found that the bolt release also has a "C" on it. Underneath the barrel is an "M" stamped in. Behind the barrel where the bolt enters before the release is the number 1 stamped in. Under the rear sight there is a C stamped in as well. The magazine plate has a C stamped in and the part that is set in the stock shares the same number A 126. There is an imprint in the stock but I can't make it out. Im going to give it some time to dry and then I will try to see what else I can find. Hope that helps and thanks for the info.

OK some pics

OK, here are some pics

There is a Number 1 in the track for the bolt.

The "C" on the band

The "C" on the bolt release

Attachments

• boltrelease.jpg
    boltrelease.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 51
  • band.jpg
    band.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 1inslide.jpg
    1inslide.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 67
a few more

A few more

There is a "C" in the hand-guard (underneath)

There is a "C" on the magazine floorplate (not sure what else to call it)

There is an "M" and a "C" on the barrel (underneath)

Attachments

• CHandguard.jpg
    CHandguard.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 33
  • magazine.jpg
    magazine.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 31
  • MnC.jpg
    MnC.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 33
still more

and some more...

There is the "M" and the "P" in the stock under the barrel

Here is a set of numbers that were also in the stock under the barrel.

There was a "C" underneath the rear sight.

Attachments

• sightC.jpg
    sightC.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 24
  • numberinstock.jpg
    numberinstock.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 28
  • MPinstock.jpg
    MPinstock.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 27
still a few more

OK, almost done.

At the end of the stock there was what looked like a "U" since it was facing a different direction but it would be a C.

Here is the bottom of the stock which has the serial in it.

This last pic makes me worry a little about the rifle as there is some pitting going on.....

Attachments

• Uendstock.jpg
    Uendstock.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 42
  • trigger.jpg
    trigger.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 36
  • pitting.jpg
    pitting.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 47
There is still something else....

There is something on the stock that is quite large but very faded. I can't make it out yet, but hopefully I can get a better picture of it to share. It would be on around where the disk in the stock is.

Thanks,

Kennedy

Well, the one part you didn't show (assuming because there was nothing to see) was the barrel. Any "reputable" military Mauser from Germany, Belgium, Czech etc would have proof marks on the barrel. The "Chinese Connection" sounds more and more likely, especially looking at the poor condition of the wood-covered parts. Looks like it got seriously wet at some point, and no one bothered to take it out of the wet wood. But even so the metal quality seems low.

Back