trying to find laws about notifying an officer you are carrying

MikeGoob

I have a valid CCW that has reciprocity with the states I'm traveling through but I cannot find out if they have 'required to notify' police laws if I'm stopped on the road.

I will be passing through MO, AL, KY, TN, AR, MS, and LA

anyone know or know where to find it?

www.handgunlaw.us is silent on this issue when I look up the state.

guess I'll answer my own question--I found it in the PDF for each state. I was looking for it in a paragraph but it has it listed in the corner. Thanks!

Ill try not to get pulled over, but its a long road trip with coworkers sharing the drive so we may get pulled over against my control. And its why Id rather not notify this time even though I normally would if I was driving alone. I don't want my coworkers to know I carry, but I will notify if I have to.

Coworker? Is this a company sponsored thing? Be careful of your company guidelines and carrying while representing your company. Its a stretch i know. One company I worked for had some goofy ones that I know caused some folks to part ways because of things that occurred during a company sponsored event far away from the actual workplace.

Mike, if you're asking if you need to notify as a passenger, that is something I am rather curious about myself.

Have not been pulled over yet when someone else is driving, but existing laws do not specify (in Ohio, anyways) if you must notify when a passenger.

Simply a blanket statement of "Must notify officer during law enforcement interaction". But if I am a passenger and we are pulled over, they are not interacting with me, are they? Seems a bit of a grey area.

Some states require notification and some don't. The poor soul being prosecuted back east some where shows how important that this is even though the rogue cop was way out of line.

Here in Idaho, you don't have to notify and our CCW instructor who is a part time cop as well says, don't tell them unless asked to avoid any potential confrontation. That is here in Idaho, but again, you need to know your own state or those you are going through. As a couple folks have stated, don't get pulled over in the first place is the best way to avoid the issue.

It has been a while since I took the class so I am unsure if there is a law that requires telling if I am carrying to an LEO. I know whenever they have run me, and I was not carrying, the first question they asked when they came back is if I was armed. Then mentioned that my CHL showed up when they ran me. I was not carrying so I did not volenteer the info at the time. The cop also asked why in the world I was not carrying when I have a liscense to do so.

TX is must tell if carrying and asked for identification, doesn't matter if your driving or passanger. If they ask for your ID and you are carrying you must present both DL and CHL.

Here in Texas, I know you will not be traveling there but in Tx you do have to notify if driver. Failure could be a 30 day suspension the first time. Doesnt make sense to me but anyhow. As soon as you get ran (drivers info) it will come back like someone previsely said but it is still a good idea. I dont know about all but attitude carries someone alot farther.

Farmboy, are you sure? I thought you were required to notify but there was *no* penalty for not doing so. (doesn't matter to me because Texas doesn't recognize my permit -- so I can have a gun in my car under the "travelling" provisions and have no obligation to notify)

That's what don't make mo sense to me. You suppose to notify for your permit yet anyone else no permit can have concealed handgun and keep quiet You can have a concealed gun unless you are a felon

it's just a good courtesy. LEO's already know that there plenty of folks out there who are carrying. ..

Just as simple as that, can't see why it would be a problem to notify. Having
been a LEO for 32 yrs I know I would appreciate the notification.

Back