Try to Hit the Bad Guys, not the Hostage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't even practice that. Problem being if I get pretty good at it I might at some point try it, still put's the hostage in danger!

To each his own. I would only try a shot like that in real-life if I thought it was the last option before the hostage's immediate death at the hands of the bad guys anyway. I don't think I'd be thinking "Well, I've been pretty successful with this shot at the range; I think I'll give it a try." :D

I've shot these sorts of targets both recreationally and semi-competitively. Usually I do pretty well--"usually" meaning I haven't accumulated THAT many dead hostages.

To further clarify, I do "pretty well" vs. a sheet of paper that remains entirely stationary in between my missed shots, does not attempt to escape, does not return fire and does not put the hostage in any further harm. Oh, and isn't pointing a gun at the hostage that's likely to fire if I do manage to hit the bad guy.

I've long wondered whether real-life "hit the bad guy, not the hostage" shots are best left for Hollywood. Even for an expert marksman with iron nerves, a target like this gives you about an inch worth of tolerance. If the hostage or the bad guy so much as turns his head, a hit becomes a miss, or a miss becomes a hit to the wrong guy.

In a real kidnapping I'd probably just have to fall back on my sword and throwing stars :D

"A man has to know his limitations."
Want to have confidence with this kind of stuff?
Practice - a lot.
A whole lot.
And use miniature targets, half size or smaller from normally expected distances.
Until you know for sure you can't miss.
Otherwise, forgettaboutit.

Going nowhere. If you think you never can do it and want to let your loved one be taken away or killed in front of you, you can sell the script of your grief to Hollywood and appear on Oprah to cry.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back