Trunk/Truck guns

I don't leave any firearms in my vehicles on a regular basis. Since I carry a G26 and my HD gun is a G17 I am considering a Keltec S2K in 9mm with G17 mags for a long gun option especially when travelling. It would be easy to carry in and out of a vehicle in a laptop bag with extra ammo and mags.

What considerations go into selecting a gun that will inhabit your trunk or the area behind your bench seat? Should it be a long gun? Another copy of you main carry gun? What?

For me its got to be light, fast, powerful, hi capacity, and capable of extended distance shooting. It has to be a long gun and for me a rifle and in a rifle caliber. I already carry a handgun so a duplicate offers no advantage to me. A shotgun is great but limited in capacity and range.

I posted a similar thread months ago and have been in the selection process for quite some time now. I am very close to adopting the SU-16 from kel-tec as my truck gun. It is 223 caliber, folds to 26inches, uses ar-15 mags (my main fighting rifle), very light weight, high capacity, and has a built in bipod. I'm soon going to be testing accuracy to see if it is long range capable. If it is decently accurate and assuming its reliable it will win me over.

Drop a Burris fast fire red dot mini site on top and shes ready for zombies.

Long Gun:
Used Rem 870 Police (Wingmaster) 12 ga, 18" cylinder bbl that had been neglected and brought back to life by me. Added Choate +2 mag ext, Choate corncob fore end with picatinny rail for a light, Knoxx folding Cop Stock, and sling. Have satchel with a buncha slugs and 000 buck, all 2 3/4". It all gets stuffed into one of those carbine bags when folded. Shoots nice with the Cop Stock.

rem870_right_01.jpg

I have patterned the Rem Express 000 buck out to 15 yards to my satisfaction and the slugs are Winchester foster slugs that hit minute of pie plate out to 100 yards with the bead sight.

It is a shotgun. It was cheap. It can do most anything. Probably ought to add some bird shot on GP.

Hand Gun:
Most common is a snubby revo Taurus 651 titanium job in .357mag, which is my main backup handgun. Usually backs up my GM-sized 1911, but comes along and stays in the car when I go places where guns are prohibited.

Back