Trump Shot on Campaign.

We can be sure of one thing.

That picture of Trump with blood running down his face and the American flag in the background--shaking his fist and yelling "FIGHT" will be seen millions of times in the next few months.

That's for sure.

- July 13th, 2024 -

I want to thank The United States Secret Service, and all of Law Enforcement, for their rapid response on the shooting that just took place in Butler, Pennsylvania.

Most importantly, I want to extend my condolences to the family of the person at the Rally who was killed, and also to the family of another person that was badly injured.

It is incredible that such an act can take place in our Country. Nothing is known at this time about the shooter, who is now dead.

I was shot with a bullet that pierced the upper part of my right ear.

I knew immediately that something was wrong in that I heard a whizzing sound, shots, and immediately felt the bullet ripping through the skin.

Much bleeding took place, so I realized then what was happening.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

-----Donald J. Trump

45th President of the United States

CBS news has reported "law enforcement sources" have told them the shooter was 200-300 feet away on top of a raised structure, and had an AR 15 style rifle.

I would caution those posting about two things, first, it is too soon to accept unverified reports as hard fact, and second, this is the Law and Civil Rights forum, and comments should be focused on that aspect. Political posturing, attacks on individuals or political parties, etc., are off topic and will acted on as appropriate to the L&CR forum rules.

Please review the special rules of this subforum before posting.

Based on the position of the body in the airborne footage, the shooter, 20 yr old Thomas Matthew Crooks of Bethel Park, PA, was on the southernmost of the AGR buildings at the roofline to the south of the eastern connector visible between the two buildings. His rifle was visible to his left but the video was insufficient to identify it. It was black and had a magazine and/or a pistol grip. That's all the quality of the video would let me determine.

The airborne footage shows a ladder placed against the connector.

Trump was on the Butler County Farm Show grounds to the west of the middle of the three barns.

The shot was about 150 yards based on Google Maps measurement.

Footage shows Secret Service countersnipers on the roof of one of the three barns behind Trump, already looking in the direction of the shooter before the first shot was fired.

156 yards from the map I saw. Only the twitch of Trumps head saved his life. The reactions and actions of people with power tonight, tomorrow and Monday will be very telling. This begins the wild ride into November 5th, buckle up and hang on!

ABC reports that the late Mr Crook's rifle was purchased legally by his father.
No details but I think we can make a preliminary assumption that

It was black and had a magazine and/or a pistol grip.

equals AR pattern, "the most popular rifle in America."

THR shows calculations that the day was windy enough to move a 5.56 econoball (nearly) off a head size target.

ABC reports that the late Mr Crook's rifle was purchased legally by his father.
No details but I think we can make a preliminary assumption that

equals AR pattern, "the most popular rifle in America."

THR shows calculations that the day was windy enough to move a 5.56 econoball (nearly) off a head size target.
I have read where he fired a 22. I doubt that. The 5.56 makes more sense.

Agreed--there was a photo of the bullet track going by Trump's head and it was way too flat to be that of a 22lr IMO--even at 100 to 150 yards a typical 22lr would have a more parabolic trajectory. Might have had a suppressor/silencer of some sort to reduce report.

Or Trump simply moved his head at the right time.

MAJOR Failure

Heads rightfully should roll at the Secret Service. How this lone shooter set up on a rooftop approx. 150 yards away from a leading presidential candidate and got off several rounds is both unthinkable and unbelievable. Just look at all the manpower they use not to mention the camera and drone surveillance. And a leading candidate comes within an inch of losing his life plus bystanders are both killed and wounded.
It is past time for a major shakeup.

Seems to me that the KEY flaw in the protection was that the shooter was able to get up on a pitched roof and by lying down (concealed by the higher part of the roof) was below the line of sight of a lot of people--including the Secret Service Snipers.

I can't believe the snipers could see him.

Unless they are not allowed to shoot a person with a rifle on a rooftop in this setting?

I'm guessing they couldn't see him until he crawled up to the top of the roof to shoot.

Anyhow, it's clear that mistakes were made in establishing visual coverage.

Last edited:
Screwed the Pooch!

A gift for understatement. The secret service screwed the pooch this time.
I for one would love to hear an explanation, incompetent leadership? I think those are the correct words to describe how this could happen.
I do applaud DJT for thinking on his feet, we will be seeing a lot of his bloodied face and raised fist in the final runup to Nov. Bravo on that one.

The 5.56mm is a .22.

There are over a dozen current .22 caliber cartridges, some are rimfire, more are not, several of them can be put in AR style rifles.

Don't know where you read it, but why would you assume the author meant a .22 rimfire (Or even knew the difference??)

The shooter was detected before he took his shots. People at the rally saw him and notified LE. An officer confronted the man on the roof but was forced to retreat when threatened with the rifle. The shooter then immediately started firing.

Secret Service countersnipers can be seen in some footage on the roof of one of the barns behind Trump. They were clearly already looking in the direction of the shooter when the first shot was fired, indicating that they had been notified of the threat.

It's likely that had the shooter not been detected and confronted, he would have had more time to set up and get ready for the shot. It seems very likely that the folks who saw him on the roof and notified LE and the officer who responded and confronted the shooter saved Trump's life by making the shooter compress his timeline and begin shooting immediately after having been confronted.

Back