True home built Rifles. No gunsmiths

Question for you... What improvements have you noticed with the cock on close conversion? How are your primer strikes? Got any pics of fired rounds I can see?

what ??? you guys don't buy your reamers :eek:

I guess I've amassed a pretty good collection of reamers... about 1/2 of which, my builder buddy has wanted, in trade for labor, & half I have in a reamer drawer... just put my latest... ( 6.8 SPC ) in the drawer last night :) I'm thinking about a reamer & set of dies for 22 K Hornet to try to settle down the Hornet I use for targets

I'm hoping the day my buddy dies ( well... that since I'm younger, that I outlive him ) that I have enough spendable money to get some of those reamers back, the barrel vice that's mounted on the wall, & a few of the more basic tools, as well as a couple of his hand built guns, not that I "need" more guns, but so I have a couple of his built from scratch rifles to remember him by...

Finally Getting the depth!

b3f1042116f09e9a21601a8b2ef0603e.jpg

Well at least you answered my question. Without the access to tools like you have at your disposal, a home built Mauser is probably not going to happen anytime soon. Even my last couple of Savage builds I took to a gunsmith just to get them finished as my new job was getting in the way.

Question for you... What improvements have you noticed with the cock on close conversion? How are your primer strikes? Got any pics of fired rounds I can see?

Actually both rifles have the Dayton Traister speed lock kits without triggers, which converts them to "cock on open". Improvements is that the rifles now have the same feel as my commercial rifles, and that's about it. I also used Wolff 26lb firing pin springs instead of the lighter weight 22lb springs in the DT kit. So short answer is I'm getting solid primer strikes out of both rifles, but I don't have any pictures of fired ammunition to show you.

The M96 sporter was done by Kimber of Oregon before they went out of business. It was in a Ramline stock, I never could get it to shoot better than about 4-5" with my hand loads. I bedded the rifle and it was shooting about 2-3" after that. So I took it to a gunsmith to diagnose. He said after running the scope down it my throat is shot and there was no point in continuing until I replace the barrel.

I'll probably send it off to McGowen for a new barrel this summer sometime. However, life might get in the way again as I'm trying to sell one house to buy another with some acreage so I can set up my own shooting range. If things go as planned these projects will probably go on the back burner again for another year like they did when I took a new job.

I added a Dayton cock on open kit to this gun, about 6 months ago, ( seems to dent the primers just fine ) when we took the original, worn "cut" barrel off, as it wouldn't group tight enough for me, & replaced it with a new stainless take off 7 mag barrel, & trimmed the chamber off, & re threaded it for this gun... chambered back in 7 X 57

thread on original "custom" gun, as purchased...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281541

looks just like this, but with a coarse bead blasted stainless barrel now...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I meant cock on "open".... There is a new 96/38 barrel (brand new) on GB for $115 right now!

Nice sporter! Glad to see more pics!

I've rebarrelled/restocked a couple of 03A3's and "assembled" 3-4 Mausers from boxes of parts(no two parts attached except the aftermarket triggers). All came out to my satisfaction but none would be called "pretty".

I've made a few. In the early 80s I bought "6" model 70 actions off a guy for a total price of $235. Made some good rifles off these actions. I do have two lathes and a milling machine, bluing tanks and other assorted tools so I had an advantage.

This is the 1000 yard target rifle that served me well over the years, Its a 300 WM (single shot). Still shoots well today.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

This is a Rem 700 action I got in a trade, made a hunting rifle in 308 for my Grandson.

Guns%20003.JPG

While deployed my wife broke her back, has three rods between her shoulder blades so she can't handle the recoil. Took my last Model 70 Action and made her this Model 70 in 243. She had no problem with the recoil of this rifle. Got the stock brand new from a guy who bought a rifle and had a synthetic stock added.

Karenqus%20goat1.JPG

And of course there is my M1903A4 parts gun I built for the CMP Vintage Sniper Matches. All GI parts I fitted, except the stock which is from the CMP.
Since I took the picture I replaced the Weaver K2.5 with a M-82 repo from the CMP.

DSCN0110.JPG

I have several others but no pictures. I do do my own barrel and machine work. I still have a couple rifles in parts waiting to be put together.

Cant beat the satisfaction you get from putting together your own rifle. Especially if it turns out to be an highly accurate target rifle. Or better yet a gun for family members.

How long did it take you to get the stock? I've had a bad experience with them and I've heard of others with similar problems with Richards.

Tony

It took 5 days. This stock was a close out clearance item on there site. It was ordered and not paid for. It had a stepped barrel channel which I had to relieve a lot! Action was not plum with forearm. It took lots of work to get it fitted correctly... Only order from there existing in stock list!

Back