Truck pistol Suggestions

Take your pick of a Police trade in.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/categories.php?cat=910&page=1

Lock it up for some extra security.

bf03df099995ee089120957f48060438.jpg

A few months ago multiple places were selling Ruger SR9C's for $200 to $250. I missed out as that would've made the perfect truck gun.

I picked up a used S&W SD9VE for $250 for a truck gun.
Added a $50 Apex trigger to it.

Works great for it's purposed.

attachment.php

SD9VE - 2.jpg

My truck gun, kept in a lockbox cabled to the seat frame, is a Taurus .357 Protector Poly stainless kept loaded with .357 125 grain JHP. Relatively lightweight, corrosion resistant, a decent caliber, point and click interface, no mag spring fatigue (if you believe in that), and relatively inexpensive (so I won't cry too hard if the truck is prowled and the lockbox cut away).

I suggest a value-priced .40 or a police trade-in if you can find one.

Bersa Thunder Pro
Ruger SR40
Smith & Wesson SD40VE
Taurus G2

Something along those lines.

Last fall I picked up a Smith & Wesson SW40VE for $199 LNIB and have been carrying it ever since. It's basically the last-gen version of the current SD40VE.

attachment.php

Attachments

• EDC_Duo.jpg
    EDC_Duo.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 5,336
In would just add to place your pistol in a silicone sock or similar while you're offshore - that should help a little with the rust

Look at the Kahr CW series. I have a CW40 and a CW45 that I traded a .357Mag carbine for. Not huge, not tiny, decent calibers with poly frames and stainless slides. $350ish. I have seen them at gun shows in the $250 range. 9mm, .40SW and .45ACP.

You could wrap whatever gun you decide on in an oiled rag then seal it in a zip lock bad with the air squeezed out. That should keep it from rusting...

Tony

I truly do not understand why people are over complicating this.
Zip it in a 50 cent VCI bag, or throw a 10 cent sheet of VCI paper in your lockbox.

VCI.jpg

"any input"

OP states "any input" so here goes.

I would not advise leaving a firearm in a vehicle, certainly not in a center console, and not for an extended period of time. Guns are stolen from vehicles all the time, razor wire or not......stuff happens. If your gun is stolen, there is a good chance it will end up used in a crime. I'd respectfully suggest that your concern for "anything happens" extends to the possible victims of such crimes and not just the financial loss to yourself. You need a better plan.

The advice on a proper vehicle gun vault or locker is sound.

Another might be to get dropped off by another party, who will meet you upon your return with your firearm, and secure your gun properly in the meantime.

Another, less desirable, would be to disable your firearm before leaving . By that I mean, field stripping and taking the barrel, slide, cylinder and yoke, or other critical components with you (if possible). If a theft occurs, the remnants cannot be readily used in a crime. I have no idea what the policy would be of your employer regards component pieces onboard.

1. Used/LEO trade-in gun of quality manufacture and service caliber. Semi, revolver, doesn't really matter. Just a quality used gun that is not expensive.

2. Clean it and oil up the internals with a heavier oil, say Mobil-1 motor oil, and used compressed air to blow most of that out of the internals.

3. Wipe down the external bits with light solvent and then use Renaissance Wax on the external bits that might rust.

4. Load it and seal it up with VCI bag or paper.

5. Secure it in your vehicle.

================

I know the land through which you travel and heartily agree with your decision to carry.

Back