Truck pistol Suggestions

Gulfcowboy

Hello I'm looking for some suggestions on what pistol I could carry in my truck and leave for a long time that is rust resistant. Let me give you little back story. I am a merchant mariner and I live in Houston and drive to South Louisiana for work. I park my vehicle in a parking lot that is gated with razor wire. I go through some pretty rough parts of South Louisiana and East Texas, so I carry a pistol on me. While I am offshore for 28 days the pistol sits in my truck. I was using a Smith and Wesson shield but I noticed some light rust forming around the lettering on the slide. I went to a Smith and Wesson 638 airweight. I love that gun but I was looking for something with a little more firepower. Something I can put in the center console for long periods of time without damaging the finish on it. Also maybe something abit cheaper, so if something happens to it I won't be out a lot of money. Thanks for any input given

If you don't care about the ugly factor . . .

If you don't care about the Ugly factor you might try a Hi-point. I've read testimony by guys who let these guns kick around in a truck or a jeep for years with very little care and they still go bang when needed. And actually, they aren't all that ugly.

I've owned two in 9mm. One had to go back for repair. Ran fine after that for thousands of rounds. The other I got as a freebee when I joined a range so I didn't shoot it much before I sold it off.

If you shop around you can get them as low as $150.00.

Life is good.
Prof Young

I have a Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Carry Pro (also the 9mm version). The gun has proved to be a great gun in the 8ish years I have had it. Not problem over a couple thousand rounds. $300.00 ish new back then.

I do not carry it because I am left handed and the trigger mechanism has an external "alide bar" that moves when the trigger is pulled and my support hand thumb rubs it. All metal and ambidextrous except for that slide bar..................dang it. Very good shooter. 7+1 mag. I have 4.

I keep it in my truck.

The 9mm stays in my car.

I am the type who likes to find a use for all of my handguns rather than them just being safe queens so in the vehicles they went.

I used to keep the 45 in my work shed and it did show some rust on the hammer one time but I cleaned it off and oiled it well and have not had a recurrence.

Good luck!....OH! I live just a mile from salt water access and have a salt swamp (scenic salt marsh if I sell the place) a hundred yards from my back door. Salt water = high rust potential.

Last edited:
so I carry a pistol on me
If you don't care about the Ugly factor you might try a Hi-point.
My first thought was also a Hi-Point, but then I recalled him saying he also carries the gun on him. The Hi-Point is a bit problematic in that sense.
First off, for protection against loss, protection against a stolen gun hitting the streets, and some increase d protection against rust get a car safe. Something like the Hornady TriPoint. Very secure, attaches wit a strong cable to a seat frame or other solid attachment point in your truck, and is key locked making it reasonably priced. Then you can use a rust preventor like Rig in the bore, wrap the gun in a cloth saturated with it, and lock it all away. When you return after your journey have a cloth to wipe it down, and a pistol rod, and a couple patches to wipe out the bore and your ready to carry. You could probably store whatever you decide on like that for a year without damage.

Glocks are among the most rust resistant and used ones are in the $300-$350 range. If you like it keep using the Shield, a little surface rust won't hurt anything on that gun. It's not like an expensive Python. You might try to wipe it down before leaving with a rust preventative to reduce the chances.

Glock or a Ruger 9mm. Neither will be family heirlooms and if they get a little wear, so be it.

Not too expensive that you'll worry about wear or a bit of rust yet reliable.

i would continue to use either the s&w shield or 638, as long as you are practiced with them. either will serve you fine just driving through a rough area. give them a light rub of oil and keep them in an old cotton sock before going out to sea. i also suggest a lock box under your front seat that is cable locked to the seat frame when you are away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could buy another gun or buy a silicone impregnated gun or reel cloth and give the gun a good wipe down before you store it in a silicone imprenated gun sock while you are gone.

How about something like hard chrome or a similar rust resistant coating for the Shield you already have?

What about a Tupperware container with some desiccant inside?
There are some flat Tupperware boxes that might be about the right size.
Desiccant is a whole topic but silicon satchels are easy.
Instead of finding something that can withstand salt and humidity for a month, store your pistol in a sealed container.

Another traditional approach is wrapping in a lightly oiled cloth.

Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Carry Pro (also the 9mm version).
This is a darned good choice...a friend gave me a .40 cal. version a year ago after I'd gifted a Smith M637 with Crimson Trace grips to his daughter along with some instruction.

While I'm a BHP, Sig and 1911 guy, that Bersa has a superb trigger, outstanding sights and will easily hold under 3" at 25 yds from a rest. It's as well built as any of my Sigs too. I really like it. I'll try to get a pic posted later today...but it's definitely a great choice and for the money, you can't do better.

Here's the Bersa...note the sights...that big orange dot really shows up well. My friend had these tritium night sights installed...a very useful upgrade!

Best Regards, Rod

Last edited:
My choice would be a SCCY cpx-2. I bought one a while back and it was on sale and after rebate, it was under $150. It is a 10 round 9MM that weighs 15 ounces. I have shot it a couple of hundred rounds and it has not malfunctioned at all. It is a double action hammer fired pistol.

Depending on your truck there are some gun vaults you can mount under the seat that would be more secure for increased security. You can add a plastic bag with desicant pack to cut down on your guns exposure to moisture when stored away in your truck. A stainless GP100 in 357 would be a pretty respectable rust resistant truck gun with plenty of power. A 6 inch model will get you a little more accuracy for longer ranges if you don't plan to carry it on your person.

Just use a VCI bag and you can keep carry whatever you want.
They are cheap enough you can buy a box of them.
Even VCI paper will work just fine.

Ruger SR9 or SR9c with stainless slide.

Taurus PT92 stainless. It's a bit on the heavy side tho.

Bersa Thunder Plus .380. Much lighter than the Taurus, but it is .380, however you get 15 rounds of .380. Online these are going for under 275.

I would go with a SS GP100 4”. Polish the internals, lighter springs, and a shim kit and you have a beautiful relatively care free .357. I have a blued version and love it. But, I do have a marvelous S&W model 67 and that’s what I use, even though it’s ‘only’ a .38.

Maybe an old Ruger P series?

Even if it did rust up to where it wouldn't function - just toss it to the bad guy & watch him get a hernia when he tried to catch it :D :D .

Seriously though - years ago when Ruger was dropping them, I should have followed my gut and picked up a few on close out.

Depending on your truck there are some gun vaults you can mount under the seat that would be more secure for increased security. You can add a plastic bag with desicant pack to cut down on your guns exposure to moisture when stored away in your truck.
Darned good advice...Rod

Back