Truck guns....

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Just to kick this around, what, if any shotguns do you keep in your conveyance? Right now,since I'm a Burbie rather than a farm kid, none. But in the past there were several. Some criteria presented for discussion and consideration....

Cost.
Replacebility.
Effectiveness.
Survival potential,whether in a wilderness situation or a wild situation while driving.

Some of the ones Ive used include a 16 ga single bbl H&R, a Savage Model 24 22/20ga combo, and a variety of pumps, especially an 870 or two.

Best of the lot was the Savage, since it had that 22 LR potential, and a peep sight that by happy chance, put Brenneke slugs close to POA for the 22 at 40 yards. Kept it in a GI sleeve in a pawn shop sax case with ammo, including Brennekes and #3 buck.Oh,yeah, sling and cleaning supplies fit right in.

There were downsides to the idea, tho. Theft was a possibility, and many cops take a dim view of folks with guns in their vehicles, even where legal. Taking the truck to the seaside can rust a shotgun out quickly, which is what happened to that 16 ga, tho I was not the perp. A relative who KNEW BETTER did. Said relative doesn't play with my guns anymore.

Many advantages to a truck gun, of course, Protection is an obvious one, so is being able to end the misery of road casualties, the deer, chucks, armadillos, possums,etc, that are killed by cars,but not immediately.

Casual hunting at targets of opportunity, NOT road hunting, is another bennie. Drove past a farm where I hunted, and saw a mess of deer bedded 20 yards off the road.It was gun season, I'd permission, etc. Stopped down the road, loaded up, moved carefully into position, and took a breeder out of the gene pool with a well placed Winchester slug. We've about 40 herd permits for this farm.

Questions, comments, donations?

I've been kicking this around for a while too. I've used some surplus military bolt guns in this role in the past but I sorta prefer a shotgun for general use too.

What I was toying with was one of the Chi-Com knockoffs of the Ithaca 37. They make a decent looking setup with a synthetic stock, rifle sights, 20" barrel that's going for under $150. Same thoughts as you in regards to cost and replacibility etc.

That ChiCom knockoff might be a good shotgun, General, but....

China is still the largest dictatorship in the world,has an abyssmal human rights record,and the slaves that made that shotgun sureasheck wouldn't be allowed to have it in China.

I see no reason to support the slavery and %^&* going on there by buying ChiCom products.

I have an SKS as a trunk gun mainly because it's cheap and can afford to get beat up. I've considered a shotgun but was dissuaded due to it's lack of penetration of sheet metal in a defensive scenario. The 7.62x39 cartridge will easily defeat car doors and windows and dispatch most roadside critters, I feel it's a good choice.

Instead of a cheap chi com shotgun for a truck gun consider a Maverick 88. They're made by Mossberg and are very inexpensive, reliable guns. My brother in law recently gave me one that he bought new for under $150 at an online auction. We put over 300 rounds through it without any malfunction as of yet.

Mavericks - if you're looking at one, spend the extra $20-30 and get a mossberg 500 from Wal-Mart. Either a 'standard' one or the persuader with 7+1 capacity. Both have dual slide bars, which the Mav. doesn't.

But for all around truck/trunk guns, I'd have to go with an Enfield (if I were right handed) or an SKS. Neither will cost more than a buck and a half, and have greater range and penetration than any shotgun ammo.

I know it's possible to make 300 yard shots with a slug, but it's hard to do with out extensive practice. With a military rifle, you just slide the rear sight up and aim normally....

This is a tougher question than you might think. At first you might pick the cheapest gun you own because of the environment it will live in. OTOH, this is the gun that may be called upon to do serious work.

Remington 870, 18". I have faith in these guns and have confidence in my ability to handle them under pressure.

I had a Winchester Defender for a while then a Remington 870 Express. The 870 was a good gun. I sold it last month to a buddy that moved out to the hills.

I don't know where you guys live (Bosnia?) but I carry a NEA single shot 12 gauge behind the seat. It is not really for defense, the Glock on my hip does that. If someone is 300 yards away, I'll get in my truck and drive off instead of fighting. yeesh

An SKS would be a good truck gun also for WIHTF, but we're talking(or at least I was) about a GP tool for the truck, not an E&E, start the revolution, I'm ready firearm.

Here and now,IMO, I'm more likely to have to replace a stolen single barrel shotgun than to have great and immediate need for a semi auto, centerfire rifle in my vehicle.

And a SKS is a good firearm, but it lacks the versatility of a shotgun.OTOH, folks living in western areas much more open than here in Md might have more use for a rifle.

dave...just got a rem 870 police turn in from my dealer...great condition, rem 870 wingmaster...spent about $200....get our dealer to check his cataloques/companies...try sog (not sure of the real name, but ffl required)

------------------
speak now, or forever hold your peace

I understand your objection to the ChiCom guns Dave and can respect your position but, without trying to turn this into a big political debate, disagree. Not on principle (I'm not overly fond of the Chinese gov't either. As an American srviceman I may well be facing them someday) but I think that free trade and access to non-governmental information and news through the Net etc is what's going to bring the communist regime down not an economic boycott. I agree with your sentiments about the regime but disagree on how to tackle the issue.

Besides, ever shop at Walmart? Take a look where most of the stuff is made sometimes. Clothes, shoes, appliances, tools, electronics etc. It's pretty hard to avoid Chicom products these days as they are one of our biggest trade partners (like it or not). Rip your computer open, I bet money that some of the guts are of Chinese origin.

Main reason I like the 37 knockoffs is features for the price. I wish someone else made a comperable product for the price but they don't. The only ones I see close are the Russian guns :)

With all that said, I haven't actually bought one of any of the Chicom stuff yet anyway, I just like the package they offer :)

As to the Mavericks, I don't care for them. I agree with Benjamin, spend the extra $20-$30 on a Mossberg at that point. My buddy has 2 Mavericks and we've had failures to go in to battery with both of them. I'm a big pump shotgun shooter and have never had problems with any gun before but on both Mavericks unless you cycled the action very vigourisly they wouldn't fire and you had to re-cycle them dumping the live round in the chamber. Maybe it was a fluke, these are the only two Mavericks I've used, but I've never had that happen with Mossbergs, Winchesters, Ithacas or Remingtons.

Another option is to poke around at the gun shows or shops for some of the older used "generic" pumps like the Sears Roebuck guns, the old Savages etc. I see these from time to time for $150 and less. Only thing I don't like about them is that typically they're 28" tubes and bead sights. I'd prefer a shorter barrel and rifle sights for general purpose use.

Shotguns are versatile. The 870 is my pick, but I've always noticed that ranchers here in the west rarely keep a scattergun in the truck/on the saddle. Generally thier "truck gun" is a lever action 30-30. This is partly due to seeing the oppurtunistic deer or predator on the ranch where longer shot might be needed. (say 150 yards)

many of the so called "beater" guns are old mil surplus rifles of some sort that get thrown in a canvas bag behind the seat in addition to the primary hunting rifle. Use what you can afford and what you like. The sks seems a bit less robust than a polish m-44 or enfeild to me, but its really a question of choice.

My "back up rifle/truck gun" is an 870 with rifle sights.

Here in NY truck guns will get you into more trouble then they are worth. Keep them out of sight and don't tell anyone!

When I was a kid I used to carry an H & R topper in 410 in the trunk of my 59 chevvy. ( Remember the wings!) Used to poach rabbits with it with my college buddies. In my generation that was what we considered a drive by shooting! Had a buddy who used to grill the rabbit and make sandwiches, went great with a quart of the local swill.

Used to go to junior college with my .22 in the trunk, I was on the smallbore team and no one thought it was a problem. During legitimate hunting season I carried my 870 too. Never had a problem with the cops. People thought those of us who went hunting as normal upstanding citizens.

Now I am licensed up the yazoo, the cops can take the license away if I am a bad boy or have mental problems (I won't go anywhere near a shrink!)

Oh well!

Geoff Ross

------------------
I am no expert but I DO have an opinion.

I like shotguns. I consider them the most versatile firearm. I plan on writing an article about a project shotgun George Stringer is massaging for me, in the next few months.

The only thing is, a gun like the one I'll have will NOT be one I'd like to lose.

I picked up a used, good condition bolt-action Mossberg for 75 bucks or so about two years ago. It did have a 32" barrel, I think, but I figure one can always cut it back to 20", and solder on a bead. 80 bucks and a few minutes of time, if money was tight.

Wally World usually has H&R shotguns for 80$ or so. I hunted with a Topper, Jr 20 gauge for years. Swung fast, kicked like a mule.

General, let's just agree to disagree abou that trade policy. You're such a reasonable fellow otherwise(G).

A bolt action Mossberg is a good truck gun. The 9 pointer rack over the mantel was taken with same. Excellent slug gun. One used to see used ones in all the gun shops, cheap, but since the slug revolution they've been scarce. Many now wear good optics and E R Shaw bbls.

In answering the "car gun" (ok, no truck) question for New York state, which has some rather obnoxious restricted zones (at least as affects my lifestyle), I studied the relevant laws and came up with this mind-numbing analysis. Conclusion is that slug guns (shotguns originally manufactured with rifled barrels) are completely unregulated in NY (only catch is it must be unloaded when in a vehicle, and you cannot carry slug ammo while afield during deer season without a permit).

My plan is to buy a Mossberg 500 with a rifled bore, replace the barrel with an 18.5" rifled barrel with iron or ghost-ring sights, add an ammo-holding sling, and replace the fixed stock with a folding stock. The result is a compact and very functional gun which NY law does not take legal notice of, even in NY City.

Ctdonath...carefull in NYC. City residents are required to have permits to own any firearm, long or short. They do allow non city residents to pass through with the gun if it is unloaded and locked up. You can apparently remain in the city for 24 hours??? with the gun. Don't even think of hanging it in your back window.

The city is full of just plain nasty folk who will use any excuse to cause trouble for someone else if given a chance. A call to the PD stating "Man with a gun" will definitely not make for a pleasant day.

Most street cops are not familiar with the laws and if they see a gun you will spend some time in the precinct unless you can show a permit for the gun.

The only criminal I know of who spent his entire sentence in Rikers Island was Bernie Goetz , they even kept him an extra week for sassing the guards. Most murderers, rapist , violent felons and their ilk only spend a fraction of their time in the hoosegow.

Geoff Ross

------------------
I am no expert but I DO have an opinion.

Back