Truck Gun, Trunk Gun questions???

Hows about a lever gun. I'm thinking I'll eventually get a dedicated truck gun. It will certainly be a beater. My thoughts are a good 12 guage pump ( Rem 870 or Mossy 500) under $110, Marlin in some caliber in 30-30/35Rem/357Mag/44Mag, or an SKS. I believe the first to will be the best choice given the fact that if I get pulled over by the police my truck gun won't be quite as threatening and I can easily pass it off as a hunting weapon.

but an AK is expensive in the caliber I believe. Certainly the Ruger Mini 14 is pricey too.

AK's can be had around $350 and Mini's in the $400-500 range. Used sometimes slightly lower. This may be considered expensive, depending on the budget. It is actually quite reasonable for what you are getting.

If it doesn't have to be a semi-auto, there are many bolt and lever action guns well under $200 (especially since you specify "used").

There are a couple of good, inexpensive options for truck guns out there...

SKS
Mosin Nagant 38/44
used Marlin lever gun of some type
police trade in 12 pump gun
NEF single shot shotgun or handi-rifle in .223 or .308

I am leaning toward the break open NEF shotgun for my vehicle gun for a few reasons:
1-cheap, usually $50 or so at a pawn shop
2-simple
3-non-threatening appearance
4-even if someone were to break into my car, it's not a valuable ubertacticool rifle. It may get completely passed by because fo the plain jane appearance
5- stone axe reliable with all loads, and with a little practice, can be used effectively with slugs

Yes, it is a single shot, but with practice, you can use it pretty effectively and get hits every 5 seconds or so. Whatever pistol I have with me can be used in conjunction with this to get me the heck outta the area.

W

+1

NEF Pardner, 12ga, cut to 20in., mine is in the trunk. I have shot it for some years now and not a bit of trouble. Stay safe.

I bought a Maverick 12ga w/ 18in barrel new in about 1993. I now have a better HD shotgun, so this one rides in the trunk 24/7. That said, the vehicle is garage kept, and is locked in an access-controlled parking lot while at work. The gun isn't worth more than $50 on the market anyway, so I might as well tote it around. My daily carry is a G19, with one extra hi-cap mag and one G18 33 round mag (with a Glock +2 extension) in the vehicle.

Although I've carried each kind, I've come to favor a rifle cartridge over a shotgun or pistol carbine round for a truck gun. If another vehicle is involved, shooting through cover is a distinct possibility. A rifle round will accomplish this easier and can place a precision shot if needed easier than the shotgun. An exception to the pistol carbines are of course the .41/.44 mags.

MARLIN 60 .22
Mauser TURK 8mm
SKS 7.62x39

all three in the truck.

During hunting season
I always have at least one shotgun in case i get off early and feel like taking some doves.

Most times, my Glock 32 rides in the console/glovebox of my pickup. Once in a while, my SKS or 30-30 come along too.

As a plumber, I ran into an incidend where I wish I had my carry gun with me. I was lucky to get out unharmed. Now I keep a gun in my truck at all times and it's usually my S&W model 36 snubby revolver, 5 rounds of Fed personal defense ammo and two speed-loaders right next to it.

Sorry, Guys...

My conceal carry permit is a license to secure myself, NOT my car! My 1911 is for me, NOT for my car, trunk or cab.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, when my 1911 leaves my hip or my hand, it is unloaded. Every single time. The gun is for me. It exists to secure me. When I have it, it works. When I don't have it, it doesn't work.

Back