Trouble resizing 30-06

Shadow9mm

Having trouble resizing 30-06. I have loaded for several years with only a few small issues. I have used Hornady dies for handgun and lee for rifle. I just stared with 30-06 and having much more difficulty than 223 running them through the FL die. Using Hornady 1 shot case lube, followed the instructions, lubed the die and casing well, let it dry for a couple minutes, works great for my 223. Seems to require a LOT more force than 223 to resize. Just has a casing stick, had to pound it out with the decapping pin breaking the pin. I don’t think it is my lube process, but I’m willing to listen. Is this a common issue with the lee dies? I can’t spend a lot but I could switch to Hornady or rcbs if they ran better, but I cant justify much more than about $75 on a new set max. any help would be appreciated, I feel like I’m missing something.

I have not tried the Hornady lube. I have used RCBS and Dillon spray lube.

IMO,they work great! I doubt the Hornady is much different.

As far as I know,these spray lubes are an alcohol / lanolin solution,and you can get lanolin bulk on e-bay.

I put the brass in a container,like a dishtub,spray t down,then shake it to distribute it. Then I do it again. You don't want the brass goopy,but you want to be able to feel the lubricity.

One thing that will mess you up. You said you let it dry "A few minutes"

Try longer. At least 15 minutes,maybe a half hour. You must let the alcohol evaporate away.

Good lube is important, but if you are loading previously fired military cases, you may find that they have been stretched too far, maybe abused in an automatic weapon. I got a "really good price" on some once fired cases a couple years ago. They turned out to be mostly ex-military and a royal pain. Sizing 30-06 should be no different than any other bottleneck cartridge. Unless your die is decrepit, the brass is the likely problem.

Good lube is important, but if you are loading previously fired military cases, you may find that they have been stretched too far, maybe abused in an automatic weapon. I got a "really good price" on some once fired cases a couple years ago. They turned out to be mostly ex-military and a royal pain. Sizing 30-06 should be no different than any other bottleneck cartridge. Unless your die is decrepit, the brass is the likely problem.
could be the brass, i have about 300 pcs, its mixed headstamps (mostly win and rem, with some horn and hxp)but i believe it was mostly fired out of a M1 Grand (they were free from a friend). after i fire it in my gun, bolt, i will have to see how they resize.

As far as I know,these spray lubes are an alcohol / lanolin solution,and you can get lanolin bulk on e-bay.

I put the brass in a container,like a dishtub,spray t down,then shake it to distribute it. Then I do it again. You don't want the brass goopy,but you want to be able to feel the lubricity.

One thing that will mess you up. You said you let it dry "A few minutes"

Try longer. At least 15 minutes,maybe a half hour. You must let the alcohol evaporate away.
will do, i usually just let it sit for about 5min, will try 20

My experience with Hornady One Shot has been disappointing. Following the instructions, it did not lube well enough.

I have been using the RCBS lube, the stuff in the pump spray bottle, not the aerosol. lay the clean cases out in a clean shallow box, 4-5 pumps, the look a little greasy. stir well, repeat, size.

IF you get "oil dents" just wipe the lube off a case neck/sholder and size it. Possibly repeat that a few fully lubed cases later, this will pick up the excess lube. I then tumble after which removes the lube.

decades ago I used the Lyman stuff in the tube and the lube pad. The spray is nicer.

I have been using the Hornady lube for 6.5 creedmoor and 223. I have found that it does work well when you let it dry for a minimum of 15 minutes. Also you need to use more than you think you need. If you do not use the included red tube attached to the nozzle, it does not do a very good job of lubing the cases. Make sure you lube the cases 360 degrees. I rotate my loading block to accomplish this.

I am sure you have likely already done this, but also make sure the die is clean. Debris stuck to the inner surface of the die makes it harder to size as well.

Imperial die wax....the best. A little can will last almost forever.
Lee Liquid Alox (water soluble) is another good one.

Attachments

• FFB4AD49-79F1-4296-94C0-723DD28A7237.jpeg
    FFB4AD49-79F1-4296-94C0-723DD28A7237.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 23
STP (available from most automotive shops) and an ink pad will work well for most sizing operations. If you are having a problem, change to Imperial Sizing Die Wax. Use your fingers to apply the Imperial Sizing Wax. A little goes a long way.

Hornady One Shot aerosol spray is completely different than the RCBS and Dillon pump spray lubes.

Letting the Hornady sitting for 20 seconds or 20 minutes will make no difference. The aerosol stuff evaporates almost immediately.

Hornady One Shot aerosol spray is completely different than the RCBS and Dillon pump spray lubes.

Letting the Hornady sitting for 20 seconds or 20 minutes will make no difference. The aerosol stuff evaporates almost immediately.
i actually have found it does. When i first started on 223 rifle casings i started with the 1 shot then. I managed to stick a casing in the die twice not waiting long enough until i figured out what i was doing wrong. I sprayed it down and went to town. After that i started waiting a couple minutes then starting to resize and has much better results.

Shadow9mm,

Moving up to the .30-06 involves a lot more area to be resized. Hornady One Stuck is not up to the job. PM me and I will give you instructions on how to make your own spray on lube that is heads above better than One Stuck.

Don

I used to use Hornady sizing wax, I'd roll the cases round quick with a bit on my finger tips. Worked well and easy to apply will putting them into the press. But now I use castor oil, have not stuck a case using either of them. I already had a bottle of castor oil in the basement to use up. I got that from the guys over at the Swiss Rifle forums. Works great, cleans up with a quick run through the tumbler.

I have used the One shot with very mixed success on 06. I have had iffy cans and one can that stuck bullets solidly no matter what (30-06 one of my target loads and I shoot a lot of it)

After the bad can of one Shot and iffy on some others, I went back to my Lyman spray.
I work the cases a bit by hand. Its thick and you can wind up with dented cases (mostly ok as long as not sharp creases) but mostly I get it right coverage.

And you are right, the instructions on the One Shot say to spray and let dry. Again with 308.7.5 Swiss and 06 mixed results and sometimes had to spray and use wet.

Hornady One Shot before they went to the spray can was good, the change sucks for larger cases.

if it works for smaller cases use it there and go to another lube for the 06, 308 and the like.

Imperial die wax....the best. A little can will last almost forever.
Lee Liquid Alox (water soluble) is another good one.
Lee Liquid Alox is their bullet lube and is not water soluble , Lee Case Sizing Lubricant is the water soluble lube to use when resizing cases .

If you ever run into sizing lube problems a little STP Oil Treatment , very thick , very slick , honey consistency ...will lube a case when nothing else will . It's only drawback is the slick stuff needs to be wiped off after sizing...it's greasy .
Gary

Back