Trivia question

Using hot soapy water in a metal pot, plus...boiling water from a pan, in order to clean black powder rifle bores in the kitchen.

Using left over bear grease from the cooking, so as to lube bullets.

I was going to guess; Measuring powders by volume.

No, He said Pound cake. It is measured by weight:

"The recipe originally contained 1 pound each of butter, eggs, flour and sugar (about 8 large eggs weighing 2 oz each), thus the name "pound.""

I feel confident in saying the picture provided will NOT win TFL photo of the year.

Salmoneye - you are right that the bayonet preceded the socket bayonet. The trouble with the plug bayonet is that once the plug/handle was inserted into the barrel, the bore was obstructed and the musketman could not fire without fear of damaging his musket (think kaboom). The socket bayonet offered all the advantages of the plug bayonet but added the advantage of an unobstructed bore, allowing the musketman to fire his musket if necessary.

Plug bayonet:
iu

Socket bayonet:
iu

They probably got the mixer from the kitchen that made hard tack.

BTW<those Kitchenaides ARE a machine. I bought someone a HD lift bowl with the rigid head.

The PTO on the front makes them a Kitchen ShopSmith.

If you look on Youtube,you can see the meat grinder/sausage stuffer works real well.

They have a pasta maker,too.Actually,they have a roller type and an extruder type

No guessing on what it means

What is new is old I suppose.
In my previous life, I worked with a variety of instruments and many had/have "Bayonet-Connectors". ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Don't cameras have either screw type or bayonet type lens attachments ?
And I think the 'bayonet ' was first made in Bayonne :rolleyes:[France not NJ !! ]

I was using a kitchen device today. It was more common in the American kitchen of the '30s-'40s but is not as common today. It is still available and many of us use it for another firearm related application.

Using hot soapy water in a metal pot, plus...boiling water from a pan, in order to clean black powder rifle bores in the kitchen.
Actually - in battle - what they used and how they cleaned to bore had more in common with the bathroom than the kitchen ... ;)

Back