Tristar shotguns...any good?

I have a 20 gauge Tristar Hunter that I bought last year and I love it. A solid gun and I shoot it well. No failures of any kind. No soft this or that. Best part is I paid $500 for it. I'm a casual clays shooter so if the gun lasts me 2,500 rounds or 25,000 rounds It'll be OK. Hopefully it will last as long as my Browning BSS has lasted (and still going strong). If someone wanted to get into the O/U scene I would highly recommend a Tristar Hunter. (I bought the Hunter rather than the Setter because I wanted a steel receiver making it a slightly heavier gun). Good luck with whatever you choose. I also have a .410 Stevens 555 O/U. Love that too and it too is Turkish.

From what I've read on them they seem pretty fine really.

That being said, for defense, I'd rather have a Mossberg or Remington Police. I think the extra few dollars is worth it.

my browning BSS 20ga hase been thru 3 generations of shooters so far since the mid 70,s and has fired thousands of shells with no repair-replacement of any parts and has only been cleaned after use, both factory and reloads. I realy don,t think you will get kind of use-life with a tristar.

My grandson was beginning trap shooting in Jr. High. His dad bought him a Tri-Star O/U. It went well during the season, then broke at the State Tournament. I can't remember the exact problem, but he was still able to shoot it. There is a gunsmith who has a trailer at the big events, working on Brownings, Berettas, Perazzis, etc., but he refused to even look at a Tri-Star. The dealer he bought it from sent it to Tri-Star's warranty station in the US, and they said they couldn't fix it and sent back a new gun. This one made it through the whole season the following year. No problems thus far.
A friend who winters in Las Vegas wanted an economical trap gun to shoot with his friends out there. He asked me about the Tri-Star. I told him he would be the bastard child at the range but it would probably serve his purposes.
My only personal experience with Turkish shotguns is a Turk hammered side by side, that I used for Cowboy Action shooting. It worked well.

I have 4 Tri Star shotguns. They are excellent. I hunt birds with a Setter 410 OU. I bought my son a 28 Ga OU lightweight that weighs less than my 410. He hunts woodcock with it and he’ll take it for pheasant too. We are left handed shooters so we bought the 12ga 3” autos. His is camo and mine is black. Both have the soft rubbery over mold that’s easy to grip with wet hands. They have all been great guns. The Turks have been making shotguns for generations. The TriStar guns are made just for them. The TriStar company stands solidly behind the product. Is it a Beretta? No. Is it $1800? Not even close. Good solid well made guns at great prices with great backing.

Hear pro and con about most gun's being made. Some guy's love'em and other guys don't. Seem's to me that most the guy's that don't like them are usually guy's that have never tried them. For awhile I was considering one of those Tri Stars with a 24" barrel or if I couldn't find it a 26" barrel. I've never owned but one semi auto in my life and that was a long long time ago. So I have nothing to base an answer on. What attracted me to them was the looks. Let's face it, if you've never seen but a photo of a gun, how do you have a clue what kind of gun it it? Made in Turkey? Well junk used to come out of japan too didn't it, they don't turn out junk anymore. The Tri Star is inexpensive enough to try I think. If I was still thinking of an auto, I'd certainly be willing to try one. Only semi auto as good looking as it is IMO, the 1100 Remington and the one's I've handled are heavy!

So I have gone back to my first love, SxS's. Found an AyA mod 4 26" barrel's 28ga that weight's 5# and that money I'm waiting on get's here in time, I'm gonna have it. Still might consider a semi auto after that just for the heck of it. It would end up at my son's anyway! it's not like I would be sinking my life saving's into it!

Thanks for the field reports. I think this is a winner for my situation. My wife shoots maybe 100-200 shells in a year. This will be just fine for that.

Agreed

Given the low round count I would do the same. The Turkish guns are getting better. Fit and finish has improved.

Back