Triple 7 experience

I didn`t much care for the buck of the 777 loaded with no fillers in my 45 cartridges so I called the folks at Hodgen powder co ...I told them the problem with a full load and they told me it would be ok to use a solid filler but just not to use loose fillers like corn meal ...By solid they ment card board disks only ...so I gave it a try , and it worked well ..but I don`t enjoy punching card board all day ..So I bought some Schofield brass , no fillers needed in the shorter Schofield brass ..and only needs to have 26 grs of the 777 to seat a 250 gr bullet on top .:D

You're a smart man there Sundance I'd say you were holdin' the high Cards when you done that... I don't mind punchin' holes in cardboard but from the trigger end.

1zz6s2f.jpg

SG

OK, I'll 'b ump' & ax' a question= Where are some good sources for schofield brass (& what kind of accuracy are you getting with those 777 loads?).

I bought the Schofield brass and schofield dies at Midway ..good prices , my 45 lc Colt brass was starting to split anyway ..it was time for a rebrassing .
I `ve heard some folks say they can adjust their 45 Colt loading dies to load the Schofields ...I tried it with my Lee dies and couldn`t get that much adjustment ...so for less than 25 bucks I went ahead and ordered the die set . I`ve always used the 250 gr Oregon Trail RNFP bullets ..and with the 777 Accuracy impressed me I shoot small targets at 25 yards and further the groups were tighter than my 45 LC loads with plenty of punch for target shooting ..I haven`t put any through my crono yet ...I`ll get around to it one day .The Schofield rounds work fine in all my guns chambered for 45 LC ..even my Uberti 1860 Henry ..it functions flawless with them .

Great afternoon at range with Pyrodex

I decided to try pyrodex again because I couldn't get any BP and I was bummed out by the results with 777. Learned a couple things:
--Pyrodex did great. My 51 .36 Navy shot into great groups and functioned--well, like a '58 Remington.
--My 60 Colt also did great and it's still breaking in.
--My Pietta New Army Rem. shot into one big hole at 50'!
--My Urberti New Army.... not so good---but not bad at all 3".
I'll ad more details when I check my targets.

OK here's the crazy part. I shot some of the 777, but for the hell of it, I COMPRESSED it, just like the pyrodex. I know, compressing 777 should disrupt the time-space continuum. But it shot more accurately than than when I tried to just seat the ball on it--probably because the compression was consistent.

BTW, these were stout 777 loads in the Pietta 1858-- 34 grains of 777.

Conclusions: Pyrex is the best way for ME to go if BP isn't available. And (Pyrodex suffers from a bad rap--it cleaned up easy with soap and water, to boot.)

In my limited experiment, I compressed 777 with the underbarrel rammer and improved accuracy and didn't blow myself into next Tuesday.

I just want to say that I do NOT recommend anyone else compressing 34 grains of 777 in a '58 Remington. It might be that the saint that watches over fools and c&b shooters was working overtime.

Finally, my good day was likely a result of my becoming experienced with c/b revolvers, Treso cones, and my revs reaching optimum operational level after a bunch of tinkering and many rounds down range.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't thank the guys--which is everybody-- on this forum that helped me through the fog.

Have a good weekend, y'all--happy trails and keep your powder dry.

I'm going for the hike Saturday in a part of the Utah West Desert (Faust and west) near the Pony Express trail where the jack wabbits lurk. The Pietta '58 will be on my hip.

Back