Trigger Squeeze

This might sound stupid but it's the way I shoot. When I line up my sights one a target or especially draw my bow, I ask myself, "does this picture feel right?"

Nice pistol. I can't help you Double K from my experience. The closest I can do so is suggest from what I know. As a traditional archer, I warm up with a light bow just like a rifleman warms up with a .22 or maybe even an air rifle. My natural point of aim is first. I shoot with my eyes closed so I don't chase a point. I feel for form, namely the anchor point and release. At 10-15' I try and ignore the sound of the aluminum shafts hitting each other. At best, my arrows are grouped tight. Maybe you can do the same at close range. Close your eyes and feel for trigger press and the pressure on your wrist.. With a good group, you can open your eyes and shoot at the bullseye.

Natural point of aim was also taught to me as an important factor in shooting. I don’t advise shooting a firearm with your eyes closed, but I have done draws from the holster with my eyes closed to confirm that my stance and grip allow a natural point of aim that is on target.

With your experience bow shooting I would think you have a leg up for firearm shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I think FireForged is missing the point about the firing process. As you consciously take each process to master, it becomes a habit or part of your unconscious. The unconscious can do many things at once like running across rough terrain. This becomes part of a flow eventually like the running example. By then, you are consciously focusing on the flow. Just shooting thousands of rounds down range doesn't guarantee the same result.

One thing that's hard to get across to the regular guy is that regardless of how much you shoot/train there are days because of outside factors your just not able to shoot well, on the other side of the coin there are days when your totally in the groove and hold and trigger control is flawless.
Where I notice it is at protracted shooting tournaments, for me it seems I either get better over the course of a week or worse, trigger control is at the heart of this because my hold always gets better with practice.

I think this is common in sports. You reach this plateau and no matter how hard you try, you just stay there. Then, for some reason you take off and improve.

I don't care for the use of the term "stroke" while it is fine in a literary sense, everything I can think of that one strokes implies a back and forth motion, and I don't use a back and forth motion as one motion when shooting.

I pull or press the trigger and then releasing it is to me a separate thing. Something one does in between trigger pulls, not as part of the trigger pull.

Of course it depends on how and what you shoot. Rapid fire with a semi auto requires letting the trigger go forward until it resets. Firing a single action revolver doesn't matter when you release the trigger as long as you do it before cocking the gun for the next shot.

I think FireForged is missing the point about the firing process.

I am sure that I am missing all sorts of points on many levels within this subject as well as many other fields of study. There is nothing special about me but I have been around the block a good bit and have had the occasion to partake of a good bit of training over many decades.

Sometimes you simply need to check a box and not dwell on things. You sometimes need to check a box and move on to more crucial or complex training, knowledge or skill. When I say "check a box", I am talking about learning and developing a skill to a competent degree and move on without loitering or dwelling on it. Hopefully it is sometime before a person reaches the point of obviously diminished returns.

There are people who will turn things like pulling a trigger into something which is the time and effort equivalent of landing a man on the moon, mapping a black hole or proving the existence of dark matter. People can do what they want but in my estimation, it aint that deep.

Back