Trigger real light on a 686 in SA

"I guess you never heard of the single action only versions of the Model 14 that S&W produced for a while."

Colt also produced a single action version of their Officer's Model Match revolver in both .22 and .38 Spl.

I have close to 50 S&W revolvers. All adjustable sight models and older P&Rs or earlier. I
could count on my fingers how many times I have shot any of these revolvers in double action mode. My reason to buy S&Ws was for accuracy and quality not combat shooting.
I have 3screw Rugers that were bought new in early 60s and have had trigger jobs. They
are slick, still a harder gun to shoot because of long hammer fall. In fact I would say anyone
who is good with a single action will do even better with a S&W in SA mode. Top of the line
Colt DAs were same way. I buy a lot of S&Ws and all are used old models. I have bought a
few that have been tuned with aftermarket spring kits but have never run across one that
has been modified in lock work. Anything is possible though, a look under the side plate wouldn't hurt. I don't buy 586-686 because they are to new but my rule on buying S&Ws
would cover them also. If screw heads are messed up, I don't look further.

Single action is usually for precision shooting, double action for action/defensive shooting. With practice you can shoot very well in double action mode. Some of the new S&W revolvers have a very heavy double action trigger pull and the heavy pull makes accurate shooting difficult. The pull can be made lighter but it may cause misfiring. I have a 625 that is modified for action shooting that is so light it is only 100% with Federal primers.

Quote:
I purchased a 686 today. I was dry firing the 686 and in single action it felt real lite. I felt if i sneezed it would go off.

If you wanted to shoot single-action you should buy one. Why people buy a double-action and then shoot it mostly in single-action defies logic. Learn to shoot double-actions how they were designed to be used...in double-action.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I buy a double action revolver because I can !! It's a choice each person must make for themselves !
I also own many S.A. revolvers & am quite fond of them also, but that being said, a single action is just not the best choice for a carry revolver.
I like to carry a D.A. revolver as my daily carry gun at times, and am quite capable of using it to good effect in D.A. mode ! However, I would deem it irresponsible to use that same revolver in D.A. mode while deer hunting with
it, as I am quite sure most any responsible hunter would agree !!
So, that being said, anyone has the option to buy what he likes and use it as he chooses.

Jim

Gun shoots like a dream. There is nothing wrong with the gun. I will not go off in SA if I sneeze. I shot 50 38 special rnds and 50 rnds of 357 158 grain and it begged for more.

Back