Tricks, tips and myths to attract deer.

Guaranteed to attract a 12 pointer,,,

Lean your rifle against a tree,,,
Drop your pants to do your business,,,
The huge pointers will come out to watch you.

'nuff said?

Aarond

Have a buddy from Alabama who likes to say "illegal is a sick bird." :o

Not condoning it, just always thought it's a funny saying.

It might pay to clear some scrub trees and plant a nice hybrid oak tree:

http://www.oikostreecrops.com/store...History=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=149

A few trips out to it with some water for the first few summers can go a long way toward getting it established. Once the tree is mature - it puts out a ton of acorns.

I had an English Columnar Oak that normally doesn't produce acorns for the first 10 years, produce acorns after 3 years, had a big crop in years 5 and 6.

It's kinda like those complex salt licks - maybe it doesn't get you a deer the first season you do it, but it pays off over time, especially if you are taking your kids hunting.

We had a couple of feeders up that went off at 0800 and 1600. They worked pretty good. In another spot there was no place to hang a feeder so we just dumped corn on the ground. The deer always hit those 3 spots, depending on which surrounding area they bedded in.

I have tried C'meer Deer...shake and take and the 3 day harvest and it was just more money than corn.

We have put out just about every mineral that they sell at Bass Pro Shops and the deer hit them pretty good.

I have tried several scents and nothing. This past year I might have had one deer interested but no conclusive results.

I wash my cloths in Primos Silver XP, Scent Away dryer sheets, then use the and store them in bags. I also shower with Primos Silver body soap and shampoo. Not sure if it makes a difference or not.

Remember that ALL States are different and what you can do in one you might not be able to do in another. Just because you can't do a lot of the things listed in this thread doesn't mean others can't where they hunt.

I dig some good dirt with a strong odor, mostly under thick leaves, and throw a few scoops in a paper bag. Then throw my hunting clothes right on top the dirt and let it sit for about 3 weeks before season starts. I also found the scent wafers that pin to your clothes that work extremely well. You can find it in Earth to Pine scent. Depends on where I'm headed. I think they also have estrus sent too.

I've never used a feeder or "bait". Not opposed to it because I believe I would use it, I just don't think its legal here. I have sat on a few clover patches. Same thing?

I have always liked the scouting part of hunting. Do the work during summer and a bit in early fall has always panned out well for me. Find their water, food, and bedding and catch them between somewhere.

Good point about the legality of baiting in various states.

For example, using anything other than plain salt in the state of Alabama is baiting, and if done prior to 10 days to hunting an area, is illegal.

So, I question the statement from those in Alabama that bait and then state "it works", assuming of course if the definition of "it works" is actually killing a deer vs. just getting them to come back after 10 days. Essentially, they are admitting to illegal hunting on a public forum.

Last edited:
@FTG.....I would give them some lea way on that. I will talk about baiting as when I lived in PA we could legally do it for a few years. I still hunt up there but we can't bait. Sometimes I respond about the baiting and if one were to look at where I am at now, VA, they would/could think that I am/did do something illegal.

I find it funny that so many places have these huge deer problems, yet they don't let people bait. We could bait in PA for a few years but then they stopped it. They claimed that it wasn't working. My buddy and I don't really agree with that cause we saw/shot a lot of deer over corn in the years they let us do it.

Wish they would let us do it at least here in the Northern part of VA where they claim we have way too many deer.

Lay on the ground and make sounds like an apple. When they come up to you blow in their ear and they will follow you home. :D

I have found that the best way to see deer is to have an elk tag in my pocket. The best way to see elk is to have a deer tag. When i can hunt either at the same time I see lots of trees and grass but no deer or elk. :D

Deerhunter, I clarified my post to explicitly state that I was referring to the state of Alabama. Other than that, there is no "leeway" on the subject of deer baiting in the state of Alabama.

I dont bait deer for hunting, but I do enjoy enticing them into camp. Raw potatoes and apples work well. Just cut them up into bite sized chunks.

Hmmm... wondering if those against baiting ever hunt over soybean,tobacco,sorghum,corn,clover or alfalfa fields. Or any other crop planted by farmers in your respective areas. Or maybe hunt stands of oak,beech or hickory trees. I hear the deer love the orange groves down south. Maybe hunt over known watering holes?

Since we know this is where the deer are going to feed or water, aren't we all using some type of food/water as bait??? :confused:

Try slowly making your way through the woods in the middle of the day. I've shot too many 10 pointers to not stand behind it. Most of the time I wear no camo. Just dark colors and my orange. Hunt with the wind in your face and try not to make any quick moves. The deer are always there. You have to realize that the second they see you, they freeze. They will stand there and watch you 99.9% of the time without you even knowing they're there. It's only when you get way too close do they blow n go. As far as bait goes, I personally think it's unethical. But if you would really like to know what gets em in.... Sugar products, plain n simple. These creatures eat corn, acorns and other junk that doesn't taste great all the time. It's no wonder that they go nuts on sweet stuff when presented the chance. My buddy swears by Bisquick pancake batter. Me personally I've seen a lil six pointer lickin on my spit out skoal wintergreen.

Hmmm... wondering if those against baiting ever hunt over soybean,tobacco,sorghum,corn,clover or alfalfa fields. Or any other crop planted by farmers in your respective areas. Or maybe hunt stands of oak,beech or hickory trees. I hear the deer love the orange groves down south. Maybe hunt over known watering holes?

Since we know this is where the deer are going to feed or water, aren't we all using some type of food/water as bait???

In NY, it's illegal to hunt over baits. HOWEVER, all those things you listed are not baits. If they grow out of the ground "naturally", they are not considered baits. Using cut up apples, salt licks, piles of corn, etc. is considered baiting and will get you arrested in a hurry if you get caught.

In NY its illegal to hunt over bait.

I understand in some states 'baiting' is illegal and we need to follow the law as interpreted/stated in the area we're hunting in.

If they grow out of the ground "naturally" they are not considered baits.

So in NY, its illegal to hunt over a pile of corn,apples,etc., but I can plant a small hunting plot in the middle of the woods(not a big food plot), hunt it and thats legal/ethical? Too, are deer scent attractants legal in NY? If so, would you consider them a form of 'bait' also?

Last edited:
So in NY, its illegal to hunt over a pile of corn,apples,etc., but I can plant a small hunting plot in the middle of the woods(not a big food plot), hunt it and thats legal/ethical? Too, are deer scent attractants legal in NY? If so, would you consider them a form of 'bait' also?

Correct. If it's growing out of the ground, it's legal.

Scent attractants are legal in NY. I wouldn't call them a bait, though I don't have a justification for that. There's an ethical grey area there. I don't use them, though I've tried in the past, because I've never had any luck with them.

Back