Traveling to California

Exit_Wound

I have a few questions about my options traveling to California and I was hoping y'all could help!

1. I will be flying, what's the process for checking my pistol? Can I check ammo separately?

2. Do I need to register once I get to California, even though I will only be there for a week?

3. Can I carry a loaded gun in my car/hotel room?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

1. Unloaded in a locked, airline approved case.

2. Declare when checking baggage. Yes.

3. You can have loaded and unlocked in hotel room. Needs to be unloaded and locked in car. Ammo can be in same container and loaded in magazines, but not inserted in gun.

It's also illegal to "import" magazines that accept more than 10 rounds.

Ammunition & gun MUST be locked in different/separate lockable containers while being transported in auto.

As stated, don't bring/import any mags that hold more than 10 rds.

I left CA in 1992. Go back 1-2 times each year to visit friends and family. Don't even try to take a gun with me. Laws are far too restrictive and complex.

Don't even try to take a gun with me. Laws are far too restrictive and complex.

I would agree. If its just one week its probably not worth the hassle. The laws here are one of the reasons I want to move back east. I kind of wish I would have done it as soon as I got out of the service.

Last edited:
I have a Calif lawyer friend visiting me who indicated the laws are so complex and ever changing that he has no idea what is legal anymore. "Leave your guns at home son" as the song goes (I think).

I don't know about transporting a firearm on a plane. I didn't know it were legal in any circumstance (locked container, etc) at the federal level. Personally, I wouldn't even walk up to an airport main entrance and make any inquiries about a gun. You're apt to make the national news - knowing this countries' media. And ammo on a plane is completely out of the question - it's considered an explosive.

I would be inclined to arrange to ship the firearm to a Ca FFL, and pick it up when you get there.

Vehicle transport (without a CCW): The gun must be unloaded and in a locked container. That "locked container" may be your car's trunk. That locked container may not be the glove box or center console, however. The ammunition and the vehicle's occupants must be on the other side of that locked container. If the vehicle does not have a trunk (liftback, SUV, truck), then it must be in a locked briefcase, etc. It is okay to have loaded mags (10 rounds maximum) or speedloaders - as long as they are outside that locked container.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to register your firearm.

You may bring the gun - unloaded - into the hotel room, in a state of concealment (individual hotels my have their own policies). You may load and make ready the gun when you get to your room.

If a gun is sent to a FFL in California, would it be subject to the waiting period, before being able to retrieve it?
If so, that would ruin the effort, right there.

San Diego Airport Circa 2005

I had packed my Ruger Govt. target model with scope in my checked bag, no ammunition.
I lined up at the ticket counter and when it was my turn I declared that I had a handgun in my suitcase which of course I was checking for the flight.
The gal behind the counter was none to friendly after me making the declaration but processed me and sent me to TSA. Just go down there sir and turn your suitcase over to TSA for inspection.
I did as instructed, they instructed that I wait while my bag went through X-ray. Next thing I knew a San Diego cop was at my side. Sir there appears to be a prohibited item in your luggage. I of course said yes my target pistol is in the suitcase. Where is your form? What form no one gave me a form?

Turned out the little anti-gun BITCH behind the airline counter basically set me up. In fact when I and the nice policeman (really) went back to her she flat denied that I had declared the handgun. I started going off on her, the cop took me to the side and said no worries. It's obvious to me you were not doing anything wrong......we have had trouble with her before.
All the while the little bitch is standing there grinning. Me and the cop did the paperwork and he wished me a good day, he was a nice guy. This situation could have been FAR worse.
Some people.......

If a gun is sent to a FFL in California, would it be subject to the waiting period, before being able to retrieve it?

No wait period (that only applies to purchases). There may be a fee for the service ($25 or $50, usually), but no wait period. FFL's in Ca do this sort of stuff all the time.

And per Ricklin's story, I'd recommend the FFL method.

Thanks everyone, I'm disappointed, but I suppose I'll leave it at home...

Hollow points are illegal in San Fran!?!

Nuts.

Any advice on pepper spray? Baseball bats? Mag lights?

Travel with guns....

This topic comes up often.
The TFL staff may want to put up a FAQ section & add/update this common ? .

In short, check the www.tsa.gov site, www.faa.gov or your airline's website for SOPs/regulations.
Make sure the firearm is unloaded, secure it as required(in 2007 I was advised to use a TSA approved lock but that SOP may have changed).

Give your & your family plenty of travel time & plan around your flight/check in.
Stay calm, polite & speak slowly/clearly.
Do not use sarcasism humor or be aggressive. Checking firearms or weapons shouldn't be an ordeal but don't expect the TSA or airline staff to jump thru hoops or get excited because you want to fly with a checked firearm.
I would not carry any rounds in the luggage, just buy some ammunition when you get to your destination.
Check www.nra.org www.gunlawguide.com www.handgunlaw.us .

ClydeFrog said:
In short, check the www.tsa.gov site, www.faa.gov or your airline's website for SOPs/regulations.
Interesting. The TSA site has changed, and now provides essentially zero information. However, that may be an improvement. The TSA FAQ site used to advise people traveling with a firearm to give the key or combination to the locked gun case to the TSA inspector. Doing so was (and is) 100 percent contrary to what the law actually requires, which is that the passenger retain the key or combination at all times. You can open the locked case for them to inspect, but do NOT give them the key or combination.

ClydeFrog said:
Make sure the firearm is unloaded, secure it as required(in 2007 I was advised to use a TSA approved lock but that SOP may have changed).
This was bad advice. It's okay to use a TSA lock (to which every TSA agent and probably almost every baggage handler has a master key) for the suitcase, if you check your firearm case inside a larger suitcase, but the gun case itself should NOT have a TSA lock on it.

Nick_C_S said:
...I don't know about transporting a firearm on a plane. I didn't know it were legal in any circumstance (locked container, etc) at the federal level. Personally, I wouldn't even walk up to an airport main entrance and make any inquiries about a gun. You're apt to make the national news - knowing this countries' media. And ammo on a plane is completely out of the question - it's considered an explosive...
Nope. In general it is legal to travel by commercial airline with a gun and ammunition in your checked baggage, BUT you must follow correct procedure. Details are available on the TSA website. Also check your airlines website, because the airline might have special requirements.

However, be advised that because of an unfortunate federal court of appeal decision in the third circuit, one should not consider flying with a gun from (or arriving with a gun at) an airport in New York or New Jersey. See this thread, and note post 13 for more information.

Nick_C_S said:
...I would be inclined to arrange to ship the firearm to a Ca FFL, and pick it up when you get there....
Nope, that would be a truly lousy idea. Under federal law the FFL would not be able to give the OP possession of the gun since the OP is not a resident of California.

Nick_C_S said:

No wait period (that only applies to purchases). There may be a fee for the service ($25 or $50, usually), but no wait period. FFL's in Ca do this sort of stuff all the time....
And yet more bad information. See above.

Travel....

All I know is that I went thru a major US airport & TSA will 0 problems.

As I stated, the travel SOPs & government regulations may be subject to change.

Clyde

I would like someone to show me the PC that requires ammo and weapon to be separated. Can't be in chamber or well but I can find nothing that says the gun and ammo to be separated.

Back